C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 06:13 PM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off

HIYA Guys,

Well I’ve only had my 59 back on the road for a few months and have only actually driven it for a couple of hundred miles all up and already I’m getting very disillusioned with the “Hobby” and especially with some of my so called “Peers”.

As far as driving the 59 and reaction from the general population I couldn’t be more pleased, with lots of waves and “thumbs ups” and some great conversations with people at car parks etc, but as far as reactions from other guys in the hobby I am totally p’d off.

I have taken the 59 to drop in and see lots of my so called buddies and fellow car enthusiasts lately and it has amazed me at how critical these guys have been.

I haven’t asked any of these guys for their opinions but rather just dropped in to say “hi” and “yeah I’ve finally got her back on the road” but virtually all of these guys have walked around the car and in a very “professional” and “expert” manner proceeded to point out to me all of the “defects”.

What is it about people that makes them all “experts” and why do they assume that their opinion is required and wouldn’t they consider that after spending months or years in the resto process that we as the owners and restorers would already be aware of any short comings.

I’ve got a big Vette show coming up in the next few weeks which I have been looking forward to since starting the resto but I am not sure if I even want to display the 59 now as I don’t know if I want to endure a procession of “experts” pointing out the various “non-perfect” aspects of the 59.

I suppose that some of you will consider me over sensitive to the negative comments but I didn’t spend all this money, time and effort just to please a bunch of critics.

I can only say that those of you who present your cars for NCRS and other high standard judging must be thicker skinned than me.

Now as far as driving the 59 and just meeting people on the road, I can’t say enough to express the pleasure it gives me to talk to these appreciating people.

I was on the freeway yesterday and a carload of teens in a Very hot *** car came up next to me honking the horn and all waving and giving me the thumbs up. These people were obviously not “experts” as they missed out seeing all of the defects, they just saw a nice classic Vette.

So what do you guys think?

Drive em or show em?

Sorry about the whinge but I had to get it off my chest.

Mark.
:mad
Old 10-04-2002, 06:34 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off (59er)

I know exactly how you feel. Critics are usually just jealous. You built the car for you, so enjoy it. Who cares what others think if you are happy with it. Drive it, show it, but above all else enjoy it, its your car and I for one am sure you have done a great job :cheers:
Old 10-04-2002, 06:39 PM
Preacher
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran

59'r.... there are a couple of old sayings that fit this situation...

Those that can't do, teach. Those that can't teach become critics.

and...

F&^% 'em. With friends like that, who needs enemas? :yesnod:

You have a gorgeous car and I would never dream of being an ****-retentive jackass and point out flaws. .... You might have to hand me a napkin to keep me from drooling on the paint, but that would be about the extent of it :cheers:
Old 10-04-2002, 06:48 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd be P'd off too! I think a lot of car guys have a severe lack of basic social skills. It's funny how at car shows, a lot of guys who brought their car, supposedly for people to admire, are so socially awkward. I've seen countless guys respond to compliments with a quiet, "thanks," but no smile whatsoever! :rolleyes:

That's why I'm making my car strictly for "the man on the street." I want to be like you in the mall parking lot with a bunch of strangers crowding around and ENJOYING checking out a totally cool car! I want the kids in the Honda waving and giving the thumbs up to ME!

One of my neighbors came and looked at my rolling chassis with my new engine, sparkling with chrome, aluminum and stainless everywhere. He asked me if it was a V6. Ignorant? Sure, but he wouldn't stop telling me how great it looked and asking sincere questions! I'll take him over an "expert" any day!

Like you, I already know where a bunch of flaws are on my car (and it ain't even done!), and only a jerk would feel the need to critically point them out to me! I guess the hard part would be if I was hearing it from people I thought were friends. In any event, THIS friend says that from what I've seen, your car looks great! :cheers:

- Mike Greene

[Modified by 58Mike, 2:51 PM 10/4/2002]
Old 10-04-2002, 06:56 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off (58Mike)

Guys like those above are the "true" car guys.......in my humble opinion.....I agree with everything they've said......especially the "enema" thing. :lol: :lol:

My neighbours are the same way. Every time the big door is open, someone drops by to oogle.......never a word of criticism......always encouragement......and not one of them has ever asked if the Vette Brakes suspension is factory correct!!!!! :jester

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 5:59 PM 10/4/2002]
Old 10-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 331 Likes on 197 Posts

Hi mark I have read your post and find it humerous. been there done that I also went thru the same thing you have with unsolicited advice.the first few times I was shocked.Most anoying was about my headlamp bucket alignment and front bumper alighnment.I was anoyed and did not want to hear it.I dont know if you realized it yet but corvette people are strange, its not there fault there were born that way.Anyways I got tired of my improper headlamp bucket alaignment and front bumpers and took there unsolicited advice and corrected them.I have also heeded the other's advice and have a much better car today.I had a fellow actually re-align my rear deck lid at a show with shims he had with him because it disturbed him so much that a small adjustment would correct it.I had onother guy pull off my wipers because they were up to high when off(he has them perfect now they just miss each other and sit nice on the windsheild when turned off). My wife HATES IT and gets anoyed with it .I now love it and when some one gives advice I listen and takes notes and follow thru with it.DONT GET MAD its not there fault they just love the cars and you have to understand thats why they have to comment.I have ran into people who are what I call blow hards and chase them away but a true corvette guy is there to help and when they come by you welcome them.I said it above my car is a much higher quaility car today because of unsolicited advice from others.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:10 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Default Re: To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off (58Mike)

I don't get p'sd anymore. Time has a way of allowing you to reflect that not everyone (or everything) is perfect. We build our vehicles for ourselves first. It is great to receive compliments, and yes there are idiots who see themselves as critics (but they are either jeolous, or think they are helping you). Ignore the idiots of the world (or make up a bunch of signs that say "I'm an Idiot", and paste them onto each guy's forehead who makes a dumb statement).

I am one of those socially awkward people who rarely say anything more than "Thanks". I really don't know what to say other than that (but I do include a smile). To the idiots, I just nod my head.

I can say that this past show season, we received bunches of compliments, and no critical comments (think we are becoming more "civil" and understanding, or I was just very lucky). One point I do make is that my Vettes are drivers, and the 62 is "Not numbers matching" and it is very obvious to anyone who sees it.

Don't take critcal comments to heart (life is too short to be concerned over someone elses "brain farts").

Plasticman
Old 10-04-2002, 07:31 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 331 Likes on 197 Posts

Default Re: To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off (Ih2lose)

OH by the way mark while i have your ear it looks like the third grill tooth from the left is slightley off compared to the others.See if you can get that corrected :crazy: :lol:
Old 10-04-2002, 08:07 PM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

I didn't have my car long when an old guy walked over to the car while it was parked at a local park during a family outing.
My son and I walked over to see if we could answer any questions...
He was the "Expert" that you speak of...
He told me that it was ashame how people screw up these cars...
Then pointed out all the things the previous owners screwed up on my car..
Like, Someone took off the side pipes... All Corvettes had side pipes... :rolleyes:
Just look how they screwed up my rear valance but cutting in the exits for my non-standard under car exhaust system
Someone also cut out the split in my 65's rear window :eek:
Oh and they also removed the 3rd tail light and replaced it with backup lights :crazy:

I just smiled and calmed down my son who was by then ready to teach this guy a lesson :boxing

Oh well,, It takes all kinds...

They do it way over in Australia too
I thought that it was only an American thing

You have a Great car there...
You did a fantastic job restoring it

My hat is off to you for taking the time and effort it took to pull this off..

Thank You

Tony
Old 10-04-2002, 08:13 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off (Ih2lose)

For the above reasons I prefer to drive mine and show it at local show 'n' shines and not at car shows.

I much prefer the hobbyists that gather at a show 'n's shine then the pros who pound their chests and inflate their egos at a car show.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:49 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a shame how some people have no class.

There are two groups that upset me.

1. The non-Vette owners. Wannabees that can tell you all about your car. They will never have the guts to buy a classic Vette.

2. The C5 owner who has been in Corvettes for the past year, and he has just added a chip, new exhaust, chrome wheels, new air filter, chrome in the Corvette letters on the rear deck, engine covers, and on and on.

Then he looks at your car real serious, and ask...Is it all originial.

Old 10-04-2002, 09:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Look the guy in the eye and with a nice soft voice ask him "which Corvette is yours, I have always wanted to see a perfect restored one?"
Old 10-04-2002, 10:06 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,131 Likes on 1,469 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Re: To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off (JoesC5)

JoesC5, You could not have said it any better, what a come back. 59er, drive that nice car, enjoy the waves, thumbs up etc. Catch a wash and shine show now and then, and you'll have a lot of fun. Altace is for high blood pressure and high blood pressure is form competive shows, you don't need them. :cheers:
Old 10-04-2002, 10:19 PM
BillDixon
Advanced

Mark, I get it too.
"Gee, you've got a scratch/crack/smudge/grease-spot there" and "Why'd you spend all that time and money on the car and put THOSE wheels on it" and "Thats the wrong alternator" etc etc etc.
Yes, people, I know theres a scratch or stone chip or crack or three in the paint. Heck, I think I know my car better than most men know their wives :)
The critics will always get under our skin, sometimes more, sometimes less. The time, effort, passion, and yeah I can even say LOVE, that we put into our cars and our hobby can be all for nought when someone criticises our pride and joy. I guess thats the price we pay for "personalising" our cars...
I'm sure your pal Rick gets it too with his 65...the colour, the interior...it aint exactly "original....but that car MOVES me.
Enjoy you cars. Maybe I'll get to see it in a few weeks.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:40 PM
14-Paul
Instructor

Default Re: To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off (BillDixon)

Amen! I have never asked a stranger "what do you think of my Vette?" but they all want to stroll straight over and start going down the list of why my car would be worth more if it had that option, or if it had the correct so and so. :bs Most of these people drive 1988 Honda's for cryin' out loud!

You see a :cool: Hemi Cuda :cool: goin down the highway, - you dont frown cuz' he's got Flowmasters on it - you say "CooooooooL"

anyway my 2 cents: I like any vehicle that has great aesthetic apeal, or sounds tuff, or goes like heck. Even the "Ricer's " - but only if they are actually faster than a normal commuter box :lol:
Old 10-04-2002, 10:53 PM
RichF
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '04 & '05

Default Re: To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off (14-Paul)

You know what? I got a little tired of the "expert" routine too, so I got me a vanity plate... Says it all :D check it out...
Old 10-04-2002, 10:56 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

You know, it's pretty easy to be like that. About 20 yrs ago my best friend had a '68 Z28. It was a beauty. But one day a bunch of us were standing around it critiquing. This isn't right, thats wrong, and my friend was forced to defend this and that. No harm intended. Just makin' conversation. Then it hit me. I said, Hey you guys! This is a great car, better than any of us have so lets smarten up! A lesson learned. But some people never learn. Sometimes it's well ment, sometimes they're just dorks.

Get notified of new replies

To To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off

Old 10-04-2002, 10:59 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

In 14 years, I have only put my car in a show 3 times. Once in a Corvette club show and twice in a street rod show. Street rods are the best. The people appreciate the car, your work, and your individuality. Corvette club people will not be happy unless it is their way. I belong to NCRS, but I have never had my car judged by them. I love their road tours, and they are loosening up as the years go by. I think they almost appreciate the street machine mods. The operative word is almost.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:16 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Quote**
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look the guy in the eye and with a nice soft voice ask him "which Corvette is yours, I have always wanted to see a perfect restored one?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have used that exact line!!
That's where it's at.

Look at my car in my sig pic.. Wrong Motor, Chrone Roof Side Vents...Wrong!, Wrong Grill, Big Block Hood..Wrong.!! Does that mean I don't Love Her??? Wrong!!! Does that mean I can't go to a show and enjoy the hobby and meet other people???? Wrong!!!

Just turn your Back and walk away..They arn't worth the trouble :cheers:
Old 10-04-2002, 11:22 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Re: To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off (magicv8)

My car is a numbers car and in its original configuration except the leather seats and I have people nit pick it to death. Have you ever had a pile of $$# that people compliment???????? They are being kind becuase everyone knows its junk and they are looking for something nice to say about it.

The thing is they now your car is awesome and it is more of a chalange looking for flaws then the perfection. It would be easy and obvious to point out all its great qualitties but they like to be the expert that notes the few incorect things.

I bought my car for ME, no one else. I have people that think I am nuts for even driving it. I pamper it and drive on nice days only, but boy I rod the crap out of it. I bought the car to live a life of experiance and fun, not draging my car from show to show to get into peeing contest with the next guy. I drove my car to the largest tri state car show we have here, about 4000 cars and parked mine on a side street. I dont need people to validate my car or my life. When I got back there was about 5 scraps of paper with phone numbers and "want to sell" notes on it. Neet but I could care less. In high school when I would win my class drag racing, I used to toss my trophy in the garbage the next week. Finally I just left them at the track. It is the experiance that counts, not the nick knacks for the "I LOVE ME ROOM".

My advice is to think back to why you rebuilt your car and what it means to you. Do you need this car to validate your life? I don't think that is the case. Are you who you are with or without your car?

Mark

Quick Reply: To Drive or Show, I'm P'd off