C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

fast idle for Vintage Air AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 11:50 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default fast idle for Vintage Air AC

I have the VA in my 64 and it's working great. However, when the compressor kicks in, idle drops dangerously. I need to set the idle above 900rpm to stay out of the stall zone.

One way out is installing a high-idle solenoid as described here http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-solenoid.html , but these have not enough power to push the carburator arm by themselves. So you have to 'blip' the throttle each time the compressors starts, not very handy when waiting for a traffic light or when stuck in traffic.

I am experimenting a different method, using a vacuum advance canister. That should be strong enough to overcome the carb springs (I hope...).

I build a bracket and a 90° arm with adjustable end (much the same way the idle adjusting screw works).

The vacuum to the canister will be fed through an electric vacuum switch valve (from a BMW), itself connected to the clutch power feed of the compressor. When the compressor goes on, the switch passes the vacuum and the fast idle sets in.

Still need to test it though, waiting for the vacuum switch.
Attached Images       
The following users liked this post:
carl3989 (06-04-2023)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:29 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 183 Posts

Interesting idea. I just posted on my lack of success with installing a conventional idle speed solenoid and hadn't considered the downside as you mentions. I may look at a similar solution myself now that my original plan isn't going to work without some customization.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,085 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I had toyed with modifying a cruise control setup for this task. But it turned out to be a non-issue on my 63. I set the idle up 50 RPM in the summer and that works.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:16 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Mine idles a little fast anyway, so it's okay with the compressor on. It will die in a panic stop, however, so I try to keep those to a minimum.😕

Last edited by 59BlueSilver; 06-15-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:48 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

lol.... EFI will take care of that...; maintains the idle speed no matter what...

BUT, a VERY clever solution; I hope it works for you as the accelerator 'tapping' is a PIA...

Bill
Old 06-23-2017, 04:17 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

did final install and first test ride today, and system works as expected. Although the vacuum advance force is way higher than from a solenoid, it still does no have 100% full authority over the carb springs (I do have the dual concentric springs) . But I can drive now without worries for an engine stall. I did order a canister for a HEI that kicks in at the lowest Hg I could find, assuming these have a softer internal spring so more of the vacuum is translated into pull force. It will take 2 week to get it here, I'll let know how that works.

Last edited by alexandervdr; 06-23-2017 at 04:21 PM.
carl3989 (06-04-2023)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:25 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
did final install and first test ride today, and system works as expected. Although the vacuum advance force is way higher than from a solenoid, it still does no have 100% full authority over the carb springs (I do have the dual concentric springs) . But I can drive now without worries for an engine stall. I did order a canister for a HEI that kicks in at the lowest Hg I could find, assuming these have a softer internal spring so more of the vacuum is translated into pull force. It will take 2 week to get it here, I'll let know how that works.
congratulations... i'm sure there is a market for something like that ....; unfortunately the combinations of applications are such that a universal kit would be next to impossible....

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 06-23-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:39 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Quite ingenious!
Old 06-23-2017, 05:36 PM
mjmsc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-4 Car Show Winner
CI-7 Car Show Winner

Same vacuum switch used in my 09 Z06 to control the exhaust baffles.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:48 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

update: I had ordered a HEI vacuum can and a B28 can (used for a standard distributor SBC, the B28 is for high performance so low vacuum engines like EFI ). The B28 came in today. It opens up at way lower Hg 3-5 compared to 7-9 of the B22 I had used. The effect was as hoped: when the compressor kicks in, the vacuum pulls the rod to it's full retraction. And it has more than enough power to control the carburator arm without getting stuck halfway. I now have the set screw on my DIY system calibrated, and the difference with or without compressor load is zero rpm, it actually goes unnoticed. No right foot tapping needed at all

PS: for those interested, this is an excellent article about vacuum advance cans outintheshop.com/faq/Vac%20Adv%20Spec.pdf

Last edited by alexandervdr; 06-26-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:42 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

update: I had ordered a HEI vacuum can and a B28 can (used for a standard distributor SBC). The B28 came in today. It opens up at way lower Hg 3-5 compared to 7-9 of the B22 I had used. The effect was as hoped: when the compressor kicks in, the vacuum pulls the rod to it's full retraction. And it has more than enough power to control the carburator arm without getting stuck halfway. I now have the set screw on my DIY system calibrated, and the difference with or without compressor load is zero rpm, it actually goes unnoticed. No right foot tapping needed at all

PS: for those interested, this is an excellent article about vacuum advance cans outintheshop.com/faq/Vac%20Adv%20Spec.pdf
again... congratulations....

Bill
Old 06-26-2017, 11:52 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wmf62
again... congratulations....

Bill
Thanks! I do think it should be possible to make a kit system with a 2 or 3 piece bracket that can be tuned to fit the majority of cases. Those with airco in a C1-C2 are probably the more conservative driver/cruisers, and may have the most 'standard' configurations in stead of exotic carb and manifold combinations. Although I am just guessing ...
Old 06-26-2017, 12:28 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

please don't be offended if I refer to you as "Bubba at His Best", as necessity is the mother of invention and the impossible only takes a little longer, which is what has led me to do many things to 'improve' my car...

from one Bubba to another... GREAT JOB...

Bill

...and, there is a niche need for what you have designed and fabricated

Last edited by wmf62; 06-26-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:52 AM
64DreamMachine
Classic Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

update: I had ordered a HEI vacuum can and a B28 can (used for a standard distributor SBC, the B28 is for high performance so low vacuum engines like EFI ). The B28 came in today. It opens up at way lower Hg 3-5 compared to 7-9 of the B22 I had used. The effect was as hoped: when the compressor kicks in, the vacuum pulls the rod to it's full retraction. And it has more than enough power to control the carburator arm without getting stuck halfway. I now have the set screw on my DIY system calibrated, and the difference with or without compressor load is zero rpm, it actually goes unnoticed. No right foot tapping needed at all

Wow, this thread goes back in time. I just re-read it again because my L76 and AC do not like each other and I'm looking for fixes. Do you still have this vacuum set-up you did working on your car to help the RPM drop? If so, can you offer the part numbers for pieces, I'd love to try in on mine. I have a stock original L76 with the original Holley 4 bbl and an awesome 500RPM drop when the compressor kicks in. Not good with the STV by-pass cycling system in place.
Thanks, Craig
Old 08-15-2020, 09:08 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 64DreamMachine
Wow, this thread goes back in time. I just re-read it again because my L76 and AC do not like each other and I'm looking for fixes. Do you still have this vacuum set-up you did working on your car to help the RPM drop? If so, can you offer the part numbers for pieces, I'd love to try in on mine. I have a stock original L76 with the original Holley 4 bbl and an awesome 500RPM drop when the compressor kicks in. Not good with the STV by-pass cycling system in place.
Thanks, Craig
It's all made out of sheet metal , fabricated&welded myself.
I since then swapped carbs (from edelbroek to Holley) and put in a camshaft that had much better low end torque. Result is that the rpm at idle merely drops from 650 to 550 when AC kicks in, keeps running smoothly, so I no longer need the device. But it work like a charm, and would use it again if I had substantial drop. I have no experience with L76, and I know it's better at high than at low rpm, but 500 rpm drop seems a lot, are you sure advance is set up right?
Old 08-15-2020, 01:31 PM
64DreamMachine
Classic Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I since then swapped carbs (from edelbroek to Holley) and put in a camshaft that had much better low end torque. Result is that the rpm at idle merely drops from 650 to 550 when AC kicks in, keeps running smoothly, so I no longer need the device. But it work like a charm, and would use it again if I had substantial drop. I have no experience with L76, and I know it's better at high than at low rpm, but 500 rpm drop seems a lot, are you sure advance is set up right?

Thanks, I understand that the brackets were custom made. I went back and re-read the thread and got the part numbers I needed for the Vacuum can and the switch. I am going to try this set up since you said it was seamless in RPM change when it worked for you. You have a creative mind, thanks for this idea.
Craig
Old 08-15-2020, 01:38 PM
64DreamMachine
Classic Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I forgot to answer about the advance set up being correct. When the AC was dropping the RPM's about 500, the advance was w-a-a-a-y-y-y off (retarded too much). Advance is now right on and I have not driven the car with the AC on since adjusted. Myself and a new shop are trying to get the AC back in service, then I'll know if I still have a significant RPM drop. I also suspect the system was over pressured with too much R134 so that may have contributed to the drop. I'll know in a couple of weeks. Thanks Again

Get notified of new replies

To fast idle for Vintage Air AC

Old 08-15-2020, 09:11 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I have a similar issue with my 64 that has Vintage Air added to it. My car is an opriginal 300hp engine that has a factory 64 Rochester Fuel Injection in place of the carb.

I noticed a significant drop in RPMs (like maybe 300 RPM) when I switched the A/C on.

Right now my solution is to adjust the idle up a bit to compensate. And that does mean that me cars runs at about 1100 rpm at idle with the A/C off, and drops to about 800 rpm with the A/C on.

I thought about some sort of idle solenoid, but I am ultimately going to replace the Rochester FI with a Rochester EFI conversion system, so I'll just bump the idle in the summer for the time being.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:42 AM
64DreamMachine
Classic Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by emccomas
I have a similar issue with my 64 that has Vintage Air added to it. My car is an opriginal 300hp engine that has a factory 64 Rochester Fuel Injection in place of the carb.

I noticed a significant drop in RPMs (like maybe 300 RPM) when I switched the A/C on.

Right now my solution is to adjust the idle up a bit to compensate. And that does mean that me cars runs at about 1100 rpm at idle with the A/C off, and drops to about 800 rpm with the A/C on.

I thought about some sort of idle solenoid, but I am ultimately going to replace the Rochester FI with a Rochester EFI conversion system, so I'll just bump the idle in the summer for the time being.
Thanks for the note. As a simple fix if I don't have to increase the RPM too much I am going to investigate a simple mechanical turn/slide switch or add-on spacer that I can easily reach under the air cleaner and change the idle RPM whenever I am going to drive the car with AC on. Some kind of 50 cent, 1 hour DIY fix. I'll post if I come up with anything useful.
Craig
Jacks64 (09-01-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 11:18 AM
64DreamMachine
Classic Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default VA to increase idle when AC compressor goes on

I have the VA in my 64 and it's working great. However, when the compressor kicks in, idle drops dangerously. I need to set the idle above 900rpm to stay out of the stall zone.

One way out is installing a high-idle solenoid as described here http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-solenoid.html , but these have not enough power to push the carburator arm by themselves. So you have to 'blip' the throttle each time the compressors starts, not very handy when waiting for a traffic light or when stuck in traffic.

I am experimenting a different method, using a vacuum advance canister. That should be strong enough to overcome the carb springs (I hope...).

I build a bracket and a 90° arm with adjustable end (much the same way the idle adjusting screw works).

The vacuum to the canister will be fed through an electric vacuum switch valve (from a BMW), itself connected to the clutch power feed of the compressor. When the compressor goes on, the switch passes the vacuum and the fast idle sets in.

Still need to test it though, waiting for the vacuum switch.
It's been a while since this post and as I was looking back through some old problems, I saw it again. Did it ever work well for you?
Craig

Quick Reply: fast idle for Vintage Air AC