C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Routing front harness wiring on SRIII frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:59 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 954 Likes on 475 Posts

Default Routing front harness wiring on SRIII frame

For you who have an SRIII frame, where did you route your front wiring harnesses wires to the headlights and light Motors? Factory puts it on top of the inner fender well. Was thinking about the outside of the frame. Any help from you guys who have this setup will be appreciated.

Johnny J
Old 10-07-2017, 11:33 AM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I had asked the same question awhile back for my 63 resto mod. Some suggested conduit in driver wheel well and I think Mike at SRIII offers this option. The problem I found was securing the conduit to the inside of the fender, I ended up epoxying zip tie clips to the top and using some hosing as conduit.

Still not sure the whole thing is not a bubba move but the fender well is as clean as can be.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:14 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by j_66chevelle
I had asked the same question awhile back for my 63 resto mod. Some suggested conduit in driver wheel well and I think Mike at SRIII offers this option. The problem I found was securing the conduit to the inside of the fender, I ended up epoxying zip tie clips to the top and using some hosing as conduit.

Still not sure the whole thing is not a bubba move but the fender well is as clean as can be.
Thanks. I am thinking of going along the side of the frame, on the outside of it and then coming back through where the readiator suppor meets the frame....i will cover with the braided nylon wrap and have even seem some good fabric heat shield at Summit for certain sections....I may take some pictures and see what Mike says...thanks for your response...
Old 10-07-2017, 01:29 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

I ran all my engine operating wire along the frame as I mounted my battery in the rear.

See above the gas line positive cable to bat

Old 10-07-2017, 02:07 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

On our 63 Coupe we bonded in a length of fiberglass panel on the underside of the driver's side fender at the very top. It created a triangular shaped conduit which was large enough to run all the wiring and completely hide it. I repositioned the fuse panel into the recess originally used for the driver's side vent and ran the wiring up through a new hole so we could run the wiring into the conduit.

I looked to see if I could find a picture of the panel but couldn't find one. Hopefully my description will give you an idea of what we did. It really worked well. Mike may have a panel for that purpose.

Rich
Old 10-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Great way to mock-up the exhaust system!
Old 10-07-2017, 02:33 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Originally Posted by richscorvettes
On our 63 Coupe we bonded in a length of fiberglass panel on the underside of the driver's side fender at the very top. It created a triangular shaped conduit which was large enough to run all the wiring and completely hide it. I repositioned the fuse panel into the recess originally used for the driver's side vent and ran the wiring up through a new hole so we could run the wiring into the conduit.

I looked to see if I could find a picture of the panel but couldn't find one. Hopefully my description will give you an idea of what we did. It really worked well. Mike may have a panel for that purpose.

Rich

Yes this is the way to do it, next time
Old 10-08-2017, 01:56 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

I ran all my engine operating wire along the frame as I mounted my battery in the rear.

See above the gas line positive cable to bat

I like this, but I already have the body on. Nice frame too, what is it?
Old 10-08-2017, 01:59 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by richscorvettes

Rich
Great I idea, but I think I can sheath the wires in that nylon woven stuff and snake it along the outside top of the frame....from the bulk head....I am using and American Autowire system that moves the fuse to the A pillar area but has a bulk head connector using the factory location. I think I will run the engine wires to at the lower part of the firewall, just above the bell housing.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 AM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Originally Posted by vjjack04
I like this, but I already have the body on. Nice frame too, what is it?
Roadster Shop
Old 10-14-2017, 06:22 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Roadster Shop
took some pictures of what ive decided to do....i found that i can run them right under the edge of the inner fender wells and then beside the hood hinge....have shuut the hood and wires dont interfere....I did consider making holes and runing inside outer wheel wells were the tires are, but decided I was ok with the wires showing...the nylon wovern sheathing makes it look sort of factoy (newer cars factory)....
Attached Images     

Get notified of new replies

To Routing front harness wiring on SRIII frame

Quick Reply: Routing front harness wiring on SRIII frame