C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

question about after i remove the body

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 03:34 PM
ikkarus
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about after i remove the body

The body on the 66 is almost ready to come off now i am faced with what to do with it I have started building a dolly for it that will allow for easy rolling this dolly is based on the frame. I plan on bolting it down to the dolly in the same spots as on the frame.

First question :
Is this going through too much is my fear about the body warping while off for a year or so not reasonable.

Second question :

Does anyone see a problem with storing this body under a car cover outside I live in SC winters are very very mild and but we do get the heat I estimate it being outside for at least a year.

Third :

I noticed one person in teh pictures had his car on those rollers the ones that go under each tire so you can move the car around in your gaurage. Do these things work well are they worth the money ?

Fourth :
Is Eckllers a rip off i know i can get parts from there but is the quality low ?

Thanks for any and all help

John H
Old 10-14-2002, 03:45 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: question about after i remove the body (ikkarus)

The area of concern for body droop is the front. If you support the body at the original attaching points, you should have no trouble with sagging. Just make sure that you are carefull to adequately support the front at the radiator support.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:37 PM
14-Paul
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: question about after i remove the body (wombvette)

I left my 63 body outside in the northeast for spring summer fall, while I had the frame done. I kept the body covered and still rinsed it off once in a while. no big problems, but i did plan on having it painted shortly after the frame work. beware of other family members hitting the car with bicycles, lawnmowers, and whatnot!

I sent the frame out for welding and replacement of side rails, I also replaced the front suspension and sway bars.

If I had to do it all again, i would just send the frame out imediately and do the suspension right after. there's no sense in letting it all sit around to do a little work at a time.

PS, i dont think the body can 'warp', your concern will be if you get frame work done and they cut the frame, will they get the mounts back in precisely the same place? my mounts are a little off and the doors are yet to be properly lined up. pick a shop that does frames all the time (my guy was a one man shop who did only frame restoration) try to find one who has done plenty of vettes.

[Modified by 14-Paul, 9:43 PM 10/14/2002]
Old 10-14-2002, 05:41 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: question about after i remove the body (ikkarus)

I set my 64 roadster body down on my 8' utility trailer. Yeah, it hung over on both ends but the main portion was on the trailer. :yesnod: I just rolled it to the back yard, threw a plastic tarp over it and that's where it sat for a year and a half. When I was done with the chasis I rolled it out back, covered it with a tarp and rolled the body into the garage. Worked for me. :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To question about after i remove the body

Quick Reply: question about after i remove the body