C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64, 327/365hp cuts out at 4000 rpm - any clues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Popeye206
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 64, 327/365hp cuts out at 4000 rpm - any clues?

Hi.. I have a 1964 327/365hp convertible. One issue I have is the engine cuts out at 4000 rpm. I replaced the fuel filter, but it wasn't a fix. The previous owner said he had it happen to him once, and it was a fuel line issue due to the crappy gas these days.

Anyone have any clues or suggestions on what they would try next? What I'm looking for is what's the most likely culprit or are there easy things I can try first before going nutty?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

How is the fuel pump, does it act like its running out of gas?
Old 05-14-2017, 02:21 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Fouled spark plugs and/or silicon separation in the spark plug wires.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

By "cuts out" do you mean that the motor is "cutting out" (sporadically) or, it dies. Could be anything from electrical to valves.

More info would be needed to help diagnose your issue IMO.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 05-14-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:33 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Does it misfire or simply fall flat, like no fuel? If it is falling flat and sagging, I'd check the fuel pump volume and delivery next. Could also be a low float level in the carb. Unlikely an ignition problem unless it is misfiring and breaking up at high speed.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Does it misfire or simply fall flat, like no fuel? If it is falling flat and sagging, I'd check the fuel pump volume and delivery next. Could also be a low float level in the carb. Unlikely an ignition problem unless it is misfiring and breaking up at high speed.
That's my point. Without more info it could be a multitude of things. Breaking up at high speed was one of the "electrical" issues I was referring to. But, the OP doesn't specify if the car breaks up or dies.

Gary
Old 05-14-2017, 02:49 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Popeye206

The previous owner said he had it happen to him once, and it was a fuel line issue due to the crappy gas these days.

Thanks!
Today's crappy gas would be the first potential problem I'd overlook.

You need a better description of your problem.
The following users liked this post:
Gary's '66 (05-14-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 03:35 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

If you have an original points ignition system I would check the condition of the points and the point dwell. If the points are not the D112P or equivalent high tension set, I would replace them with this style of points. NAPA still sells an equivalent at a reasonable price. Part #CS89 or perhaps #CS7860.

Spark plugs with high RPM misfiring/fouling is another possibility. Install a new set with the correct gap and heat range. AC 45 or AC R45 or equivalent.

Both suggestions are easy to do and to verify results.

Larry
Old 05-14-2017, 04:50 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Powershift
If the points are not the D112P or equivalent high tension set, I would replace them with this style of points. NAPA still sells an equivalent at a reasonable price. Part #CS89 or perhaps #CS7860.
I second this because I've experienced point bounce and loss of power due to (unknowingly) having the low spring tension points in my racing engine. At 5000 RPM the engine would just lay down. It would NOT rev any higher. Sounded like I was bumping up against a rev limiter.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 PM
Popeye206
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many of you asked what it sounds like... the cut out is as if I've hit a limiter... the engine just won't go over 4000... it cuts out in a sputtering manner. I assume gas starvation, but it could be ignition related?

My other uneducated guess is maybe the 4 barrel is not getting gas and its only running on 1/2 a carb? I don't know enough about these carbs to really know how to check to make sure it's doing what it's supposed to do. :-) I'm use to an automatic and you knew when the secondaries opened up.

I hope this helps for those trying to help me... I'm going to go read more responses and see if anything rings a bell.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:21 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I would look at fuel supply. If the car is getting gas, the secondaries are getting gas. You probably have a fuel pump issue, a sock in the tank issue, or a float level issue. Could be points, yes, but points float at only 4000 rpm is pretty rare. "Running on half a carb", you'd still be able to reach redline, if all else was ok.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:28 PM
Mike Smith
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Tired/broken valve springs?
Old 05-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,994 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

when was the last tune up?
Old 05-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Popeye206
Many of you asked what it sounds like... the cut out is as if I've hit a limiter... the engine just won't go over 4000... it cuts out in a sputtering manner. I assume gas starvation, but it could be ignition related?

My other uneducated guess is maybe the 4 barrel is not getting gas and its only running on 1/2 a carb? I don't know enough about these carbs to really know how to check to make sure it's doing what it's supposed to do. :-) I'm use to an automatic and you knew when the secondaries opened up.

I hope this helps for those trying to help me... I'm going to go read more responses and see if anything rings a bell.
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. As mentioned, start with the fuel pump. If you can't test it using a gauge, try this.

First and foremost, start with the motor cold, remove the coil wire (so it can't start) and, just as an extra precaution, have a fire extinguisher handy.

Next, remove the line from the carb bowl. Slip a piece of hose and clamp over the line and tighten, then put the end of the line into a receptacle (coffee can, etc.). Next, have someone turn over the motor while you watch to see how much fuel pumps out of the line.

It should be a substantial amount as, your pump SHOULD be putting out around 6 psi! Then, report back. Good luck

Gary
Old 05-14-2017, 10:10 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

As always...And just in the process of elimination....Check the main electrical connection block at the firewall...Unplug it...Spray electrical contact cleaner on both sides and plug it back together...
Old 05-14-2017, 10:23 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Based on his post #10 he might be better served to have someone who has better knowledge take a look at it. I've seen well meaning people create more problems for someone than actually solve the original problem for them.
GTOguy (05-15-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Based on his post #10 he might be better served to have someone who has better knowledge take a look at it. I've seen well meaning people create more problems for someone than actually solve the original problem for them.
I can agree with that statement Randy but, if the OP intends to keep his car I don't see where doing a few basic tests thus, getting to learn more about his car, will hurt. After all, as we both know, there's surely to be more issues ahead and he's not going to learn much by bringing his car to someone every time he has a problem. Not to mention the cost AND, finding a shop near by that knows much more than he does.
My .02

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To 64, 327/365hp cuts out at 4000 rpm - any clues?

Old 05-14-2017, 11:33 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
I can agree with that statement Randy but, if the OP intends to keep his car I don't see where doing a few basic tests thus, getting to learn more about his car, will hurt. After all, as we both know, there's surely to be more issues ahead and he's not going to learn much by bringing his car to someone every time he has a problem. Not to mention the cost AND, finding a shop near by that knows much more than he does.
My .02

Gary
I'll half agree.

He could learn more by being involved in the trouble shooting process with an experienced helper in the room. But to suggest to him to disconnect electrical connectors and/or remove fuel lines and start cranking the engine over with gas squirting is a little scary when considering the depth of knowledge he appears to have or lack based on the wording of his questions. No disrespect to the OP, but you and I may have no problem doing those things, but I can think of a few of my car guy friends that I would absolutely leave the building if they started doing stuff like that.

All the advice is good. It just needs the appropriate warning label. YMMV.

In his next post he might be asking recommendations for burnt wiring and torched fiberglass repair or a recommendation for good contractor to rebuild his burnt down garage.

Last edited by Randy G.; 05-14-2017 at 11:36 PM.
jerry gollnick (05-16-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 11:54 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Randy G.;1594739561]I'll half agree.

He could learn more by being involved in the trouble shooting process with an experienced helper in the room. But to suggest to him to disconnect electrical connectors and/or remove fuel lines and start cranking the engine over with gas squirting is a little scary when considering the depth of knowledge he appears to have or lack based on the wording of his questions. No disrespect to the OP, but you and I may have no problem doing those things, but I can think of a few of my car guy friends that I would absolutely leave the building if they started doing stuff like that.

All the advice is good. It just needs the appropriate warning label. YMMV.

In his next post he might be asking recommendations for burnt wiring and torched fiberglass repair or a recommendation for good contractor to rebuild his burnt down garage.

You may have a point there.

Gary
Old 05-15-2017, 12:19 AM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

People! Always look at the plugs first. They tell all. Best possible would be to drive it into "the condition", do a clean cut (push in the clutch, switch off the ignition, coast to a stop) take out a plug or two and have a look. Sooty or wet=bad ignition, dry and or white = inadequate fuel.
OR next best, just take 'em all out and look. Post a picture. A lot of us can tell you a lot by looking at them. If some look just right and some not, look into the wires, condenser, points lead, evidence of arcing in the cap.

Quick Reply: 64, 327/365hp cuts out at 4000 rpm - any clues?