C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] [TV] - Speed is the New Black - 1962 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Isn't that a factory flaw? I know my repops don't fit seemlessly.
The fit wasn't great from the factory. There are some tricks to make it better. Start a new thread for help.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:06 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
The guy with the Mercedes and the '62 didn't have a wife, at least not on the show.
You are correct. I stand corrected. The woman I was thinking of was the wife of the guy who had the black '57 Chevy Bel Aire..my apologies.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The fit wasn't great from the factory. There are some tricks to make it better. Start a new thread for help.
No way I'm taking that fender top spear off again after it was such a bear getting the last two speed nuts on behind the firewall. I'll live with the poor fit.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:35 AM
59vetteman
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know I never saw a wife on the show. My wife was pretty much saying the same things about cutting up `the car and the attitude of the car's owner. She also made the statement that the shop should have refused to do this to such a nice 62and sent him elsewhere. I reminded her they are in business to make money and can more than do son off guys like this! But in the end--it's his car to do with as he pleases. If it had of been a POS car, then it wouldn't have been so heartbreaking to see this done. As Forrest Gump would say "That's all I've got to say about that"
Old 06-25-2017, 10:47 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Wow - you guys are a tough audience. I for one - LIKED the transformation as I am a RESTOMOD owner and fan of this movement.

I also did not find the owner to be such the putz you guys make him out to be - just a guy who knows what he wants - a classic Corvette body on a modern chassis/drive train. So what if his daily driver is a Mercedes?
It is guys like this (Mid-40's to mid 50 executive/yuppie types) that will continue the C1/C2 Corvette hobby moving forward for the next generation as you are also the ones pointing out that you are getting older and all that crap.

1 guess what my daily driver is....?
Old 06-25-2017, 10:57 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 61 Roadster
There are many things I cannot do well, including advanced auto repair and restoration.

My objection to the client centers around their belief that "old cars cannot be driven" and his arrogant dismissal of earlier technologies. He trades out cars like shirts because he is bored with life and has no passion, understanding or respect.

GTOguy summed it up nicely.

I too, would love to see a show about the station wagon owners adventures in Florida.
The owner of the guy with the station wagon is actually a friend of mine and referred to as "Loud Tony'. He is really a hoot to be around.
Tony is really a Mopar guy. He was probably the best part of the show and knowing him, he was not scripted like the rest of the cast. I too would like to see him involved from time to time.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:01 PM
William Buckley
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 48 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

My observation was that the vette owner had more money than good sense.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
No way I'm taking that fender top spear off again after it was such a bear getting the last two speed nuts on behind the firewall. I'll live with the poor fit.
Ha! I get it. Take them off one more time and fix the front tips. Add the 58 under fender reinforcement bars ($100) your car will thank you!
Old 06-25-2017, 01:26 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by William Buckley
My observation was that the vette owner had more money than good sense.
With the car hobby - that seems to be very common, whether you know all about the cars or not (technical and other).

Since many of us on the forum can wrench on these cars to some degree, we notice it more with the corporate/exec/yuppie types that enter the Corvette realm.

You have to admit we have all at some level overspent on our classic cars.....
Old 06-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Trigger Creep
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just watched the episode. There's nothing I like better than endlessly starring at a Top Flight '62 like a teenager with a new Playboy magazine. While the '62 the show desicrated wasn't an unmolested C1, it still pained me to see someone allow the car to be chopped up. Had the car been more of a project car, I still would have cringed at the hapless saws-all job on a nice body.

But I'm excited to see the trend of resto-mods invading the C2 market. Not all of us can afford a numbers matching classic. Some of us have pieced together cars before with desirable and pleasing results.

Watching Barrett Jackson, I see that the resto-mod C2's are very popular, with a few nicely executed jobs out pricing the numbers matching NCRS cars at auction. Not to say dollar value is a good measure of a classic, but it does play a part, as well as driving and enjoying the car.

An aftermarket chassis with a modern suspension and drivetrain, coupled with modern performance, ride quality and reliability is something I'd like to build and own! I have more pride and exitement with something I've built over something I've purchased. The sweat equity makes the car "mine".

I could have never cut up the car used on the show, but I'm considering doing one more build before my aging body refuses to perform one. The thought of a mostly stock appearing '62 (my Favorite Vette) or a 65-67 mated to a well designed chassis and 500 or so legit hp really makes my blood pump.

The choices made to change color, take away the trim pieces that make the '62 so nice and add the chrome teeth to the grill had me almost attacking my TV. I dont think I'll be agreeing with what this shop does, but I will be watching and getting ideas.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Trigger Creep
I just watched the episode. There's nothing I like better than endlessly starring at a Top Flight '62 like a teenager with a new Playboy magazine. While the '62 the show desicrated wasn't an unmolested C1, it still pained me to see someone allow the car to be chopped up. Had the car been more of a project car, I still would have cringed at the hapless saws-all job on a nice body.

But I'm excited to see the trend of resto-mods invading the C2 market. Not all of us can afford a numbers matching classic.
Huh!

I sold my numbers matching dual quad 270hp, two top car for $65K last summer. A similar, well done, high end restomod of the identical car would have brought $120K and up, easily...
The following users liked this post:
Johnpantanella (08-09-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Huh!

I sold my numbers matching dual quad 270hp, two top car for $65K last summer. A similar, well done, high end restomod of the identical car would have brought $120K and up, easily...
Yes, I have to agree. Resto-mods always go for way more money than a garden variety, original but NOM mid-year or C1. If you don't want to break the bank, buy a NOM but otherwise 'original'. That's what I did.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:55 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Late to the party.. just watched this on DVR.

I was trying to keep an open mind through the entire thing.. While the final result is pretty nice, when they showed the "before/after" photos, I kept thinking "looked better before!"

The owner: More money than taste or respect, that's fo' sho' !
Old 07-06-2017, 05:34 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

I watched the show to get some ideas as I am about to cut up my 62 Roman red FAwn NUMBERS car.
This has been on my Bucket list long before bucket lists became a thing
SRlll and a LS3 will replace the 327/340hp and numbers 4 speed with a 4L60E
I did like to watch them with the body lift and a 4 post lift, as that is what I wanted to do,

Too much drama on the show, I wish they would stick to the build and not the B S
I guess not all mechanics can't be actors, or is it the other way around!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:28 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

I find it extremely difficult to call that a restomod - it's just too far removed from stock. By the way, the way the motor looked sucked!

Last edited by TCKT B8; 07-06-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:37 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I agree.. LS motors are GREAT motors... but UGLY without the plastic covers!
Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TCKT B8
I find it extremely difficult to call that a restomod - it's just too far removed from stock. By the way, the way the motor looked sucked!
That, by definition is a RESTOMOD.

For a Corvette to be called a Restomod, the underpinnings need to have:
New modern chassis - check
Modern Suspension - check
Modern engine (LS) - check
Modern Transmission - check
Modern Wheels/Tires - check
Modern Electronics/Wiring - check

The exterior was almost stock minus the grill change out to an earlier model year.

Simply changing a small block and putting a set of Cragers DOES NOT make a Corvette a RestoMod IMHO.

Dan

Last edited by dcaggiani; 07-07-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To [TV] - Speed is the New Black - 1962 Corvette

Old 07-06-2017, 09:47 PM
61corv
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

It seems every restomod is silver with red interior or red with tan interior... Why do all that work and not be different?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:23 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 61corv
It seems every restomod is silver with red interior or red with tan interior... Why do all that work and not be different?
I beg your pardon:
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
Johnpantanella (08-09-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:53 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxrxrnr
I beg your pardon:
That's beautiful!

Mike