C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Colour Change??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Colour Change??????

The big debate

And I guess it might depend on how real the car is

I have a 66 427 in it's original white with black interior. I'm not an absolute stickler for originality but I really don't like white

It's currently at the body shop for a complete repaint in white and my thinking is that if it was painted perfectly in white it might be acceptable to me.

It's now or never, do I change and if so it would only be a period correct colour but what difference would it have on the value?

It's a straight nice usable car with a good frame etc.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Used to be a bigger deal than it is today. The restomod craze has changed many things. It is all about the quality of the finished product. Fender flares used to be a big $ hit but today people are looking for those cars. None of it matters except to the number *****.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipergtrs
The big debate

I have a 66 427 in it's original white with black interior. I'm not an absolute stickler for originality but I really don't like white

It's currently at the body shop for a complete repaint in white and my thinking is that if it was painted perfectly in white it might be acceptable to me.

It's now or never, do I change and if so it would only be a period correct colour but what difference would it have on the value?

If it's an original car... original motor, etc, etc., or even a "restoration motor", ....

it would "take a hit" on value based on the cost of repainting it in the correct color.

8K to 10K seems to be the going rate for paint jobs these days.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

A lot depends on if you are going to sell.

If you are the type to own one awhile, then trade for something different or sell to get something you like better, then figure the cost of a paint job the hit you will take.

If you plan to own it to the grave, then paint it what makes you happy.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

with what Chuck said but you can do the new fad going on today and have it painted then put a vinyl wrap of any color you like
Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 640 Likes on 395 Posts

Unless you plan to sell it in the next 6 months or so, I say paint it the color you want. I'd hate to spend the money to paint a car and not love the result.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, understood

I'll keep it a fair while I'm sure, love it

Not keen on wrapping, had that on another car.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 251 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

What color would you change it to?
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Used to be a bigger deal than it is today. The restomod craze has changed many things. It is all about the quality of the finished product. Fender flares used to be a big $ hit but today people are looking for those cars. None of it matters except to the number *****.
I will completely disagree. There is the restomod crowd, but those cars do not affect the correct color adding value to a numbers matching big block mid year car. It matters to people who understand value and the market, not just some people being called *****.
The following users liked this post:
65 vette dude (04-17-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 06:46 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,575 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Since you asked for opinions; imo your car sounds like a nice, original car. I would stick with white. Resto mods and non original cars are fine with me and color changes don't matter. Color changes on original cars matter alot.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:57 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

In my area, 8-10k will not even approach a decent paint job on one of these cars. Double that amount. I would say the car would take a 15-20k hit, if mostly original. Not a fan of white either, except with a red or blue interior. What about painting it the original white, and changing the interior color for contrast? Much easier/cheaper to un-do, and normal wear items over time, anyway. I vote for sticking a red interior in it and keeping it white.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:00 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
150% agree. Enjoy , drive, and embrace what ever fits your fancy. GM built a lot of them. With the new muscle cars on the horizon our old Corvettes are not gold bullion any more. No one can predict the future. It may be a ten k car years from now by the way of the model A's that were so strong a couple decades back. Restomods make the NCRS top flying paper trails second class citizens at the auctions. Go figure.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:14 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I was in your shoes not long ago.

Even though my car is highly modified, I stayed with the original color.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Like I tell my customers who ask me a question like this. I tell them to do WHAT THEY WANT. Life is too short to not be happy with what you have. The reason is that many people do not care if it is all original...and actually The car is ONLY original ONCE.

So...I have seen Corvettes painted in a newer pearl type paints like what is used in many cars today...and they get rave reviews....and I have also seen people picking a car to death ...even though it is the correct color...in order to get the price down.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-13-2017 at 05:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
jrs 427 (04-13-2017), still cruzin (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I will completely disagree. There is the restomod crowd, but those cars do not affect the correct color adding value to a numbers matching big block mid year car. It matters to people who understand value and the market, not just some people being called *****.
Quote from another member in this post:
"Restomods make the NCRS top flying paper trails second class citizens at the auctions. Go figure."

This being a Corvette specific site I expect comments like yours but the collecting world is much bigger and more Corvettes will trade hands at auctions then on all of the Corvette specific sites combined. Maybe you don't follow the auctions. Original color has little difference even on an otherwise numbers car. People get tired of looking forever to find just the right thing and will accept an otherwise matching numbers car with color changes and step up and pay the price.

Numbers ***** is not a derogatory term to me just a quick way to describe people like you that live in you own world of everything numbers matching a relating to value.
jrs 427 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
In my area, 8-10k will not even approach a decent paint job on one of these cars. Double that amount. I would say the car would take a 15-20k hit, if mostly original. Not a fan of white either, except with a red or blue interior. What about painting it the original white, and changing the interior color for contrast? Much easier/cheaper to un-do, and normal wear items over time, anyway. I vote for sticking a red interior in it and keeping it white.
You're absolutely right, a paint job on that car where I live will start at 20K!!

Having said that I'm not a fan of white cars either.

So I have a solution for the op. Paint the car white and sell it and get one that you like the color better.

If the op paints the car a non numbers color a huge hit will incur if you are to sell the car unexpectedly. Remember things do happen in life that we don't count on.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:18 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,549 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Bought a blue / blue Interior / white top F body because I always wanted a blue Camaro. Got it home before I read the trim tag (Stupid). Hate white.
Painted it the original Ermine White, but put a blue pearl in the clear coat and gives it some character when the sun hits it. Can't say I am deathly in love with it (it is not maroon) but I like it a lot more than just a plain blue or other basic colors. It is now over 20 years later.
If you are going to keep it, do what makes you happy, not all of the rest of us as we don't look at it every day.
If you are going to sell it, do some research and make your call. I don't know.
Do what your heart wants.
I am keeping my 3 until the wife and / or kids have to take the beating on price.

Get notified of new replies

To Colour Change??????

Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

So let me understand ...

a) you're not fond of white, even if it's flawless. I get that. I would never have a white one either

b) you have black interior, so you can paint it whatever color you like

c) you love the car and plan on keeping it a fair while (don't think any of us know what this means ... somewhere between 6 months and 25 years?)

d) by the time "a fair while" passes ... if its more than 10 years, you're daily driver will be a Tesla Model S cause by then the price will be down to under 6 figures. Even today the Model S blows the doors off any stock Hellcat or Z06 (without making hardly a sound).

So the answer to your question in my view would be ... paint it any other C2 color you like ... preferably a 66 color ... you have 9 others to choose from. Bill

Last edited by NightshiftHD; 04-12-2017 at 08:40 PM.
still cruzin (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 08:54 PM
still cruzin
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with NightshiftHD!

Your car...Paint to the color YOU like. Same year color is a good option.

Let the next owner worry about originally. He may not care? Or change it to something to his taste anyway.

Bob
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipergtrs
The big debate

I've been hearing about how the value of these cars will be tumbling for 20 years, they go up and down, like the stock market,but for the most part they keep an upward trend.the caveat is that the real cars keep on dwindling so in the future the real cars will be even more desirable.
I know that white cars do not have a lot of appeal and I can understand your concern, I would paint it a color that you like and don't worry about the value as long as you enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Colour Change??????