C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Colour Change??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:41 AM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Question for some of the experts/pro's , like DUB.
I have a highly original 81, low mileage, white with a saddle interior. Probably the last color combination I'd have chosen if given the choice. Here's my question..how good are these wraps? How much would they cost? And do you think it would damage the original, thin, lacquer paint when, and if , I decide to take it off? I'd love to see any "wrapped corvettes" if anyone has photographs. BTW a nice paint job, would cost almost as much as what the car is worth.

Last edited by chiefttp; 04-16-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
Now I know that paint always looks better in pictures...

but

Does the car NEED paint, or is it at the paint shop because you want to paint it?

To me it looks gorgeous... and I wouldn't DARE think about missing the short UK driving season by having it sit in a paint shop for the next 6-8+ Months.

I used to live in East Anglia/Newmarket (for about 5 years), so personally, I would drive the snot out of it, hit every show, and enjoy the car until the weather socks back in, in the fall.
Then ask yourself if you want to spend the coin to paint the car which will then make you scared to drive on UK roads (the American Services Car insurance folks, USAA stopped including windshield replacement for US Service members stationed in the UK as part of their insurance package because they only seemed to make it a couple years before falling victim to the roads).

Your car REALLY looks nice, and seems to have everything from pipes to knock-offs... you just itchin to spend some quid? If so, just buy a Teak wheel (if you don't have one already) and call it a day... and get to driving!

Yeah, it does need painting. It has various shades of white and in the shuts etc the paint is poor plus body lines are wobbly

I bought it in Feb 16 and used it all last summer. I don't enjoy cleaning a car if it's not rewarding when finished

I can live without it this summer as I've plenty of other classics to play with
Old 04-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefttp
Question for some of the experts/pro's , like DUB.
I have a highly original 81, low mileage, white with a saddle interior. Probably the last color combination I'd have chosen if given the choice. Here's my question..how good are these wraps? How much would they cost? And do you think it would damage the original, thin, lacquer paint when, and if , I decide to take it off? I'd love to see any "wrapped corvettes" if anyone has photographs. BTW a nice paint job, would cost almost as much as what the car is worth.
With all due respect, that may be true for an '81 but, definitely NOT a C2!

Gary
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 200 Posts

Paint it the color you will be happy with, it's your money and car and come time to sell I don't think you will have a difficult time getting what you want out of it unless you get upside down in a big way. Look at the project cars on epay and cragelist going in excess of $20k and then add another $15k at least to make a nice driver. A numbers matching midyear Corvette does not carry a lot of weight with me as anyone with the know how and means can replicate nearly every aspect of what the factory did and the car can pass as a numbers matching original. I wish GM would have linked the VIN to the engine type and trans, then numbers matching might be worth more to me, but GM did not and therein lies the crux of numbers matching. Two of my least favorite colors are the colors you are considering, silver and black. Silver looks good but it seems like a car in need of paint and black is hard to keep clean, magnifies any defect, is hot, and blunts the styling, might as well be a silhouette. But if Chevrolet had only offered one color choice I would still have a black C2. That's my 2 cents worth and no you can't have a refund.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:26 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by SW Vette
Color change will decrease the value, period. The only question is by how much, and do you care?

BTW your car looks great. I like white on a midyear.
I have a white Corvette, and i think this statement is true only some of the time for some of the people.

Or, simply, the only absolutes are there are no absolutes.

A brown or tan c3 is an extreme example- I've been watching one languish on Craigslist that's very original at a price that would have it gone tomorrow if it was incorrectly red or silver and not "flesh."

if I'm a buyer for a 66 427 I knock the price down further for it being white than I do for it being incorrectly laguna blue. I like blue. Originality matters not to me.

Just different opinions is all.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:29 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

100%. To change the color on a big block C2 is a huge mistake in my book.....unless you plan on owning it until you die.....then your family will take a big hit when they decide to sell. When I was looking to buy my C2, I wouldn't even go look at a car that had a color change, or had a NOM. As you can see in my avatar, I ended up with a Goldwood yellow 65. By far, not my favorite color......but that's the way the General made it.....ACTUNG!
Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I will completely disagree. There is the restomod crowd, but those cars do not affect the correct color adding value to a numbers matching big block mid year car. It matters to people who understand value and the market, not just some people being called *****.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:27 AM
My addiction
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If your going for the stock look I love white with a set of knock offs and gold line tires. Someone on the forum has a gorgeous looking 65/66 coupe with the above and it looks stunning. If your going to aftermarket wheels and tires other than knockoffs paint it whatever color you like!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipergtrs
It's not for investment although it's nice to know it has a decent value if ever i need the cash.

Thinking about it, it's also a sense of pride or knowing that it's the colour on the tag and the colour it left the factory with.....But...........
I think you just answered your own question....., but who am I to say? I love white cars and bought my White '66 (30+ years ago) knowing the original color was Milano Maroon. To each his own. Life is short, do what makes you happy. FWIW, I think your car looks GREAT in the photo you posted. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:54 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I will completely disagree. There is the restomod crowd, but those cars do not affect the correct color adding value to a numbers matching big block mid year car. It matters to people who understand value and the market, not just some people being called *****.
The original color no matter which will bring more money at the table seen it time and time again.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

If you do not like White then why did you buy the car??

Last edited by Mike Terry; 04-18-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Give that man a cigar!

Gary
Old 04-19-2017, 07:34 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Because it's an original big block mid-year with side pipes. Just say'n.

Oooops, just saw he said it's "not" original. Must have been thinking about another car. Sorry folks. Please don't Flame me.

Last edited by Jims66; 04-19-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:31 AM
65BotaHam
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

The correct answer is "C2"...

Old 04-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

It's an original Big Block car

I bought it white because over here there's little choice and more important to me was the fact that it's a good clean car with excellent chassis and nicely detailed engine bay

White's not popular here but I'm thinking that the premium paid for black might equal the drop because it's white
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I have no idea what paint jobs over there cost but, if that's the case, then you may not lose much $ if you do decide to paint it another color.

Gary
Old 04-19-2017, 03:38 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipergtrs
It's an original Big Block car

I bought it white because over here there's little choice and more important to me was the fact that it's a good clean car with excellent chassis and nicely detailed engine bay

White's not popular here but I'm thinking that the premium paid for black might equal the drop because it's white
I agree 100% on this, and think I stated it awhile back. A black car, although a bear to keep clean, appeals to everybody, even non-car people. It makes all the chrome and the lines of the car really stand out. If you painted it black, it would not decrease the value, IMO....and would sell faster, too.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I agree 100% on this, and think I stated it awhile back. A black car, although a bear to keep clean, appeals to everybody, even non-car people. It makes all the chrome and the lines of the car really stand out. If you painted it black, it would not decrease the value, IMO....and would sell faster, too.
Yes you did, probably what generated my thoughts

Get notified of new replies

To Colour Change??????

Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Triple black! You'll LOVE it!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:47 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Mine was Black beautiful paint job but wrong color .
I stripped it and put it back to Sebring Silver ,I Think in my case the original color will be a the way to go ,why would black sell for more
I don't agree .
Attached Images   
Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
Mine was Black beautiful paint job but wrong color .
I stripped it and put it back to Sebring Silver ,I Think in my case the original color will be a the way to go ,why would black sell for more
I don't agree .
Silver with a red gut is a whole lot more appealing than white with a black gut. Not even a comparison. (In my opinion, anyway). Your SWC looks great black or silver.

Quick Reply: Colour Change??????