C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Adaptor for air cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 07:17 PM
beekppr
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Adaptor for air cleaner?

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen an adaptor to allow use of an air cleaner with a smaller opening on a modern carb? I see adaptors in the reverse which would allow newer air cleaners on old Rochester carbs but I can't find anything that would let me use my original dual Snorkel corvette air cleaner on a modern carb with the 5 1/8" lip. In looking at the adaptors that are out there, it does not appear that I could simply flip it over to meet my need.

I've seen people cut these air cleaners up to make them fit but I'd never do that. I'm currently using a corvette air cleaner from a later C2 but it would be cool to get the correct look. I'm not concerned with power restriction as it's a low hp build anyway.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:26 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

See your local sheet metal shop and have them make you one.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 PM
beekppr
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeM
See your local sheet metal shop and have them make you one.
I was hoping someone made them. The ones working in the opposite direction are like 7-8 bucks. I'm guessing a metal shop in Southern Ca. would set me back over a hundred. Nothing is cheap in this place.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,984 Likes on 4,804 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Easier to buy the correct carb so no mickey mousing anything.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:21 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

What is the opening size of the dual snorkel?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:24 PM
beekppr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Easier to buy the correct carb so no mickey mousing anything.
Actually, that's my problem. I have the carb on it that I really like. It's super reliable and the engine runs beautifully in all conditions. I even get great mileage.

I also have the original carb on a shelf that will allow me to use the original air cleaner but every time I try to use old carbs, they disappoint me even when they have been professionally redone. From what I've read, the original Rochester carb it came with was nothing but trouble.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:27 PM
beekppr
Instructor

Originally Posted by buns
What is the opening size of the dual snorkel?
4 7/32". Considerably smaller than today's air cleaners at 5 1/8"
Old 01-06-2018, 09:29 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by beekppr
Actually, that's my problem. I have the carb on it that I really like. It's super reliable and the engine runs beautifully in all conditions. I even get great mileage.

I also have the original carb on a shelf that will allow me to use the original air cleaner but every time I try to use old carbs, they disappoint me even when they have been professionally redone. From what I've read, the original Rochester carb it came with was nothing but trouble.
GM used Rochester/Q-jets in cars and trucks to the very end in the early 90’s. They are economical carbs not performance. Either your sending it to someone who is only slapping in a generic rebuild kit and cleaning or it has some bad parts on it. If it has bad parts a good restorer would find them and fix it right.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 PM
beekppr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
GM used Rochester/Q-jets in cars and trucks to the very end in the early 90’s. They are economical carbs not performance. Either your sending it to someone who is only slapping in a generic rebuild kit and cleaning or it has some bad parts on it. If it has bad parts a good restorer would find them and fix it right.
It's not a quadrajet. I agree those are excellent carbs. I might be mistaken. It could be an early Carter. Haven't look at it in a few years. Point is, it's an archaic version of a four barrel that was regarded as merely okay until better designs came along. Whether it Carter or Rochester, the opening is smaller than modern carbs and air cleaners.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:01 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

This thread is like a riddle. Hmm... "dual snorkel" air cleaner, implies a '63-'64 250 or 300 HP engine, with the former having a WCFB and the latter a AFB, which have different air horn diameters.... but, wait, you don't have either of these types installed.

We do know the air horn diameter, but since I haven't memorized that dimension for every four-barrel carb design since the fifties, I can't hazard a guess.

I give up...

BTW, both the WCFB and AFB perform very well if brought back to OE spec and condition by a competent restorer that has a thorough knowledge of these carbs and a good collection of parts for those that Bubba changed or modified over the years.

There is nothing revolutionary about newer designs. The important thing is that the carb configuration is set up by competent fuel system calibration engineers and techs, like the GM guys back in the carburetor days. They spent a lot of time at the proving grounds calibrating the carb for each engine/transmission config. to achieve good cold start and warmup characteristics and good driveability, fuel economy, and performance under all operating and ambient weather conditions. It's somewhat of the black art that has been mostly lost, but they were damned good at it.

My thinking is that since you want to retain the original air cleaner, you are concerned about maintaining original appearance, so you might want to consider a properly calibrated, restored OE type carb.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 01-07-2018 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bodaboom69 (06-03-2022)
Old 01-07-2018, 10:26 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

https://www.holley.com/products/acce...ers/parts/2082
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeM:
64corvettekid (01-10-2018), beekppr (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 10:28 AM
beekppr
Instructor

My question was simply if there was an adaptor that allowed me to keep my current carb with a horn diameter of 5 1/8" and still use the original dual Snorkel air cleaner with a smaller horn diameter of 4 7/32". It would seem no such adaptor exists.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

My question was simply if there was an adaptor that allowed me to keep my current carb with a horn diameter of 5 1/8" and still use the original dual Snorkel air cleaner with a smaller horn diameter of 4 7/32". It would seem no such adaptor exists.
look at the post above you by MikeM
beekppr (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 02:02 PM
beekppr
Instructor

Thanks! I saw this item in my searches but I got the impression it would only work one direction. The link you posted shows some nice close of shots so maybe it would work for my needs. I went ahead and ordered it. For the price, it's certainly worth a shot.

Thanks everyone. I'll post the results for future reference. I know I'm not the only person who has wanted to use the smaller air cleaner on a newer carb since I see these air cleaners cut up from time to time.
64corvettekid (01-10-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 03:38 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 262 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Thanks! I saw this item in my searches but I got the impression it would only work one direction. The link you posted shows some nice close of shots so maybe it would work for my needs. I went ahead and ordered it. For the price, it's certainly worth a shot.

Thanks everyone. I'll post the results for future reference. I know I'm not the only person who has wanted to use the smaller air cleaner on a newer carb since I see these air cleaners cut up from time to time.
I think you’ll be disappointed in this for a fix. Even though the bottom ( for your app.) flange is the larger width, the hole is not big enough to seat on the larger carb body. I know. I tried to go from an Edelbrock carb to snorkel with this as a reducer. It won’t seat on the carb rim. Dave
beekppr (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 PM
beekppr
Instructor

Originally Posted by dkleather
I think you’ll be disappointed in this for a fix. Even though the bottom ( for your app.) flange is the larger width, the hole is not big enough to seat on the larger carb body. I know. I tried to go from an Edelbrock carb to snorkel with this as a reducer. It won’t seat on the carb rim. Dave

Well crp. I ordered it so I guess I'll see where it doesn't work and go from there. I may have to have something made if it's that important to me.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:14 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 262 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Well crp. I ordered it so I guess I'll see where it doesn't work and go from there. I may have to have something made if it's that important to me.
When you receive it, please post again to let us know if it fits. I’m not sure where I got mine or the brand. Hopefully yours will be different. Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Adaptor for air cleaner?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

4 7/32". Considerably smaller than today's air cleaners at 5 1/8"
The difference in diameter amounts to 29/64s all the way around, or just over 7/16s. Assuming that your off-C2 carb has no significant top protrusions (no idea since the carb remains a mystery) the cheapest thing might be to cut that 29/64s (okay, 0 clearance is unsound engineering, so 15/32 around the opening of your dual snorkel air cleaner base - these are not expensive items (cheaper than replacing with a WCFB or an AFB carb).

If there are any top carb protrusions, at that point just cut reliefs in your air cleaner base.

Separately, my '65 came from the last owner with a Rochester 4-jet carb which were never used on any Corvette, but was the most common 4-barrel square bore 4-barrel in the 50s and early 60s. These are cheap replacements in the used car bin for either WCFBs/AFBs/ and Holley 4150s, but they give up a ton in breathing capability. Yes, they are simple to tune, but at what cost?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:55 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,631 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Not sure what year Vette we are discussing or exact type of air cleaner you are trying to adapt. What I have done on a Mopar to adapt a newer Edelbrock carb on an engine originally fitted with an AFB was search out a later air cleaner base for the same diameter upper. Holley carbs with a 5-1/4 inch air cleaner were used on many of these cars. Possibly the base on the current C2 air cleaner you are using will fit the earlier upper air cleaner housing.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:30 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Mike, what carburetor are you currently using on your engine. If you're not sure, post a picture and someone will identify it.

On the chance it happens to be a Holley, have you considered just switching to a later open element air cleaner that Chevrolet used on a variety of Holley equipped SB engines? This one just happens to be for a '66-'67 SB, but they made a wide variety of different bases for just about and SB/BB equipped with a Holley.

Many were swapped out back then so they are certainly period correct for these cars.
Air Cleaner Assembly
Paragon Number: 1009K
Air cleaner assembly, includes triple chrome air cleaner cover. All w/327.
Years: 1966 - 1967
photo courtesy Paragon Corvette Reproductions
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...-assembly.aspx

Good luck... GUSTO
DansYellow66 (01-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Adaptor for air cleaner?