C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Man do I need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 12:36 AM
beatervette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you have correct timing pointer installed on timing chain cover?
Old 04-07-2017, 07:58 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,610 Likes on 3,030 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Plug wires correct direction from number 1 (clockwise) in firing order on the cap?
I don't think this is a likely scenario.

If the plug wires are in the right sequence but the wrong direction, the engine won't run. It will fire once per distributor revolution and that's all it will do.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:34 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by havasumark View Post

OK, So here is the current state of my motor
1. Crank gear dot is at 12 O'clock
2. Cam Gear dot is at 12 O'clock
3. #1 piston is on the compression stroke @ TDC (timing mark on balancer is on zero mark on chain cover)
4. Dist. rotor tap is pointing to #1 cyl.

Just so I understand, and I clearly do not understand.

Shouldn't the alignment be like the diagram in Mikes #49 post, and the dist pointing to #1, and the timing mark on the pointer. Instead of both dots being at 12 o'clock?
Old 04-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplus

3. #1 piston is on the compression stroke @ TDC (timing mark on balancer is on zero mark on chain cover)

Shouldn't the alignment be like the diagram in Mikes #49 post, and the dist pointing to #1, and the timing mark on the pointer. Instead of both dots being at 12 o'clock?

No because with the gears dot-to-dot, #1 is TDC on the EXHAUST stroke and #6 is firing.

So why do they tell you to install the gears dot-to-dot? Easier to verify proper valve (not ignition) timing than eyeballing 12-to-12.

I don't know about later editions, but the early books on building a SBC did not adequately highlight to need to rotate the engine for installing the distributor in the #1 firing position....
Old 04-08-2017, 12:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplus

Look closely and tell me again what you see.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I don't think this is a likely scenario.

If the plug wires are in the right sequence but the wrong direction, the engine won't run. It will fire once per distributor revolution and that's all it will do.
With the wires in the opposite direction #1 and #6 would still be in the right spot on the distributor so at least two would fire correctly for each distributor revolution. 2 and 3 would be coming off TDC and still fire, but very retarded. 5 and 8 would be very advanced and try to backfire the engine. 4 and 7 would be dead holes.

Last edited by Randy G.; 04-08-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:56 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,610 Likes on 3,030 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Randy G.
With the wires in the opposite direction #1 and #6 would still be in the right spot on the distributor so at least two would fire correctly for each distributor revolution. 2 and 3 would be coming off TDC and still fire, but very retarded. 5 and 8 would be very advanced and try to backfire the engine. 4 and 7 would be dead holes.
Randy, I hear what you are saying. And while it makes sense, it doesn't match up with my 1st hand experience.

Friend trailered his GS with a freshly built, but non running engine for me to trouble shoot. The symptom was that it was firing once per revolution (distributor revolution? engine revolution? too long ago and I just don't remember).

My "ah ha" moment was the instant I noticed his plug wires were in the right sequence but wrong rotation. Switched everything and the engine roared to life, as it should have.

Anyway, point being that the engine made no other effort to fire. It didn't almost run. It flat would not run. It didn't even backfire or kick back.

Jim

Last edited by jim lockwood; 04-08-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:12 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by havasumark
Are you trying to start the motor with the initial timing set at zero? Try 8 to 12 degrees BEFORE TOP DEAD CENTER

Last edited by DSR; 04-08-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:49 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Man, I don 't know why I can't get my head around this issue. My motor is as stated below

3. #1 piston is on the compression stroke @ TDC (timing mark on balancer is on zero mark on chain cover tab)
4. Dist. rotor tab is pointing to #1 cylinder
5. Both rockers on #1 cylinder are loose
6. Both rockers on #6 cylinder are tight

So you are saying with the above status all is good with my setup. If that's the case, than my issue is carb related. I have gone thru the carb twice and all is now correct. I cant see anything else wrong with it. But when I start the car it's a very hard start and just floods everything with fuel motor coughs and pops. Spark plugs oil get all fouled with fuel.

Mark
Mark,

The above quoted post must put to rest all doubts related to your engine's cam vs distributor synchronization.

Lets move on.

Please post a picture of your distributor and indicate, if you can, the wire positions in the distributor towers using 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 going clockwise. If all wires trace to the proper plug positions, your timing marks are pointing (near) zero, both valves in #1 are closed, and the rotor is pointing to #1 position then all is well. I say (near) zero because if it's within 10 15 degrees either way the engine will fire and run. Those finer points can be worked out later and I only say that in case of an unlikely spun balancer (damper) ring or unlikely SNAFU (FOOBAR) timing tab. In order to isolate either of those possibilities you will need a bronze piston stop.

Please see this thread as reference:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cylinder.html

Move on

Check fuel pressure at carb inlet. It should be no more than 7 psig.

Next

Swap carburetor for known good one.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 04-08-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:42 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Randy, I hear what you are saying. And while it makes sense, it doesn't match up with my 1st hand experience.

Friend trailered his GS with a freshly built, but non running engine for me to trouble shoot. The symptom was that it was firing once per revolution (distributor revolution? engine revolution? too long ago and I just don't remember).

My "ah ha" moment was the instant I noticed his plug wires were in the right sequence but wrong rotation. Switched everything and the engine roared to life, as it should have.

Anyway, point being that the engine made no other effort to fire. It didn't almost run. It flat would not run. It didn't even backfire or kick back.

Jim
I certainly wouldn't run out to the garage and start swapping wires to see for myself! I'll take your word for it.

Sometimes I wish people having problems like this lived closer so I could go play with their stuff and try to fix it. Love the challenge and detective work it takes to figure it out. For me I like to confirm TDC on everything I build, now matter how shiny the timing pointer is that came out of the box. After that it's a no brainer.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:43 AM
DSR
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DSR
Are you trying to start the motor with the initial timing set at zero? Try 8 to 12 degrees BEFORE TOP DEAD CENTER
try this. Set the pointer on your harmonic balancer to 10 degrees BTDC. Turn your distributor until the rotor points directly at number one terminal on your distributor cap. Then try and start it.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 PM
havasumark
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Update!!

I had to step away from the car for a bit. Part do to very high frustration levels LoL!! and part do me traveling.
I have narrowed it down to carb issues, which I believe I have corrected. The one thing I was sure was ok and never checked, was fuel pump pressure. Today I disconnected my fuel line to the carb and stuck a pressure gauge on it. Disconnected the coil and cranked the motor. Pressure was 8.5 or so. I believe that is way to high. should be around 5. My question, Is it proper to check it this was with the gauge just deadheaded in the line while cranking the motor. Would that give me a false high reading..

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 431 Likes on 321 Posts

Update!!

I had to step away from the car for a bit. Part do to very high frustration levels LoL!! and part do me traveling.
I have narrowed it down to carb issues, which I believe I have corrected. The one thing I was sure was ok and never checked, was fuel pump pressure. Today I disconnected my fuel line to the carb and stuck a pressure gauge on it. Disconnected the coil and cranked the motor. Pressure was 8.5 or so. I believe that is way to high. should be around 5. My question, Is it proper to check it this was with the gauge just deadheaded in the line while cranking the motor. Would that give me a false high reading..

Thanks,
Mark
Based on your test, I would venture to guess you have some hi performance mis matched fuel pump in there, or else your pump has an internal flaw. The WCFB wants 5 or 5.1/2 lbs of fuel pressure. 8.5 is way too high and you are overwhelming the needles and seats on the floats. You can run down to your local FLAPS and get a generic basic pump and once you clean up the plugs, if your carb really is OK, I think it may just do the trick. Pilot Dan

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 04-25-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 PM
havasumark
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Based on your test, I would venture to guess you have some hi performance mis matched fuel pump in there, or else your pump has an internal flaw. The WCFB wants 5 or 5.1/2 lbs of fuel pressure. 8.5 is way too high and you are overwhelming the needles and seats on the floats. You can run down to your local FLAPS and get a generic basic pump and once you clean up the plugs, if your carb really is OK, I think it may just do the trick. Pilot Dan
Thanks,,

Just wanted to check.. I'm figuring that it's been a big part of the issues I've been having.. That's what I get for not checking it in the first place..

Another lesson learned..

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,085 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

8.5 lbs is not good for these old carbs. 5 to 5-1/2 is about right and they'll actually run with 4 lbs or even a little less pressure. The spring and diaphragm in the pump is usually the culprit.

It may not be all of your problem but it certainly isn't helping...
Old 04-26-2017, 01:29 PM
havasumark
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
8.5 lbs is not good for these old carbs. 5 to 5-1/2 is about right and they'll actually run with 4 lbs or even a little less pressure. The spring and diaphragm in the pump is usually the culprit.

It may not be all of your problem but it certainly isn't helping...
Thanks Frankie,

Yes I've had many issues with this startup.. But I believe I've fixed them all.. Can't tell you how many times people have asked me about fuel pump pressure. I was sure it was fine as I was sure it was the same pump I had on it 13 years ago last time I had it running. Finally I did check it and was way high. Somehow I put a different pump on. Shame on me for not checking it at the beginning of my issues..

Mark
Old 04-30-2017, 05:28 AM
Fivepointfive
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default cam to crank position

Line the dots up--12 on the crank, 6 on the cam. Install timing chain.
Turn #1 to TDC. Motor would be on #1 or #6 at this point--both pistons at TDC.
If distributor rotor is pointing to the number 1 sparkplug wire, both the intake and exhaust valves should be closed. (this is the top of the compression stroke and just prior to the power stroke. At this point, one of the valves on #6 will be open--just check the pushrods) Think in these terms: Gas mixture in #1 cylinder is fully compressed with both valves closed. Spark ignites. piston goes down with full power (no place else for exploded gas to go as both valves are closed). Piston heads up and pushes exploded gas out the open exhaust valve., and the beat goes on! Timing and valve lash come next.

Quick Reply: [C1] Man do I need help!!