C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Muncie shifter adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:58 AM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Muncie shifter adjustment

'66 Muncie has suddenly begun popping out of 3rd gear under light load or deceleration. Decided to check the linkage adjustment and made up a 0.646 x 3 inch tool from 1/8 aluminum per the manual. Slid under car and realized that I can barely see the adjustment slot let alone get the tool in there.

Can the tool be inserted with the transmission in the car? Can it be done from above with the shifter stud rubber boot removed?

Thanks,
Ralph
Old 08-16-2018, 10:59 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Default Anyone??

Somebody has to have done this adjustment...
Old 08-16-2018, 11:46 PM
fredski
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Inserting tool

Originally Posted by After38Years
Somebody has to have done this adjustment...
just readjusted my resently installed hurst competition shifter.You can only install from under he car.
you need a light to see adjustment slot. I used a long nose plyer to help install the adjustment tool.
If you need a bit more room you can disconnect a shift rod from the trans . Not the shifter.

fred

The following users liked this post:
After38Years (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 04:13 AM
1965fuelie
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

'66 Muncie has suddenly begun popping out of 3rd gear under light load or deceleration. Decided to check the linkage adjustment and made up a 0.646 x 3 inch tool from 1/8 aluminum per the manual. Slid under car and realized that I can barely see the adjustment slot let alone get the tool in there.

Can the tool be inserted with the transmission in the car? Can it be done from above with the shifter stud rubber boot removed?

Thanks,
Ralph

I did the adjustment recently with a helping hand from a friend. He was under the car and I was inside in the driver seat. It was easy to feel on the shifter lever on the left-right movement when the 1-2, 3-4 and reverse shifters were lined up. Has functioned flawlessly after the adjustment.

Last edited by 1965fuelie; 08-17-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:44 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,050 Likes on 578 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It must be done under the car. Yes it is not easy to get the tool in , but it can be done. Loosen all 3 rods to start with.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65 Pro Vette:
After38Years (08-17-2018), eyedocs96 (08-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 07:14 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,967 Posts

A Hurst shifter has stops on 2nd and 3rd gear positions and if misadjusted can prevent full engagement of the gear and popping out. A Muncie doesn't have an adjustable stop for these gear positions so shifter adjustment is usually not a cause of the transmission popping out of gear. If it's that misadjusted you probably can't shift it at all due to misalignment of the neutral gate. Your description sounds like classic symptoms of weak/worn - slider/gear engagement teeth that probably will need to be addressed by a re-build. A bad pilot bushing is another possibility but I believe that more often impacts 4th gear. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,757 Likes on 820 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
A Hurst shifter has stops on 2nd and 3rd gear positions and if misadjusted can prevent full engagement of the gear and popping out. A Muncie doesn't have an adjustable stop for these gear positions so shifter adjustment is usually not a cause of the transmission popping out of gear. If it's that misadjusted you probably can't shift it at all due to misalignment of the neutral gate. Your description sounds like classic symptoms of weak/worn - slider/gear engagement teeth that probably will need to be addressed by a re-build. A bad pilot bushing is another possibility but I believe that more often impacts 4th gear. Just my 2 cents
I think Dan has hit it on the head. 2nd and 3rd gear synchro units take the most abuse. I, too, don't think adjusting it will make any difference. Time for a rebuild. Once you have it out, do it right and go through the whole unit with new brass rings for all of the forward shifting gears. Also, examine the entire second gear synchro unit and replace it if at all questionable. No sense going back in at another date and repeating the process.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 08-17-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:43 AM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
I think Dan has hit it on the head. 2nd and 3rd gear synchro units take the most abuse. I, too, don't think adjusting it will make any difference. Time for a rebuild. Once you have it out, do it right and go through the whole unit with new brass rings for all of the forward shifting gears. Also, examine the entire second gear synchro unit and replace it if at all questionable. No sense going back in at another date and repeating the process.
Thanks to all for the replies. I should have mentioned that the transmission has only about 1500 miles since rebuild, so it's unlikely to be wear. A comment from 1965fulie popped the lightbulb on in my head - The neutral gate has been a little hard to find when moving from 1-2 to 3-4 since the rebuild. I think this is all about the alignment of the shifter and I will hopefully get back under the car today.
Ralph
Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The neutral gate has been a little hard to find when moving from 1-2 to 3-4 since the rebuild. I think this is all about the alignment of the shifter and I will hopefully get back under the car today.
Ralph
Adjust it as described in post #4. Quick, easy, painless.

If you know what the neutral gate is supposed to feel like, and 1-2 lines up with R, have your helper adjust one or the 3-4 rods until the neutral gate is good all the way across..

The only way I'd fiddle with that tool is if I was installing everything from scratch and that would only be to make sure the shifter was centered, fore/aft.

Last edited by MikeM; 08-17-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:55 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

The neutral gate for reverse will line all up, including fore and aft.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:10 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Yes, you can align 1-2, 3-4 on reverse neutral gate. That's what I was saying above.

If you start from scratch and adjust your reverse neutral gate off center, fore/aft, your other gears will be off as well.

Picture for reference and yes, I know it's a BW transmission but same adjustment deal.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:36 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Another vote for syncro’s.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:21 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies. I should have mentioned that the transmission has only about 1500 miles since rebuild, so it's unlikely to be wear.
Ralph
Did they replace any gears or syncro sliders at the time of rebuild? The brass syncro rings only help to engage a gear or upshift/downshift without clashing and they have no effect on kicking out of gear. A typical rebuild usually only includes replacement of the brass rings unless there are complaints at the time of kicking out of gear, which for an experienced rebuilder will then require looking closely at the gear and slider and replacing whichever or both are showing wear. If the gears or sliders were worn and marginal at the time of rebuild - but still holding in gear, they may now have worn beyond the point of no return.

But try the easy stuff first - if the 3-4 shifter arm is way off the neutral gate it may not be pushing the slider all the way forward over the 3rd gear engagement teeth. Adjusting the 3-4 shifter arm to where it is marginally adjusted to favor 3rd gear engagement (pulling the transmission lever fully to the rear) but still allows transfer in the neutral gate might gain you a little.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:41 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Did they replace any gears or syncro sliders at the time of rebuild? The brass syncro rings only help to engage a gear or upshift/downshift without clashing and they have no effect on kicking out of gear. A typical rebuild usually only includes replacement of the brass rings unless there are complaints at the time of kicking out of gear, which for an experienced rebuilder will then require looking closely at the gear and slider and replacing whichever or both are showing wear. If the gears or sliders were worn and marginal at the time of rebuild - but still holding in gear, they may now have worn beyond the point of no return.

But try the easy stuff first - if the 3-4 shifter arm is way off the neutral gate it may not be pushing the slider all the way forward over the 3rd gear engagement teeth. Adjusting the 3-4 shifter arm to where it is marginally adjusted to favor 3rd gear engagement (pulling the transmission lever fully to the rear) but still allows transfer in the neutral gate might gain you a little.
Tried today, but no helper to work the shifter while I was underneath. Will try again tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:14 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,757 Likes on 820 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

A good point made by Dan."'Rebuild" can mean many things. In most cases, it is replacing the blocker rings and that is about it. The brass blocker rings are nothing more than a cone clutch and, as Dan indicated, have nothing to do with a transmission kicking out of gear. Check the invoice of parts and see if any of the synchro hubs were replaced.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 08-17-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie shifter adjustment

Quick Reply: [C2] Muncie shifter adjustment