C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Conv. available FS, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:42 AM
uknomoose
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Edit; BOUGHT IT! "65 Conv. available FS, need advice"

Hey guys, looking for some input on an opportunity to buy a ’65 convertible. Originally an L79 car, 4 speed, rear exhaust, ermine white with red interior. The original motor and trans have been lost, frame was chemically stripped and epoxy painted 30 years ago before being stored indoors. Original rearend and halfshafts were rebuilt at the same time and stored with the frame. The body was stored outdoors, under a tarp. The birdcage looks better than expected. C-channel are still solid with green zinc chromate showing, some surface rust. Behind the glove box, under windshield poses the same surface rust. Outside under the windshield, I cannot see without removing chrome, etc. I expect rust here needing repair.Still has the red dash, good gauge bezel and original gauges(clock and radio too) but I will be replacing/refurbishing, glove box is there, shifter console is average for age. Telescoping steering wheel is there, but needs some work. Carpet and seats are TOAST. GONE. Long gone, no hope for repairing the seat frames. There was a tarp over the windshield and dash, only reason it looks decent. Top frame is there, but needs refurbishing and needs a top. Door handles, rear emblems, gas cap, taillight housings are pitted. Rear bumpers were stored inside, but need refinishing.No front fenders or hood at all. Firewall back is there, but needs work on the quarters.That’s a pretty good snapshot. Sorry I don’t have any photos. Given this info, what ballpark value would you guys put on this package?

Last edited by uknomoose; 10-21-2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Updated Status
Old 10-04-2018, 12:29 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Moving to General Discussion area.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just to clarify, you'd be buying it without motor or tranny, correct?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:38 PM
uknomoose
Advanced

That is correct.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Sounds like you may have a part of a decent body shell and birdcage....its a $8K-$10K (I wouldn't touch it personally) major project IMO and that's if the body is perfect and paint-ready.....you are missing some MAJOR pieces whether you go back OEM-style or restomod it. Seats alone are $$$ -- then add gauge restoration, replacing the chrome, fenders, hood and on and on and on....

It will be hard not to be upside down in this car if not impossible...you don't even have an original drivetrain to sell off and reduce your basis in the car if you wanted to restomod it...

IMO - if you want to make a small fortune on this car -- then start with a large fortune...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-04-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:49 PM
uknomoose
Advanced

Absolutely, its big and expensive project. But I'm not afraid of it. I can tackle the mechanicals myself, but paint and body is not my forte. I will be upgrading brakes and suspension, newer rearend, and moving to an LS drivetrain, in my garage before sending it all off to a professional for bodywork. Once its back, I can complete the interior myself.

I have been researching coupes for a project, but they are just too high $ for me to start on. This car, I can get for under $10k. But I have no frame of reference with convertibles, and the deal is moving fast. I don't know if its too much money or too little. You know, if it seems too good to be true.....
Old 10-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by uknomoose
That is correct.
For comparison, I paid in the teens for a '64, original 250 hp engine and 4-speed, good body but needed a frame. Bumpers and seats are driver quality, radio works, soft top has a broken bow but seems all there. If the fun of doing the work is what you're after, being upside down isn't a big deal. If you have any hopes of having a cheap Corvette, forget them. How is the paperwork - is the VIN tag still there, does the trim tag match what the body is? Does the VIN on the frame match the paperwork?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Absolutely, its big and expensive project. But I'm not afraid of it. I can tackle the mechanicals myself, but paint and body is not my forte. I will be upgrading brakes and suspension, newer rearend, and moving to an LS drivetrain, in my garage before sending it all off to a professional for bodywork. Once its back, I can complete the interior myself.

I have been researching coupes for a project, but they are just too high $ for me to start on. This car, I can get for under $10k. But I have no frame of reference with convertibles, and the deal is moving fast. I don't know if its too much money or too little. You know, if it seems too good to be true.....
Well you've got the right attitude it sounds like....
I CAN tell you that a friend bought a complete, but disassembled 63 one-owner convertible that was local to my area about two years ago with a no-hit body and original running gear - he restomodded it. The cost was $15K which was a super low price IMO. The car should have prob brought 30%-40% more...

Old 10-04-2018, 01:02 PM
uknomoose
Advanced

Vin and trim tags are there, clean title. I personally don't want a numbers matching, original car, because it's too much worry for me when diving. I'd rather have something that looks older, but updated, and something that I'm more comfortable with fixing in case I tear it up.
The following users liked this post:
USMC 0802 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Vin and trim tags are there, clean title. I personally don't want a numbers matching, original car, because it's too much worry for me when diving. I'd rather have something that looks older, but updated, and something that I'm more comfortable with fixing in case I tear it up.
Well - you'll get better estimates with pictures.... If the birdcage is bad in ANY regard then its a pass in my book...the frame would be the next issue if you plan on re-using it....the rear crossmember and kick-ups in front of the rear tires especially are rust-prone. Those two things would make this a non-starter for me....
ptjsk (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 01:15 PM
uknomoose
Advanced

The frame was dipped, and repainted 30 years ago. And no evidence of damage or repair that I can tell, anywhere.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:29 PM
uknomoose
Advanced

I'm interested to know, Frankie, what would be your reasoning to pass on such a car, if the buy price was over 10. Is it restoration cost? And if so, what is an acceptable budget for a restoration? I'm clueless, because I do most of my own work. Did so on my last 2 cars, and don't know how others budget their builds. I don't look much past the cost of the parts.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:37 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you can buy it for less than $10k, you better get on it quick. It will be gone in a heartbeat to the next guy that finds it!!
ptjsk (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 01:40 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

the problem with these cars is what you cant see! The more you get into the car the more you may find it needs. Lots of rust you can see in places would be a non starter for me, but then I dont have all the skills necessary to deal with it. So I look for a better car to attack knowing I am money ahead because of my skill limitations.....
Old 10-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I'm interested to know, Frankie, what would be your reasoning to pass on such a car, if the buy price was over 10. Is it restoration cost? And if so, what is an acceptable budget for a restoration? I'm clueless, because I do most of my own work. Did so on my last 2 cars, and don't know how others budget their builds. I don't look much past the cost of the parts.
Its purely personal. I've done some Mustang projects back in the day....don't really want to do that much work anymore. I don't weld or paint but had pals that did. If you have the skills, tools and desire it might be OK....but if you're new to Corvettes you are going to get some sticker shock on the prices of things.... Only do it IMO if its going to be your personal ride for a few years....the 'flip' math won't work I don't think..

Old 10-04-2018, 01:57 PM
uknomoose
Advanced

Thank you, Frankie. That's totally understandable. I've budgeted 20-25k above the purchase price. And yes, I will enjoy it for a very long time, unless someone offers me a nice price out of the blue.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:07 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,936 Likes on 889 Posts

If you can get that for 10K, or less, you better jump on it.

With one exception. As Frankie pointed out already. If the birdcage is bad, I would pass on it too. Simply because I don't have the expertise to R&R an entire birdcage, and it would cost big money to farm something like that out.

Aside from that, and based upon your description, I would already have that thing loaded onto my trailer.

I must say though....20-25K for your restoration cost is very optimistic. Even if you do your own work.

I've been in the middle of a complete restoration on my '63, and I will easily exceed 25K in restoration costs. And that's even with me doing all the work, even body and paint.

Pat

Get notified of new replies

To 65 Conv. available FS, need advice

Old 10-21-2018, 08:40 PM
uknomoose
Advanced

BOUGHT IT! Saw the car, it's a great start for a huge project. I know, big enough to scare most away... fear of being upside down at the end...but, I've made a plan with realistic and informed expectations. Just thought you guys might like to see some pictures.

That forward tilting front clip is very much for sale.

Boxes, and boxes of parts. Best jigsaw puzzle I can imagine.

Factory brakes rebuilt by SSBC.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:33 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,598 Likes on 2,815 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Best of luck with your build!

that is quite a project and I think your budget may be a bit low, but go for it and please start a build thread. We all like to feel like we are there watching without having to do any work!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 AM
65VetteVert
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

That looks like a fun project! If you got all that for under $10k you did good!

I bought a similar 65 project almost 4 years ago, it took me two and a half years to get it done. Start a build thread, it will help you keep motivated and all the guys on here have an answer for any question you can think of.

Good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply: 65 Conv. available FS, need advice