C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone live in Maine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Anyone live in Maine?

First off, I cross-posted this in other sections so I could find a larger pool of possible attendees and opinions.

In the past, has anyone done the "Vettes of Coastal Maine" Bar Harbor Tour? :-> http://vettesofcoastalmaine.org/

I live in New Jersey but my daughter lives in Bangor, Maine. For some, hopefully quality “father and daughter” time, I always visit during the last weekend in June. With this “tour” being the first weekend, I thought if I switch it up, it might be a nice weekend together so she could see just how crazy and pathetic her old man is.

All opinions will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:09 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes I live in Maine but during this "mud season" of March and April I'm not sure why I do. June should be a great time, especially in the Acadia/Bar Harbor area. I have never been on one of their tours but it should be a lot of fun in a special part of Maine. In Acadia NP I would suggest eating at the Jordan Pond Tea house and trying their lobster stew and popovers. If you ride bikes the carriage trails there offer what I think is some of the best riding in the country. The tour probably drives up Cadillac mountain, the first part of the US to see the sun rise in parts of the year. There is a great auto museum there, the Seal Cove Museum that has a good selection of brass era cars. While I-95 is the quickest way to get to Bangor, think about using Route 1 along the coast for one leg to check out some places like Camden and Rockland with a great Wyeth collection in their museum. Hope you have a great time.
The following users liked this post:
GreenGA (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I think "Jackfit" lives in Maine also.......
Old 04-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Yes I do!

Come on up, roads are great!
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 AM
427/42566 coup
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Stationed at Dow "64/65". Few Mopar's/GTO's,GM's running around. Had local drive in to hang out for bench racing, and occasional grudge runs
Old 04-10-2017, 10:11 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 427/42566 coup
Stationed at Dow "64/65". Few Mopar's/GTO's,GM's running around. Had local drive in to hang out for bench racing, and occasional grudge runs
Would that have been Nickey's?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 AM
427/42566 coup
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MaineDoc
Would that have been Nickey's?
Don't think so,but it's a long time
Old 04-10-2017, 11:38 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Come on up, roads are great!

Oh yeah, that's a nice ride...

Oh, yeah, thanks for the advice, too.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:29 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I spent 2 years in Bangor; there are 2 seasons in Maine, winter and road repair...

enjoy

Bill
Old 04-11-2017, 06:19 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmf62
I spent 2 years in Bangor; there are 2 seasons in Maine, winter and road repair...

enjoy

Bill

I couldn't help myself. I started reading your post but after reading "I spent 2 years in Bangor", in my head I finished that with "one weekend".

But yeah, Bangor's not a bad place. Nice downtown (all three or four blocks of it) and the waterfront area, especially during the music festival, is killer...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:34 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by GreenGA
I couldn't help myself. I started reading your post but after reading "I spent 2 years in Bangor", in my head I finished that with "one weekend".

But yeah, Bangor's not a bad place. Nice downtown (all three or four blocks of it) and the waterfront area, especially during the music festival, is killer...
kinda sorta fascinating... that part of Maine....

minus 52 temp the day we watched the Daytona 500 on tv...

a LOT of older folks, all the young, that can, leave...

lobster was 3 for $10, and so plentiful that the Red Lobster restaurant chain couldn't compete and went out of business (you could get lobster rolls at McDonalds...)

sit down by the Penobscot River in Bangor (24 miles inland from the bay by river...) when the tide is coming in the water flows backwards (upstream...) due to high tides of approx. 15 feet...., watch a leaf drift downstream, then watch it come back up..

AND, it is the only place where I have experienced 'cabin fever' (in the winter...).

beautiful country tho

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 04-11-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:19 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

kinda sorta fascinating... that part of Maine....

minus 52 temp the day we watched the Daytona 500 on tv...

a LOT of older folks, all the young, that can, leave...

lobster was 3 for $10, and so plentiful that the Red Lobster restaurant chain couldn't compete and went out of business (you could get lobster rolls at McDonalds...)

sit down by the Penobscot River in Bangor (24 miles inland from the bay by river...) when the tide is coming in the water flows backwards (upstream...) due to high tides of approx. 15 feet...., watch a leaf drift downstream, then watch it come back up..

AND, it is the only place where I have experienced 'cabin fever' (in the winter...).

beautiful country tho

Bill

It DOES get cold up there. A few years ago my EX sent me a photo of a thermometer hanging on the outside of her house, it read -20. She also sent me a photo of the bottle of frozen EVO that was stored under her kitchen cabinet that backed up to an outside wall. When winter hits, she and her husband spend all winter in the bedroom, bathroom (when necessary) and the kitchen. DAMN is that cold.

I tend to agree that the younger crowd, if they can, head south for warmer climes and better opportunity. On any morning at Dysarts one peek at the crowd proves your point about many older folks...

But it IS beautiful country.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

It DOES get cold up there. A few years ago my EX sent me a photo of a thermometer hanging on the outside of her house, it read -20. She also sent me a photo of the bottle of frozen EVO that was stored under her kitchen cabinet that backed up to an outside wall. When winter hits, she and her husband spend all winter in the bedroom, bathroom (when necessary) and the kitchen. DAMN is that cold.

I tend to agree that the younger crowd, if they can, head south for warmer climes and better opportunity. On any morning at Dysarts one peek at the crowd proves your point about many older folks...

But it IS beautiful country.
That was then, now Portland it one of the top ten food destinations in the country.

You can buy a nice condo for 2,000,000 now on the water downtown. Economy needs skilled workers....many near Portland telecommute or earn their living from jobs that do not need their presence.

The roads are great for driving...both interstate and state highways.

We are only 100 miles (Portland) from Boston and 60 miles from Mt. Washington NH.

Jack

picture of my right side mirror ......
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

enjoy

Bill
I thought there were actually four seasons..., Fall, Winter, Spring and the 4th of July weekend !!

All kidding aside, I love Maine. When I was a kid we spent a couple of weeks every summer at Old Orchard Beach.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:33 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

That was then, now Portland it one of the top ten food destinations in the country.

You can buy a nice condo for 2,000,000 now on the water downtown. Economy needs skilled workers....many near Portland telecommute or earn their living from jobs that do not need their presence.

We are only 100 miles (Portland) from Boston and 60 miles from Mt. Washington NH.

Jack

and then there is 'Bangor' and 'The County'... completely different worlds from southern Maine...

and THEN there are the black flies....

Bill
Old 04-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

love Maine, especially August and February.

pic of my sled a few years back looking out over Moosehead Lake, Greenville Jct.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2017, 02:50 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Jack

I had heard that about Portland. Wow.... Now, $2,000.000 for a condo on the waterfront, I can see I'm not moving there anytime soon.

As I mentioned elsewhere (not certain if it was this forum or one of the others), Maine is my second most favorite state. I would have no problems living there as long as I could telecommute to Trenton; not likely in my lifetime...

That's a great shot of your rearview.

A new associate of mine here at the Judiciary, said he spent a great time chatting with you last year under a tent at Carlisle. When I mentioned I was going to post my question about the Tour, he said to make sure I connected with you.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone live in Maine?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:54 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

and then there is 'Bangor' and 'The County'... completely different worlds from southern Maine...

and THEN there are the black flies....

Bill

I was warned about the blackflies when I started visiting my daughter each year; June and September. September, I was safe, June, I guess I've been lucky since it was always the last weekend of the month. This year, well...., since I'll want to drive with the top down, I hope I can outrun them.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:06 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mikado463
love Maine, especially August and February.

pic of my sled a few years back looking out over Moosehead Lake, Greenville Jct.

I like Moosehead Lake and the surrounding area. I drove through there once back in the 70's during one of my cross country motorcycle trips. (probably should have bought property, huh...?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:54 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

I like Moosehead Lake and the surrounding area. I drove through there once back in the 70's during one of my cross country motorcycle trips. (probably should have bought property, huh...?
Moosehead is a BIG lake....
Bill

Quick Reply: Anyone live in Maine?