C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 Hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 07:22 PM
asolde
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 62 Hardtop

I purchased this hardtop from a fellow forum member. I put it on today to get an idea of how it fits. The right rear sticks up a little bit or so without the mounting hardware installed. I have the hardware on order should get it this Wednesday. I think I am going to adjust my rear deck lid up a little by adding a shim under the hinge points to bring the rear of the deck lid up and make it flush, and adjust my front latches for a softer latch. The right front latch is a little tight. I have a few questions though.
1) Any tips on adjusting the top, and installing mounting hardware?
2)What color should I paint the top? Maroon, White or Black?
3) If I paint the top the same color as the car how do I remove the fuel filler door for paint matching? Can I just remove the two nuts in the cavity and pull the door out? If so what holds the fasteners in place?
Thanks this car is new to me and I have a lot to learn. Alex
Attached Images         
Old 08-05-2017, 07:31 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

I've yet to have a top fit right so can not help you there. I had a 62 same color as yours and painted it same color as car. I forgot the size of the nut driver but the threaded studs will stay in place when cap is removed. I had also removed my gas cap for a paint match.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

If it were mine I would paint it the same color as the car.

On my '61 with white coves...I painted the top the same cover as the coves...but it has chrome/stainless trim around the coves. It was also the last year that the C1's were offered with two tone paint.
However..most '61 most Corvettes were painted one color like the '62"s (despite the chrome trim around the coves)..
Old 08-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Same colour in my mind is the best on a 62. Older cars look good when you match the cove. I would only adjust the deck lid if it's not flush to the body. And bear in mind that if the top was sitting somewhere for a long time it may have warped a bit. Some time fastened down in the sun should fix that.

I must admit that mine has been in the basement for about 20 years! Summers in Canada are top down driving 99% of the time.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2017, 08:31 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,270 Likes on 509 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Another vote here for painting it the same color as the car, especially on a '62. Mine stays on nearly all the time.

The following users liked this post:
Kerrmudgeon (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Canuck62
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I like same as body color
my top stays on most of the time because i think it just makes the car look better with it on
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2017, 08:58 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Adjust the top right latch first. Plenty of adjustment, loosen the two screws and slide the plate as needed. then see what that does to your right rear.

Ran a white HT on my honduras 62. On the honduras 61 with white coves, I alternated a white top and maroon top. Looks good with either. Can you match the body color corrrectly? White would eliminate the color match. A HT makes these cars feel like a totally different car regars to sounds and visibility.....and look great....completing the beautiful lines of the 61/62..
Old 08-06-2017, 01:13 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Another vote for painting the same color as the body. My experience with my hardtop is based on 2 things I have noticed. 1) With the hardtop on it limits your field of vision, and 2) The hardtop will leave an indentation in the paint on your deck lid. Like Kermudgeon I've stored my hardtop in my basement for over 20 years.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:46 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corvette-62
Another vote for painting the same color as the body. My experience with my hardtop is based on 2 things I have noticed. 1) With the hardtop on it limits your field of vision, and 2) The hardtop will leave an indentation in the paint on your deck lid. Like Kermudgeon I've stored my hardtop in my basement for over 20 years.
It limits the field of vision "far less" than a soft top though...when a top is a necessity. In my case the topless sun glare on my glasses hinders my vision more than being under my hardtop. In fact I always thought a hardtop was really easy to see out of.

There are many places in Texas, where no top at all would be a "very uncomfortable" in the heat of the day. Maybe even unbearable to some of the baby boomers and older...like me.

...and should you have aftermarket A/C, it performs better with a hard top. Since I do live in Texas ..if I had to choose between a hard top and a soft top...it would be a hard top (and I have both tops and after market A/C).

There are times when no top at all wouldn't matter..ie: early spring and late fall....just not as long a no top season as the northern states for instance.

...and there are clear vinyl strips that can be used between the hard top seal and the paint. Which helps, but you still have to be careful.

Stan..

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 08-06-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

If you look at the two hardtop latches on top of the C1 receivers - one is slotted and the other one is a straight hole. ALWAYS latch the one with the straight hole first and the other side will 'seek' its position...

Paint it body color to be correct.

If you have modern clear coat AND your top sits firmly AND you're bottom weatherstrip is pliable it should not leave marks on your car. I used those vinyl protector strips for a long time and they were more trouble than they're worth. Then went years without them with no damage.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:07 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Hats off to anyone that can adjust these tops where the W/S fits snug on the rear, the windows roll up and down with little effort and the W/S is tight against the window in the up position with no leaks. Regardless of these problems the hardtop really gives the car a great look. Now if you are very tall you will have to bend you body into a pretzel to get in but that's the price for having the top on.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:14 PM
asolde
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now if you are very tall you will have to bend you body into a pretzel to get in but that's the price for having the top on.

LOL What my problem is I have a metal plate in my neck with a bone fusion so I am stiff in my neck. But I think I found the sweet spot where I can get in cause my neck don't move.

I just want to see if I can get it to fit a little better on the right rear seal area. Otherwise I am very happy with it.

I am going to paint it the same color as the car Honduras Maroon.

I like the look with it on there better than with out it.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:00 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by asolde
Now if you are very tall you will have to bend you body into a pretzel to get in but that's the price for having the top on.
I agree, but once you are in much better headroom than with the soft top up.
I rarely use mime, love the look, but too hot with that big back window on all but cool spring and fall days.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
I agree, but once you are in much better headroom than with the soft top up.
I rarely use mime, love the look, but too hot with that big back window on all but cool spring and fall days.

Nice pic Paul. You still have both old ones?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Nice pic Paul. You still have both old ones?
Hey Rob,
Yup, still got 'em, haven't taken the '62 out of storage yet this year, but will probably go swap the '67 for it this week.
Is your '62 back on the road? I haven't been on this forum much lately...

Paul
Old 08-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you look at the two hardtop latches on top of the C1 receivers - one is slotted and the other one is a straight hole. ALWAYS latch the one with the straight hole first and the other side will 'seek' its position...

Paint it body color to be correct.

If you have modern clear coat AND your top sits firmly AND you're bottom weatherstrip is pliable it should not leave marks on your car. I used those vinyl protector strips for a long time and they were more trouble than they're worth. Then went years without them with no damage.
I thought I could get by without the clear strips ...but with the new reproduction rubber I have since the top restoration, it leaves a coffee colored mark on the clear paint.(in the corners in particular).
I believe it would polish out OK but haven't tried. There isn't any damage, just the rubber stain...which wouldn't show up near as much on a darker color.
Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 08-07-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

After a few Florida monsoons my clear coat 'clouded' under those vinyl strips -- I don't know why...I buffed them out but then ran the hardtop with the original supple rubber on the rear bow and no more problems. So - that's just my experience..

Get notified of new replies

To 62 Hardtop

Old 08-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
After a few Florida monsoons my clear coat 'clouded' under those vinyl strips -- I don't know why...I buffed them out but then ran the hardtop with the original supple rubber on the rear bow and no more problems. So - that's just my experience..
Seem like any rubber these days is different than the old stuff...some of my new tires leave that coffee colored stain on my sealed concrete floor. Whereas some old tires don't leave any mark at all...??

I'm glad to hear about the vinyl clear strips ...I have a new set that I haven't had out in the sun yet...just installed them under the hardtop inside the shop.
However I had the windows adjusted to the hardtop ...then removed it to have Al Knoch fit a new soft top to the car.
The softtop is still on the car in the upright position...to take a set .
When I put the hardtop back on...looks like I don't have a very good option either way..hmm.
Stains or clouds in the forecast...typical Texas weather..lol!

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 08-07-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:33 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

This is from a little older thread that I saved and may help some of you tall people get in the car with the top up.

I was told years ago by a long time C1 owner that you are supposed to lean in head first with your right fist on the transmission tunnel. Then, while crossing your right calf over your left shin twist CCW into the seat then unfold the right leg and pull the left one in.

Sounds a bit zany but it works.
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (08-07-2017)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:59 PM
Rookie62
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Default tire setup

Asolde, what is your wheel/tire setup? That stance looks amazing.

Quick Reply: 62 Hardtop