C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Answer to previous post needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:20 AM
William Buckley
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 48 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist
Default Answer to previous post needed

I posted this on the 24th of the month, and appreciate all of the responses that I received:
"Had a short happen somewhere, and the shop had to replace the battery and starter. Turns out that the female connector that plugs into the five prong ignition switch assembly is burned. It's working temporarily, but it is not a good setup by any means. I cannot find the part number for this female wiring connector that plugs into my five prong ignition assembly anywhere on the Paragon or Eckler sites. I would greatly appreciate some help on finding this part so that I can order it for my mechanic. Thanks in advance."

The finished scenario is that NO ONE stocks the pigtail by itself, and three wiring suppliers will only sell completed wiring harnesses for $800-1000. That's not realistic in my book because the short was cause by my dead man's anti-theft electrical mechanism. The other wiring in the car is OK. I had a couple of people tell me that all '66 GM cars used that same pigtail connected to their ignition switch. If that is correct, I'm going to start looking for this pigtail in some other '66 GM cars in junk yards. Need verification from members here. Is this true that the same pigtail connection was used in '66 GM cars? If true, I need to start looking.
THANKS
Old 07-26-2018, 08:47 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 886 Likes on 635 Posts

Ignition switch harness connectors for all 1966 GM cars are the same. They may be the same through model year 1968 (last year for on the dash ignition switches) if you're looking for one at a salvage yard.
The following users liked this post:
William Buckley (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 08:55 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I'll look up the switch on your last post and see if it matches the one in our 67 - 68 Camaros. Maybe JOHN Z can tell me if they are the same. I have a couple of spare old ignition switches for my 68s and wiring harnesses. I think one of them was cut up, so the only problem is can I find it.
Sounds like you are moving, so don't get in a big hurry as I don't move near as fast as I used to.

Ron
Old 07-26-2018, 09:16 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by William Buckley
I posted this on the 24th of the month, and appreciate all of the responses that I received:
"Had a short happen somewhere, and the shop had to replace the battery and starter. Turns out that the female connector that plugs into the five prong ignition switch assembly is burned. It's working temporarily, but it is not a good setup by any means. I cannot find the part number for this female wiring connector that plugs into my five prong ignition assembly anywhere on the Paragon or Eckler sites. I would greatly appreciate some help on finding this part so that I can order it for my mechanic. Thanks in advance."

The finished scenario is that NO ONE stocks the pigtail by itself, and three wiring suppliers will only sell completed wiring harnesses for $800-1000. That's not realistic in my book because the short was cause by my dead man's anti-theft electrical mechanism. The other wiring in the car is OK. I had a couple of people tell me that all '66 GM cars used that same pigtail connected to their ignition switch. If that is correct, I'm going to start looking for this pigtail in some other '66 GM cars in junk yards. Need verification from members here. Is this true that the same pigtail connection was used in '66 GM cars? If true, I need to start looking.
THANKS
William, was one of them Lectric Limited? I know they will be at Carlisle in about a month and I've always found them to be very helpful. They do supply Corvette harnesses to many of the major vendors.

By the way, are you related to the other William F. ? He was always one of my favorite commentators and one of the most eloquent speakers I ever heard speak. Some of his quotes will surely be repeated throughout time.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-26-2018, 09:18 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,608 Likes on 2,818 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

In that same original thread, I asked you for a picture of your connector (assuming you could easily access it given the damage). With a picture, you could leverage the skills of many people on the forum to help you. However, if it is difficult to photograph, please post a picture and the source of the replacement if you find one as that will help many people in the future. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Looking at Echler's Camaro catalog and the Paragon catalog, the 68 switches won't work for your 66. 66 and 67 are unique. I have ignition switches 694, 697, and 660. Therefore the wiring harness connectors would not fit our 66s.

Ron
Old 07-26-2018, 07:44 PM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

I've talked to Lectric Limited and two other wiring suppliers and they will only sell the whole harness sets for $800-1000. I'm not willing to buy a whole harness set for one pigtail connector.
NO ONE that I could talk to or check with catalogs has this pigtail in stock period.
Avispa seems to have the solution with his post ......."Ignition switch harness connectors for all 1966 GM cars are the same. They may be the same through model year 1968 (last year for on the dash ignition switches) if you're looking for one at a salvage yard" And this is what I was asking about in my second post.
I do not have a picture of the actual pigtail because it is now mounted under my dash jimmy rigged, but it looks similar to this for those people wanting to know what it looks like ............
I need a FIVE slot pigtail and this photo is one having SIX slots.
Thanks for all of you help and responses. I will be frequenting junk yards looking for a 1966 GM vehicle.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

http://www.delmarwire.com/repair-har...ls/gm-pigtails
Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 PM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

http://www.delmarwire.com/repair-har...ls/gm-pigtails
Thanks for the info, Skids, but I have already talked to them, and they do not have the pigtail that I need.
Still trying for someone that has a new replacement, or if that is not available, I'm headed to the junk yards.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:29 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

BTW,what reason did they give you for replacing the battery and starter?
Old 07-29-2018, 07:28 PM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by davekp78
BTW,what reason did they give you for replacing the battery and starter?
The mechanic whom I have used for years, said that the short resulted in the battery going bad, and the starter ruined also.
My knowledge is limited, so I now have a new battery, new starter, and a repaired pigtail since I cannot find a replacement pigtail.
Next step will have to be running the junk yard circuit to see if I can find a 1966 GM car where I can harvest the pigtail from it......... supposed to fit my car.
I've been told that 1966 GM cars all have the same ignition switch pigtail that will fit my '66 Corvette.

Last edited by William Buckley; 07-29-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,035 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by William Buckley
The mechanic whom I have used for years, said that the short resulted in the battery going bad, and the starter ruined also.
My knowledge is limited, .
To be fair, the mechanic is not present to explain what you heard him say, but if that is all we have to go on I'd say he is full of ****. Short circuits happen when a conductor touches something that permits all available current to flow, just like a broken water pipe. Now a short can kill a battery for certain, in no time at all. How it kills a starter would need to be explained to me.

If this was my car I would replace the under dash harness complete. Its not fun, but the harness is available and relatively inexpensive. If you don't want to do that find the pigtail you speak of and have a mechanic or electrician make the splices for you. These need to be done with high quality connectors and shrink wrap. Some prefer solder, I don't use solder but the connections need to be made properly. You do not want intermittent connections on an ignition switch which among other things can put you on the side of the road, in the dark, without any warning whatsoever.

Dan

Old 07-31-2018, 06:11 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I think I've got what you need. I private messaged you. Just provide me with your email address or your mobile phone and I'll give you pics of what I have. It is off my replacement harness that's about 8 years old.

Jim
In God We Trust!

Get notified of new replies

To Answer to previous post needed

Quick Reply: Answer to previous post needed