C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removal of Trailing Arms (where to cut)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 12:16 PM
John W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of Trailing Arms (where to cut)

I have given up on romving the front bolt on the trailing arms. One bolt is quite seized and the other side is giving fits with the cotter pin. Where exactly do you cut to remove the trailing arm? The only possible place seems to be through the exposed rubber bushing next to the shims, is this correct?

Thanks,
John
Old 09-28-2002, 10:19 PM
14-Paul
Instructor

Default Re: Removal of Trailing Arms (John W)

stick a sawzall, long blade, right up there and cut the bolt on both sides.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:37 PM
John W
Instructor

Default Re: Removal of Trailing Arms (14-Paul)

Where to cut? Through the shims and all at at an angle?

John
Old 09-29-2002, 08:25 PM
14-Paul
Instructor

Default Re: Removal of Trailing Arms (John W)

Mine was a rusted mess, and i couldnt really differentiate between what was shims and what was bolt or road debris fused in there. It really sucked, and I remeber I was really pissed when I did it :rolleyes: but I got out the trusty sawzall and cut straight thru the mess. all it is is a bolt going thru some shims and through the trailing arm. i think i just cut right straight down next to the bushing. if i remember correctly, i needed 2 cuts, one on each side of the trailing arm.

i hate to tell you, but your frame might have quite a bit of rot & rust in the trailing arm pocket area if the bolts are a complete mess. once you get the t arm off, check out the frame good.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:25 PM
John W
Instructor

Default Re: Removal of Trailing Arms (14-Paul)

I was able to work the driver's side out. The pocket is in good shape, the shims are intact and the bolt just need some "persuading" to get out.

The passenger side though is a candidate for cutting. I was able to get the cotterpin and nut off (took about 30 minutes of playing around). I unfortunately cannot get the bolt to budge. With the limited room, I can't get the bolt to turn (hopefully breaking it free from its 37 year old position), nor can I get a good angle to give it a whack from the threaded end.

I will check closely for rust, but I think that I may get lucky for once.

Thanks for the info,
John

Get notified of new replies

To Removal of Trailing Arms (where to cut)

Quick Reply: Removal of Trailing Arms (where to cut)