C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Side Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:53 PM
DC10
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
DC, I highly recommend you talk directly to the Ryan at Sweet Thunder, Eric at Classic Chambered, or Allen's. They are the manufacturers and can provide direct experience. Eric at CC was very knowledgeable and helpful. Many happy customers of CC. The only reason I didn't go CC was I didn't want to do cut/fit/welding. I agree with Dan above. Based on my research and your engine displacement the experts above will probably recommend 2 1/4" inner tube. They will also tell what you need to mate to your exhaust manifold. You'll find many happy customers spread across the three manufacturers I've mentioned. Enjoy the process.
Thank you. I spoke with Mike Allen today. He was very helpful. This is where I am leaning. Thank you for the guidance and input.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 PM
DC10
Instructor

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Try Allen's Corvette at www.allencorvetteexhaustsystems.com they specialize in Stainless Steel Exhaust systems including the muffler for C2 Corvettes. They have both Stainless Steel 304 & 409 from which to choose from.

Thank you. I spoke with Mike Allen today. He was very helpful.

Quick question, other than cosmetics, is there any other reason to go to stainless versus aluminized?

Thank you for your input.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 PM
DC10
Instructor

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I think the best thing to do is call Corvette America and try to get them to tell you exactly what each one is and the difference. "Ultra Quiet" and Corvette sidepipes together, are sort of an oxymoron. Makes me suspicious of their advertising.

For you engine I would probably go with a 2-1/4 inch one for a good compromise. If maximum performance were your objective I would say the 2-1/2 inch. If you don't mind a bit of edge off of your full throttle performance then something along the 2 inch would help keep the sound levels down a bit.

I would stay away from stainless steel as it has a reputation for being a bit tinny and harsher sounding. My current, aluminized steel Allen pipes are 20 years old and still don't have any sign of rust.

I've heard good things about Classic Chambers Powerstick chambered pipe sections but I'm not aware of anyone using them to commercially jig up a complete C2 sidepipe set. Maybe someone knows of someone who is doing this.

I have also heard good things about installing a balance pipe between the two sides (H-pipe). An H-pipe usually helps make an exhaust system a bit mellower and less harsh as it balances and blends the exhaust impulses from side to side. It's strictly a custom muffler shop thing and it has to be carefully routed to avoid hurting ground clearance. It doesn't have to be big pipe though - even 1-3/4 to 2" pipe works fine. Probably works especially good if you run your intake manifold with the heat risers blocked off. If you are running them open - probably not as great a difference.
Thank you for the input, especially on avoiding the stainless steel and the 2 1/4. I spoke with Mike Allen today; Allen's is where I am leaning. It is good to know that you have had a good long-term experience with them. This is very helpful.

Last edited by DC10; 05-23-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Read the advice in previous threads.

I wont go through it all here, but I have tried all brands.
If you have extra money, I recommend factory sound sweet thunder.

If you want to save a little and don’t care about factory bends, go with Allen’s aluminized factory sound pipes.

Other than those two, all others sound like total crap.

Last edited by 65silververt; 05-23-2018 at 09:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DC10 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:09 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
Go look at classic chambered exhaust...I used their 2.5 inch pipes and they were great...I should have used 3 inch...also used Hedman coated side pipe headers from Jegs...all fit nice and no issues...I had a local exhaust shop weld the flanges up and off I went.

I want to say the owner's name is Eric maybe? I called him and chatted with him and he is very helpful and will work with you on how to design your pipes if you decide you want something different than he already offers.

As far as noise goes, I don't think the larger pipes are any louder...they are all loud...

This is horrible advise. While he makes some great pipes, they all have a different sound, especially different sizes. Jeez!
DC10 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:17 AM
DC10
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Read the adviice in previous threads.

I wont go through it all here, but I have tried all brands.
If you have extra money, I recommend factory sound seeet thunder.

If you want to save a little and don’t care about factory bends, go with Allen’s aluminized factory sound pipes.

Ither than those two, all others sound like total crap.

Thank you. Can you give me more input on the Sweet Thunder?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:41 AM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DC10
Thank you. Can you give me more input on the Sweet Thunder?
http://sweetthundermi.com/Catalog-Online-Version.pdf

I am getting ready to install the "2.25 Hi Performance". The GNM tube is 3" OD (2.5 ID)and it fits but its tight (I read). My Hedman BB headers only have 1.75 tubes anyway, so I dont think it will matter. My exhaust shop said to go with the stainless, because that's all they use. It seems to me opinion is split on stainless vs aluminized steel. I think I read somewhere that Sweet Thunder has a larger turn radius than Allens.

DC10 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 AM
beekppr
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've always heard that the different materials matter only to longevity but I personally believe the heavier stainless material gives it a slightly different note. There are so many variables that affect sound that it would be hard to say for sure without some controlled testing. I am fairly certain that diameter will influence the note and the volume. I base this on another car where I went from 2 1/2" to 3" keeping muffler brand and everything else identical. The change was noticeable. For a 350 hp small block, I would not go smaller than 2 1/4" ID and I'd lean towards 2 1/2" ID if it were mine.

There are definitely strong opinions on exhaust preferences but I can say for sure that I went with a no name stainless chambered exhaust system in 2" (300 hp engine) that I bought off of eBay. Mine was a package deal with covers and all. It was not expensive compared to other stuff I was looking at and it definitely didn't have any fancy blingy name labeling. The quality is nice in my opinion and it mounted up nicely.

I can tell you it sounds amazing at idle and at speed. I get compliments regularly on how nice it sounds. At idle, it gargles and at speed it snarls. Point is, I don't accept that only one or two companies know what they are doing and everything else is trash. I hear the same thing about how every C2 must have knockoff wheels or it isn't a "real" C2. Exhaust is one of those things that is very individual to each car owner. When you see something you like, you just know you like it even if it's hard to describe why. I think it's the same with exhaust.

I suspect that if you go stainless, chambered, and pick the right diameter, you're gonna love it. I tend to overthink big decisions like this and it appears to me you might be doing the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by beekppr:
DC10 (05-23-2018), Diablo427 (10-08-2021)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

I can remember when the big decision was thrush or Cherry bomb.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgehead
I can remember when the big decision was thrush or Cherry bomb.
I was a Thrush muffler guy. Loved the red & yellow cigar clinching thrush bird logo and sound.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:06 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I was a Thrush muffler guy. Loved the red & yellow cigar clinching thrush bird logo and sound.
That wasn't the Thrush roadrunner -that was Clay-something cams I believe.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, and Thrush mufflers used it too. Not sure what the connection was between the two.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:25 AM
beekppr
Instructor

Clay Smith Cams
Old 05-24-2018, 12:31 AM
beekppr
Instructor

Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt

This is horrible advise. While he makes some great pipes, they all have a different sound, especially different sizes. Jeez!
It's my opinion...thanks...
Old 05-24-2018, 08:09 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by beekppr

Opps - I guess the muffler one didn't have the cigar in it's beak.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:16 AM
beekppr
Instructor

I didn't know the difference either until I googled it after your post. Haha.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Dad's '66 427
Drifting

Received 1,567 Likes on 620 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Wow, flashback time...... The Thrush bird sticker and the Hijackers rabbit sticker were on the rear quarter windows of a neighbors Ford Torino when I was a kid, back in the Starsky & Hutch era..... I remember thinking those were the coolest.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:49 PM
64SilverbluePhx
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 105 Posts

Sounds great!

Quick Reply: [C2] Side Exhaust Advice