C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Who sell the best C2 hardtop stand

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 649 Likes on 278 Posts

Default Who sell the best C2 hardtop stand

I need a hardtop stand for a '67 hardtop. Is there only one brand that's sold through all the part houses? If not, which one is the best looking and sturdiest, preferable with wheels. I don't think I want one that hangs from the ceiling. Thanx.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:19 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

build your own out of PVC pipe

Bill
Old 05-28-2017, 01:42 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I might also be interested in one. No, I do not want to built my own.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:34 PM
Nelsonc1c5
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
I need a hardtop stand for a '67 hardtop. Is there only one brand that's sold through all the part houses? If not, which one is the best looking and sturdiest, preferable with wheels. I don't think I want one that hangs from the ceiling. Thanx.
I built mine starting with a steel rolling rack that holds postal sacks. I removed the arms that would hold the big gray sacks added a plywood base and lots of pipe foam on the rails. Add a stop at the bottom to keep the front edge of the top from sliding off, works great. Rolls very nice. I would send a picture but I have not figured that out.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

No home built ones, I need a shinny pretty one to store the trophy hard top if you know what I mean.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:25 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I don't use a stand as they take up room and the hardtop is still subject to easy damage.

I use a hardtop hoist to remove and install by myself and I leave it hanging over the car when off because it is safer and takes up no extra room except for air space. The maker does not recommend this but I have been doing it for years without a problem.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Glassworks sells a hardtop hoist for a C1 (and prob for a C2) that is expensive but the most novel option out there. The roll-around El Cheapo stands that I've encountered do a so-so job after modifications but seem to always be in the way...

The Chinesium rope hoists are always good for some heart-wrenching moments as you are lowering the hardtop onto your car as its spinning around in the air while you try to stabilize it with one hand while operating the hoist with the other.

Done it many times without damage and count myself lucky.

The best deal is to just tuck the hardtop overhead somehow and forget you own it...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-28-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

No home built ones, I need a shinny pretty one to store the trophy hard top if you know what I mean.

I have one similar to this. http://corvettespecialty.com/corvett...956-82-1984-96 Plus a custom cover to keep off the dust.

The problem is that once you put your hardtop on the stand, it will likely remain there forever.

It has been said that LONG term storage on these stands will slightly distort the top fiberglass and cause fitment issues. I can't prove it one way or the other. My hardtop has been on it's stand for over 25 years.......but it does look pretty.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 05-28-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:13 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I just removed my '66 hard top yesterday and put it away on this rolling stand that has been in my family a long time. It's light, sturdy, easy to put the cover on it, and is only $99 (on *bay). I also won't risk my hard top hanging it from anywhere.

C2 hard top rolling stand
Old 05-28-2017, 09:19 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Powershift
I have one similar to this. http://corvettespecialty.com/corvett...956-82-1984-96 Plus a custom cover to keep off the dust.

The problem is that once you put your hardtop on the stand, it will likely remain there forever.

It has been said that LONG term storage on these stands will slightly distort the top fiberglass and cause fitment issues. I can't prove it one way or the other. My hardtop has been on it's stand for over 25 years.......but it does look pretty.

Larry
Which is another vote for the hardtop hoist. When I bought my car the hardtop was on a stand. When we put it on the car it had spread out so much that I was afraid we were going to break it squeezing it back together to bolt it on.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by big block ken
I just removed my '66 hard top yesterday and put it away on this rolling stand that has been in my family a long time. It's light, sturdy, easy to put the cover on it, and is only $99 (on *bay). I also won't risk my hard top hanging it from anywhere.

C2 hard top rolling stand
That's the one which left the black foam residue on my white hardtop as the padding deteriorated which I had to buff out (I wound up putting pipe foam on the stand instead); the wheels wouldn't spin 360* until I shimmed the bottom frame up with washers and the top (a C1 in my case) was in danger of falling off until I riveted a nylon strap on the frame to secure it.

Only THEN was it kinda, sorta OK...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-28-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:34 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Glassworks sells a hardtop hoist for a C1 (and prob for a C2) that is expensive but the most novel option out there.
Bill
Attached Files
File Type: mov
htCIMG7617_Segment_0_x264.mov (3.94 MB, 218 views)
Old 05-29-2017, 10:36 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys. The glassworks lift isn't listed on their website. I'll call tomorrow to find out what's up.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Thanks guys. The glassworks lift isn't listed on their website. I'll call tomorrow to find out what's up.
I don't see it either; perhaps the web site is messed up.

I don't think it was a big seller for them so it may have been dropped from the product line....pls let us know...
Old 05-30-2017, 08:20 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't see it either; perhaps the web site is messed up.

I don't think it was a big seller for them so it may have been dropped from the product line....pls let us know...
it was $$$$ at the time I bought mine, so it might not have been a big seller...

here it is in the Eckler catalog

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...th-remote.html

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 05-30-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:06 AM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Here is my medium tech and low tech solution for the roof to my 67 and 59.

I have the same stand as Frankie's under that cover and I can attest to the deteriorating foam. Also, mine are stored up in the 3rd floor play floor. The rack to me has the potential to have the rack tip over forward (the weight + balance of the loaded rack seems biased to one side... the side that the top does not lean on) and if a wind hit it right could pretty easy flip the roof out of of the rack. Just something to consider if you have it stored in an active garage where gusts of wind could blow in when the garage doors are opened. No great fear... but one might want to bungie the unit to a wall or something 'just in case'.

There is a cover one can buy (see the 67 roof) that helps keep the deteriorating foam and other things from scratching the roof. If is pretty effective except with one 'nit' in that the placement of the velcro closures coincidentally happens to be right at one of the rack braces and places a good bit of the 'leaning weight' of the roof's finished surface against the velcro. If the top was in a area it could vibrate from catching wind, over time could wear off some paint finish (many times these tops once they are stored stay there on the rack for many, many years like mine have).

Last.. I too build a number of roll-a-ways for a number of diff purposes. Engine rollers, furniture rollers, etc.

TIP... The 2nd + 3rd pic is a base I use to build various racks + rollers. One can find them at supermarkets by the dozens (out in the trash compactor areas usually). They primarily are service vendor bakery rollers. Most are heavy plastic, but some are quite heavy angle iron with really industrial grade rollers (I have uses the steel ones as car rollers to roll the cars around in the garage to pack them in for the winter). Over time the vendors forget to take them with them and it is not unusual to see literally dozens of them out back of the grocery store. I have found that a cheerful 'hello' to the store manager (be sure you talk with someone with decision making ability.. not some clerk that is not authorized to acknowledge if it is night or day time outside) and with permission, they are usually happy to let you have 2 or 3 of them.

If there are steel ones then it is a real 'score'. I have seen 40 or 50 of them at one time in the back of one busy supermarket near me where obviously the service vendors are quite forgetful to take their racks back with them. If you see that.. it is your golden opportunity to approach the store manager asking 'for a couple of the obviously very old forgotten ones'. The store manager is usually happy to get rid of a few (within reason.. do not be greedy) as it is clutter to them as much as they try to 'hold' them for the service vendor (it is sometimes out of control).

The above would be a good, stable, highly mobile base for one to built their own top rack.

Cheers - Jim

This is the plastic version (more common to find).

Last edited by 65GTO; 05-30-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:15 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, Glassworks still sells their motorized lift system, but are waiting for parts to come in so won't be available for another 4 weeks or so. $749. IF using a rolling stand, they suggested placing the top front edge down which is the stronger end and maybe using a pool noodle cut in half for added padding and weight distribution.

Get notified of new replies

To Who sell the best C2 hardtop stand

Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yes, always store a C1 or C2 top header down in those rolling stands or you'll distort the rear rubber weatherstrip... I used the gray pipe foam insulation for padding on the stand as I felt it looked more manly than pool noodles

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-01-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:06 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

The Glassworks hardtop lift is nice but way to expensive. The other ceiling lifts using rope and blocks (ie pullies) are hard on the rubber weatherstrips unless you fabricate brackets to eliminate lifting on the rubber surfaces.
I have a roll around I have had for 20 years and it is convenient and has never marked or hurt the many hardtops which have been stores on it. It will handle multiple hardtops at once.
I will post a pic later.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:17 PM
kahibbi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohiovet
The Glassworks hardtop lift is nice but way to expensive. The other ceiling lifts using rope and blocks (ie pullies) are hard on the rubber weatherstrips unless you fabricate brackets to eliminate lifting on the rubber surfaces.
I have a roll around I have had for 20 years and it is convenient and has never marked or hurt the many hardtops which have been stores on it. It will handle multiple hardtops at once.
I will post a pic later.
If you could post a pic, that would be great. I got to thinking about fabricating my own out of 1" tubing and have anchor points where the top anchored as if it were mounted on the car. I don't think it would matter if the rack stood up (vertical) or laid flat (horizontal) since it will be anchored at the tops mounting points. I do like the idea of it standing up on wheels due to taking up less space.

Last edited by kahibbi; 03-16-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Who sell the best C2 hardtop stand