C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Two post door protectors.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Two post door protectors.

Just built a new metal shop and installed a new Direct Lift 2 post. No more creepers and cold concrete floors for me!

My question to you who've installed a 2 post is this.

What do you currently use or, have tried, that best suits you regarding door protection.

It seems as though the areas of the lift most apt to be hit are at the corners of the upright beams.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Gary
Old 11-25-2017, 10:06 AM
427/42566 coup
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

How large is your shop? Are you able to park 3 cars in building,side by side? I have Mohawk 2 post and have no clearance issues.Also depends on how you position car on the lift.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:25 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 842 Likes on 458 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Assuming you are referring to the car on the lift and not cars parked beside the lift, I have pieces of tape on the floor so that I can position my cars so that the doors do not hit the uprights. In the picture below the pieces of tape parallel to the lift arms help center the car between the uprights. The perpendicular pieces are markers where the center of the rear tires should be for the doors to clear.
Charles
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Yes, I'm talking about "with the car on the lift". I have used your idea Charles (btw, where did you find that mat?) however, I plan to use the lift for various vehicles. Therefore, in order to get proper weight distribution, the doors of these some of these vehicles are at the beams and, if not very careful, could kiss the corners.

So, what I'm looking for is a solution to this issue.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 11-25-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:41 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 842 Likes on 458 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Yes, I'm talking about "with the car on the lift". I have used your idea Charles (btw, where did you find that mat?) however, I plan to use the lift for various vehicles. Therefore, in order to get proper weight distribution, the doors of these some of these vehicles are at the beams and, if not very careful, could kiss the corners.
So, what I'm looking for is a solution to this issue.
Gary
It is not a mat. The black section is vinyl tile, as is the lighter colored flooring.
All of my cars are in the 3000# - 3500# range, so as long as the arms reach the lift points on the frame, I don't worry about equal weight distribution. If you need something to cover the corners of the uprights try some roll bar covering or foam pipe insulation.
Charles
Old 11-26-2017, 08:17 AM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a couple of Rotary 2 post asymmetric lifts. Rotary sells a nice rubber protector called Door Defender, part #N823. It is available at a variety of suppliers beyond just Rotary for $75 - $100. Works well, it is a large rubber pad that is glued onto the lift.

I will say that the asymmetric lift design basically eliminates the door dinging issue since the posts are set at an angle and the posts generally do not interfere with opening doors when car is on lift.

Get notified of new replies

To Two post door protectors.

Quick Reply: Two post door protectors.