C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

carpet

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 03:04 PM
JPB04619
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts

Default carpet

i just got my 64 roadster back from paint and it's time for carpet

my question is.....is there any reason i can't use carpet from a 67 ....the 64 carpet has many more pieces and looks like it the 67 would be much easier to install

thanks john b
Old 05-26-2018, 03:09 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

So you're not concerned about being "correct" then?
Old 05-26-2018, 03:50 PM
hcallaway
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Not worried about being correct?

Being new to the C2 crowd I am discovering it is about like every other group I am involved with. You have the group striving to be a 100% correct. From over-spray patterns to line worker markings. This is a level of correctness, I could neither stomach or afford. The Driver crowd runs from it looks pretty much like it was used from new with some imperfections to rat rod or drive it till the wheels fall off. The Restomods where the HP or suspension or any change is not off the table. I pretty much like everything to some degree in every category.

I too want to know where do people draw the line? Bias Ply vs Radial, Electronic Ignition vs Points, Disc brake vs Drum, Updated Master Cylinders, Single Stage Paint?

I think asking a question about correctness is a legitimate question, I just wonder how realistic it is keeping something correct?

Bottom line I was thinking the same thing about using later carpet patterns in my 64, I was just afraid to ask the question. It does look better. LOL
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (05-28-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would say it all depends on how 'correct' the Corvette is.

The car is only original once. And even those cars that are original...when they get judged get dinked on points due to the judging entities sometimes cannot get there act together and know what is correct.

So...If a person wants to put carper in that is a different color or is a different design. I would say do it. HECK..its your car and I guess you bought it for YOUR pleasure.

If a person is all worried about resale. That will ONLY matter to someone who is looking for a correct car. And if they are looking for correct car. TRUST ME..they will find a million other things to point out to you that are wrong and makes their offer for the car be realistic. SO..just do not sell the car to that person.

One thing I do know after doing this for decades is that the car WILL sell. There is always a person looking for it in the condition it is in. Even a basket case. Now some people have unrealistic expectation on what THEY feel their o car is worth..so it may sit on the market forever.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 05-29-2018 at 08:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
hcallaway (05-26-2018), ptjsk (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 10:28 AM
JPB04619
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks for the replies.looks like the answer is that the 67 carpet will fit with no problems and look neater as there are less pieces to fuss with....not worried about "correct" , my car is on a c3 frame with a zz crate engine and an 80 aluminum rear end,,,,,,,,,,and it has a beauteous new black paint job....lol....john b
Old 05-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by JPB04619
thanks for the replies.looks like the answer is that the 67 carpet will fit with no problems and look neater as there are less pieces to fuss with....not worried about "correct" , my car is on a c3 frame with a zz crate engine and an 80 aluminum rear end,,,,,,,,,,and it has a beauteous new black paint job....lol....john b
Then heck yes, by all means use the later molded less tedious carpeting.

Sounds like a nice car. Pics would be enjoyed!
Old 05-28-2018, 08:07 PM
beekppr
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the molded carpet in my 64 and it looked great. Later, I finished the car completely and had to remove it along the way. When I redid the interior, I went with the original multi piece kit and it really looks amazing! I am so glad I did it. Not because it's "correct" but because it just looks cool with all of the stitched edges everytwhere.

Having said that, it's a bit of work. Every night after work, I carefully massaged the next piece into place making sure it was a perfect fit before gluing it. It took time but it fits perfect and the result was worth the effort. The molded one looked pretty good but I found it really hard to get perfect because I was working with one large piece trying to get it to sit perfect over every contour. I'd do another multi piece kit without worry, the molded one I'd probably pay a pro to do.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I thought the floors were different between 63/64 and 65 up? I like multi-piece carpet look as well.

Tom
Old 05-28-2018, 09:24 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,026 Likes on 4,829 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Sky65
I thought the floors were different between 63/64 and 65 up? I like multi-piece carpet look as well.

Tom
The rear area is the same. Only the front was diffreant between the years. If your using black then it will be fine. But the colors for 65-67 carpet is not the same for 63-64.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:17 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
The rear area is the same. Only the front was different between the years. If your using black then it will be fine. But the colors for 65-67 carpet is not the same for 63-64.
That's what I thought. The area under the seats is different? A deeper well under the seats on 63/64. Molded carpet may not fit correctly there.

Tom
Old 05-29-2018, 05:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,085 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

The EARLY 63s had the "toolbox depressions" under the seats (the rumor is for power seats) the later 63 cars did not - there are separate carpet kits for the two variants for this reason from the BETTER vendors. Later 63s and NO 64s had the depressions.

Some vendors have only one 63 offering; no EARLY vs LATE. And coupe and convertible are different. To wit, there are four 63 carpet kits available -- and 64s are not the same as 63; particularly in the area of the rear wheel wells.

CHOOSE WISELY.

A jigsaw puzzle of carpet pieces.

Visit Al Knoch's web site for more info, they are an NSV so I can't post the link..

There is no reason not to use the correct kit for the year (EARLY/LATE) of your car to ensure the proper look and fit.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-29-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 AM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

I am not too hung up on matching numbers this or that, but I do like things to look correct, even though they may not be. having said that, will the carpet fit, yes, so will 67 door cards, should you change them out for the sake of ease of installation, no I don't think so, although the 63-64 carpet is a bit of a hassle to install, I think it looks so much better than the 65-67 offerings, I recently did a complete carpet on a 63 vert, and while it took a bit of time the results were worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 09:04 AM
beekppr
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JPB04619
i just got my 64 roadster back from paint and it's time for carpet

my question is.....is there any reason i can't use carpet from a 67 ....the 64 carpet has many more pieces and looks like it the 67 would be much easier to install

thanks john b
Basically you are ready for carpet and you want it to go in easy and look nice. Trust me, I put both styles in my 64 and found that the correct multi piece kit was not all that difficult and the finished look is amazing. In a way, it goes in easier because you are not fighting with a giant blanket of carpet. Working with small pieces is easier in my opinion.

I wouldn't let all the pieces give the appearance of difficulty. It just takes patience to make sure each piece fits perfect as you go along. I started by making sure I understood the correct order of installation since the different parts overlap one another and you want it to look great afterward without snags along the way. I did a couple pieces each night after work and I always had the next piece in line ready so I could check figment and coverage along the way. If you are patient and detail oriented, it will come out perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To carpet

Quick Reply: carpet