C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

help in Memphis?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:47 AM
03LingenfelterC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help in Memphis?

Hi guys,

I am in Michigan and am interested in a '66 Roadster 327 with pipes and wheels in the Memphis, TN area.

Does anyone happen to be familiar with this one? Any one close by willing to check it out specifically for frame/birdcage integrity?

http://artandspeed.com/vehicles/263/...rolet-corvette

Thanks for the consideration,
Brad
Old 06-09-2017, 11:18 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,694 Posts

she's a purdy one. Odd to have AC in a convertible, but then no PWR steer or brakes. This consign shop obviously does not know mid-year vettes, focusing on pics of the add-on stereo system and service sticker, but no shots of tags or engine pad.
good luck with it
The following users liked this post:
03LingenfelterC5 (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I am by no means an inspector. I would be glad to go and look at it and take pics of the frame. I see what I can of the bird cage.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 AM
03LingenfelterC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robert61
I am by no means an inspector. I would be glad to go and look at it and take pics of the frame. I see what I can of the bird cage.
That is a kind offer and much appreciated Robert. Andrew at Art & Speed has been very helpful and if you are able to make it over there when it is convenient for you, please give me a heads up and I can have Andrew make sure the lift and car are available to inspect and/or drive.

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 06-09-2017, 03:28 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

looks like a nice enough car, but ask for pics of the trim and vin tags. black is a very common color to have a repop tag on. also, should not have a flat black hood jamb, and from the pic of the front emblem, may have had some prior repairs as the emblem is off center.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I'll go Monday if you are serious about buying the car. Let me know what all you want to know about. Do they have the car in their possession?

Last edited by Robert61; 06-09-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 PM
03LingenfelterC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robert61
I'll go Monday if you are serious about buying the car. Let me know what all you want to know about. Do they have the car in their possession?
The car is on their showroom floor but I am waiting to receive pictures of some requested components based on the advise from an NCRS judge. Not sure how serious I am until I receive pictures and advice.

Please hold for now Robert, and again, thank you.

BK
Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Mark Novak
5th Gear

Default I'm investigating the same vehicle.

Originally Posted by 03LingenfelterC5
Hi guys,

I am in Michigan and am interested in a '66 Roadster 327 with pipes and wheels in the Memphis, TN area.

Does anyone happen to be familiar with this one? Any one close by willing to check it out specifically for frame/birdcage integrity?

http://artandspeed.com/vehicles/263/...rolet-corvette

Thanks for the consideration,
Brad
I'm looking at same '66 L79. SInce you previously investigated, would you mind sharing what you found. I'm looking for a clean, reasonably correct good quality driver.
I appreciate any major issues discovered. Thank-you
Old 10-23-2017, 08:58 PM
03LingenfelterC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark Novak
I'm looking at same '66 L79. SInce you previously investigated, would you mind sharing what you found. I'm looking for a clean, reasonably correct good quality driver.
I appreciate any major issues discovered. Thank-you
She's a beauty for sure - super rare killer color combo. I did get a nice video from Art & Speed and they also did a hot and cold compression test on all the cylinders which tested very well within range and consistent. I am sure they have the info if you ask. I did not go any further with it and did not have it evaluated. I did speak with the NCRS expert mentioned, John Ballard out of Louisville, KY as I recall. He was willing to travel and do the evaluation for a reasonable rate. If you want his contact info shoot me a PM as I do not want to share it here without his permission.

Personally I valued the car at 65k tops which was too much of a gap to do further investigation. Too much for me considering the car does not have any documentation other than a couple oil changes, front fender repair and new wheel (on no - did the wheel come loose and fall off?), etc.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice car, just a few points to consider.

Note, this is my opinion only and not meant to cut down the car or offend anyone.

1 - Black/ Silver is among the rarest color combos. I would be very cautions of the trim tag.
2 - Repro knock off's / radials
3 - Again could be the pics but the antenna looks short, might be a repro.
3 - Side pipes only came on cars built in St. Louis and even so that doesn't mean all St. Louis car's had side pipes. Be caution of that as it's an easy add on.
5 - Could be the pictures but the gaps / fit of the doors looks off. Check for evidence if the car was hit. Also the driver headlight bucket and hood fit is off. I think the tab for the center screw for the grill is broken too.
6 - Alternator is a repro and there is something funky going on with the wiring harness. Also horn relay is incorrect.
7 - I don't recall if these radiators were date stamped or ink stamped. I don't see either on the top.

John Ballard is a great person to see the car. He is a wealth of knowledge and then some. Good luck.

Again, just trying to help. Take the post for what it's worth.

Best,
Dave
Old 10-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Mark Novak
5th Gear

Default Thank-you so much for your input and quick reply.

She's a beauty for sure - super rare killer color combo. I did get a nice video from Art & Speed and they also did a hot and cold compression test on all the cylinders which tested very well within range and consistent. I am sure they have the info if you ask. I did not go any further with it and did not have it evaluated. I did speak with the NCRS expert mentioned, John Ballard out of Louisville, KY as I recall. He was willing to travel and do the evaluation for a reasonable rate. If you want his contact info shoot me a PM as I do not want to share it here without his permission.

Personally I valued the car at 65k tops which was too much of a gap to do further investigation. Too much for me considering the car does not have any documentation other than a couple oil changes, front fender repair and new wheel (on no - did the wheel come loose and fall off?), etc.
I truly appreciate the comments and quick reply. All the options on my dream list plus a color combo I haven't seen...I know I've gotten emotional over this one and appreciate the gut check.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:36 AM
Mark Novak
5th Gear

Default Thank-you for the thoughtful detail

Originally Posted by MosportGreen66
Nice car, just a few points to consider.

Note, this is my opinion only and not meant to cut down the car or offend anyone.

1 - Black/ Silver is among the rarest color combos. I would be very cautions of the trim tag.
2 - Repro knock off's / radials
3 - Again could be the pics but the antenna looks short, might be a repro.
3 - Side pipes only came on cars built in St. Louis and even so that doesn't mean all St. Louis car's had side pipes. Be caution of that as it's an easy add on.
5 - Could be the pictures but the gaps / fit of the doors looks off. Check for evidence if the car was hit. Also the driver headlight bucket and hood fit is off. I think the tab for the center screw for the grill is broken too.
6 - Alternator is a repro and there is something funky going on with the wiring harness. Also horn relay is incorrect.
7 - I don't recall if these radiators were date stamped or ink stamped. I don't see either on the top.

John Ballard is a great person to see the car. He is a wealth of knowledge and then some. Good luck.

Again, just trying to help. Take the post for what it's worth.

Best,
Dave
I very much appreciate your checklist. Thank-you for taking time and replying so quickly. A lot of money for me and I need to get it right. Thanks again! Information VERY helpful.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Mark Novak
5th Gear

I very much appreciate your offer to connect me with John Ballard. I think I have to take the next step. I can't stop thinking about this one. If you could please make the introduction to Mr. Ballard I would be very appreciative. I need professional assistance and experience at this point. It's too much money for me to wing it, and I really need an unbiased, experienced third party to help me.
My email is mnovak@nuco2.com.

Thank-you in advance for your help.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Old 10-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Mark Novak
5th Gear

I would greatly appreciate you making an introduction to Mr. Ballard for me. I would like to have the car evaluated and I need some experienced, unbiased third party help. If he is willing to review the vehicle, he can contact me directly at his convenience. Thank-you in advance for your assistance. Kind Regards, Mark

My email contact is: mnovak@nuco2.com

My email is mnovak@nuco2.com.

Get notified of new replies

To help in Memphis?

Quick Reply: help in Memphis?