C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

oh no! water in the fuel I bought..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:29 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default oh no! water in the fuel I bought..

while out driving my 68 Corvette yesterday which was running great by the way, I needed to stop for gas. I put 20 dollars of gas in and when I started the car it kept stalling. I got her home and started to check things out. No vacuum leaks, accelerator is pumping fuel, battery checks out alternator good and timing didn't move. Finally decided to check the fuel and it was about 20-25% water! So I pumped all the fuel out of the tank and will add some dry gas before refilling. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Wow - haven't heard of that problem since the gas crisis back in the 70's. When empty gas station tanks that developed leaks ingested ground water.. When restocked with gas they delivered a nice cocktail of cruddy water along with gas to customers.

I had it happen on a '66 Mustang....drain/refill with fresh fuel and clean/replace the fuel filter - should be fine...

Dribbling a bit of water down the intake is one way old schoolers blow carbon out of the top engine spaces.....it won't grenade your motor...

A bit of rough running is all...a good excuse to take a nice long drive with fresh gas!
Your car may actually run better

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-13-2018 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
frankturbo (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:24 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by wraplock

So I pumped all the fuel out of the tank and will add some dry gas before refilling. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks
I would disconnect the rubber line at the fuel pump and pressurize tang to clear the fuel line. Then fill it up with E 10. I don't know why you'd need dry gas. Ethanol will do the same thing.

Oh, and take the contaminated gas back where you bought it and ask for your money back. Responsible station owners monitor water in their tanks whether it be with a stick or electronically.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

Change the fuel filter...
Old 06-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Would use a bottle of HEET to make sure you got it all.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 PM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold Dragon
Would use a bottle of HEET to make sure you got it all.

Heet the same stuff we put in our home heating oil tank? I've got a case of that

Don
Old 06-13-2018, 12:52 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I never buy gas at stations that do not have real high volume. Price for me is not the first consideration, clean gas is
Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Go back to the station and ask them how they are planning to handle this situation for you.

A friend of mine got contaminated gas at a Shell station 5 or 6 years ago.

When all was said and done, it ended up costing about $1200 to deal with the injectors (2007 Trailblazer), etc.

The gas station owner paid the entire cost,
Old 06-14-2018, 07:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I don't think you are going to incur a dime of cost beyond the price of a tank of good gas (and a bottle of magic goo - which isn't necessary if you drained the tank IMO).

I'd let the gas station owner know as a courtesy but then get on with my life... If he offers you some reimbursement for your trouble fine; otherwise I wouldn't go medieval over it...
Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,612 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by wraplock
while out driving my 68 Corvette yesterday which was running great by the way, I needed to stop for gas. I put 20 dollars of gas in and when I started the car it kept stalling. I got her home and started to check things out. No vacuum leaks, accelerator is pumping fuel, battery checks out alternator good and timing didn't move. Finally decided to check the fuel and it was about 20-25% water! So I pumped all the fuel out of the tank and will add some dry gas before refilling. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks
I had a snow plow truck that would get water in the tank from
condensation by sitting all summer.
I would put in several canc of dry gas into it before I realized that the dry gas was eating up the electric pump every other year.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:30 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

Dry Gas......
Old 06-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't think you are going to incur a dime of cost beyond the price of a tank of good gas (and a bottle of magic goo - which isn't necessary if you drained the tank IMO).

I'd let the gas station owner know as a courtesy but then get on with my life... If he offers you some reimbursement for your trouble fine; otherwise I wouldn't go medieval over it...
I agree with Frankie, I think you have already handled your problem, I also think you should let station owner know as a courtesy, however I don't believe I would accept a free tank of gas as settlement if it was offered.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To oh no! water in the fuel I bought..

Quick Reply: oh no! water in the fuel I bought..