C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Add power brakes to 1967 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 11:33 AM
75SHARK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm reviving this thread because I'm currently doing this conversion on my '67. Regarding the hammering out of the firewall studs in order to mount the booster, has anyone just hammered out the studs on the booster instead and then just used the existing firewall studs to mount it? The threads appear the same and it seems like this would be easier and then the nuts would be more easily accessible.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:37 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 75SHARK
I'm reviving this thread because I'm currently doing this conversion on my '67. Regarding the hammering out of the firewall studs in order to mount the booster, has anyone just hammered out the studs on the booster instead and then just used the existing firewall studs to mount it? The threads appear the same and it seems like this would be easier and then the nuts would be more easily accessible.
Tried it, no. From memory when I did the standard disc to power disc brake conversion on my 67, it didn't look like "hammering" the studs off the booster was feasible, but hey, give it a shot. All you can do is ruin the booster and have to buy another. Seriously, the worst part of doing it the right way, is tightening the nuts on the booster studs from the inside, which was slow going because on one of them I only had enough clearance to turn the nut a quarter of a turn at a time. What I most remember (because when doing mine I replaced the entire brake system other than the rotors) is bending the 3 short brake lines (the two that go to the master cylinder and the one that goes across to the driver's side front caliper) was a PIA.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:18 PM
75SHARK
Racer

Thanks for the insight, and no I'd just rather do it the right way. So the firewall studs you literally just hammer and they'll eventually pop out?
Old 07-27-2022, 07:56 AM
Joemac8
Drifting

Received 2,264 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by 75SHARK

I just did that two weeks ago by hammering the studs from the firewall. The studs are a friction fit and came out with just a few medium taps. The studs from the booster fit into the holes and bolted right up. Not an issue at all.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:43 AM
75SHARK
Racer

Good Morning,

I now have all the components installed except for the brake line fitting at the front, which I'm struggling with to get lined up. I've been fiddling with it for an hour with no luck. It's close but I just can't get it to line up. I have a Borgeson power steering unit in which I'm not sure if it makes things tighter under there or not. Do I need to just loosen the steering box in order to gain enough clearance. If you guys have any tips, I'd appreciate it.

Rob

Quick Reply: [C2] Add power brakes to 1967 Corvette