C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

So, what if there is no date code cast on 58 block?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 04:33 PM
Lee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So, what if there is no date code cast on 58 block?

I have been thinking of pulling my engine this winter to replace the existing block in the car with a "correct" block. but I have stumbled on a real curiosity

Here's the deal: I bought this car 5 years ago from a close friend. He owned it for 25 years before that. When he bought the car, it had a 2-barrel and 61 heads on it with some of the FI parts in a box. He had assumed a total engine replacement, but rebuilt that 283 block anyway, scrounged up the missing fuel parts and drove it about 200 miles a year. (30 years ago, matching numbers were just not an issue) We had always just assumed it was a replacement engine and part of the sale deal was that he would build me a correct engine. So we have been slowly collecting collecting parts, including a "correct" block.

Being curious about what was actualy in there, I checked the casting number on the block. 3737739 Hmmm, correct for the car. Then I checked the stamp pad. F1114CR Hmmm, also correct for the car, but a 250HP fuelie code, not a 290. Assembly date (nov 14) would be close, car is an early January 58 build. (I don't think the stamping looks quite right, but we know the history of the car back to the late sixties, and no one would have re-stamped the block in the last 30 years. (honest, for sure!...).

So, the question now is the date code. But, there is no date code cast on the block! nothing! No evidence it was ever ground off either. I can find the cast in date code on every other vette block I look at, but not on this one.

After looking forever with a light and a mirror, I finally gave up, stripped off the ignition shielding, the road tube and everything else in the way to see if I could find the date code on my block. It does not exist. Where is should be is a normal looking cast surface with no numbers. Whats the possibility this block never had a date code?

The only thing I can think of is that this might be a 58 to 62 truck or canadian block and the fact that the stamp pad matches is lucky. (no VIN stamped on the pad, correct for '58) Otherwise, it may well be the original block, which would make me very happy. (except its stamped as a 250 horse car, which I suppose is also possible, in spite of the 290HP tach)

So, long story, but what next? This car has only 24,000 miles on it. Do I keep the block that's in it, (stock bore, runs great, right casting number etc.) or use my other block which is "correct" so to speak, but for sure not the original block for this car. (it also has a date code cast in...)

Then, what do I tell the NCRS Judge when he or she looks for the date code?

Any one ever see somthing like this before?

I am stumped.

Old 10-19-2002, 09:40 PM
4_inch_Bore
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: So, what if there is no date code cast on 58 block? (Lee)

My book (Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 ID Guide) has the CR suffix ONLY for 58-61 Vettes, m/t, 250 HP, FI.
It says nothing about SB's having no date code, but it does say that, in addition to the bell housing flange (both sides), some were "INSIDE the block (sump area) at the rear at the bottom of number eight cylinder."

Quick Reply: So, what if there is no date code cast on 58 block?