C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 Corvette Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

In CA. only crooks will have guns and law bidding people will be up a creek without a gun to protect there self or the family. I would not live n CA if they gave me a home and food and what ever else I need to get by on. I will stay right where I am and carry my guns. I buy cars all over the United States and sometimes I carry a lot of cask but I also carry items to protect me if the need comes about. Hopefully it never does but if it does I would be ready for it. How do you protect yourself in CA. from the bad guys who try to rob you or kidnap your family or rape your wife. Tell them to wait till you call the police??? I would rather be caught in a State where I am not allowed to carry a gun then to be caught in a State needing a gun to protect myself or my family and not have a gun when I need it the most. 2nd amendment carry a gun. There are cities in TX where you must carry a gun, it is the law and there is NO CRIME. Why? because everyone knows everyone else is carrying and can protect there self and families so there is no crime. Hopefully I never have to use a gun on anyone but if I would I will have it to protect myself and my family. You can bet just firing a gun near someone that is trying to take your car will do wonders in making them leave with out the car.

Last edited by Mike Terry; 03-02-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:04 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,956 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Sorry to say Pat you are wrong, I do not carry a gun or 2 just for the hell of it. You come and try to see if I don't shoot you. I was told by a cop friend of mine who said if I ever use my gun, make sure I shoot to kill because a dead man can not come and get you when he is out of jail nor can he file a law suite on you for shooting him if he is dead. No that being said look at this car below and tell me I would not shoot you if I caught you trying to take it. If you think not you are

Remember dead men do not talk so there for the police would have to prove you are not telling the truth on what happened. Now come and try to take my car or cars.

LOL!! Not me Mike! I'm not a criminal and I don't steal!

No need for that nonsense!

Best of luck to you, as I hope you never have to exercise that circumstance.

I don't know if you have ever been involved in legal activity, any type of litigation, or any type of criminal defense or not, but a prosecuting attorney would have a field day if you were ever in a situation where you used a firearm.

I would never put on social media what I wouldn't expect to show up in any type of litigation.

Cell phones and social media sites are an incredible resource for gathering information while building a case, or while providing a defense of one as well.

By the way, you're car is beautiful!

Pat
The following users liked this post:
jerry gollnick (03-03-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:18 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

In CA. only crooks will have guns and law bidding people will be up a creek without a gun to protect there self or the family. I would not live n CA if they gave me a home and food and what ever else I need to get by on. I will stay right where I am and carry my guns. I buy cars all over the United States and sometimes I carry a lot of cask but I also carry items to protect me if the need comes about. Hopefully it never does but if it does I would be ready for it. How do you protect yourself in CA. from the bad guys who try to rob you or kidnap your family or rape your wife. Tell them to wait till you call the police??? I would rather be caught in a State where I am not allowed to carry a gun then to be caught in a State needing a gun to protect myself or my family and not have a gun when I need it the most. 2nd amendment carry a gun. There are cities in TX where you must carry a gun, it is the law and there is NO CRIME. Why? because everyone knows everyone else is carrying and can protect there self and families so there is no crime. Hopefully I never have to use a gun on anyone but if I would I will have it to protect myself and my family. You can bet just firing a gun near someone that is trying to take your car will do wonders in making them leave with out the car.
I don't think you meant to say that.

Also, don't fool yourself into thinking the entire State of California is like San Francisco, or Southern CA.

Sure we have politicians who are absolutely ridiculous, but we also have several hundred square miles where law enforcement is led by an elected official (Sheriff). Elected by the residents, not appointed by a governing body.

There are actually several Counties where law abiding citizens can obtain a concealed weapons permit.

Unfortunately, we are bound by many of the nonsense gun laws specific to California, but many of us are still hanging in there.

Now back to the original post.

I sure do feel bad for the individual who lost his car. It absolutely sucks to have your classic stolen!

Last edited by ptjsk; 03-02-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:31 AM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

A lot of bad information here. You can legally purchase thousands of different types of firearms in CA.
There are more legally purchased firearms protecting more individuals and families in CA than any other State in the U.S.
It's not even close.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:37 AM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Law abiding citizens have the constitutional right to be just as well armed as the military. This right was established over 200 years ago. The reason? To keep a rouge government in check. Disarm the public and you have total control over them. It happened in Germany in the '30's. In CA, the laws are being written to abolish guns by way of the back door: ammunition restrictions and the closure of gun shops. One reason the Japanese did not invade the west coast of the US in WW2 was because they assumed the entire public was armed and ready to fight. They had it pretty correct. That's why they sent bomb-laden balloons. A gun is just a tool, a thing, not good, not bad. Unfortunately, there is no way to regulate and restrict whack jobs from getting one. But one thing's for certain: restrict gun access to the law abiding, and only the criminals and crazies will have guns. Australia did their gun ban a few years back, and home invasions and violent crime went up about 44% in the first year alone. All this said, being armed is unlikely to stop a car thief, and likely to get a former law abiding gun owner in a whole bunch of legal trouble. The best bet is insurance, secure storage, and tracking devices. I agree that car thieves are the lowest of the low, but shooting one down is going down the legal rabbit hole, no matter how good it would feel.
Sorry, but that's incorrect.
You absolutely do not have the "consitutional right to be as well armed as the military." Not even close. You do not have the constitutional right to walk around with a fully automatic machine gun. You do not have the constitutional right to own a fully functioning, armed tank or missile launcher, or rocket propelled grenade launcher.
The 2nd Amendment guarantees your right to bear arms but that does not give you the same rights as the military.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:14 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS78SILVERANNIV
Sorry, but that's incorrect.
You absolutely do not have the "consitutional right to be as well armed as the military." Not even close. You do not have the constitutional right to walk around with a fully automatic machine gun. You do not have the constitutional right to own a fully functioning, armed tank or missile launcher, or rocket propelled grenade launcher.
The 2nd Amendment guarantees your right to bear arms but that does not give you the same rights as the military.
Arms was defined as what can be carried on one's person, so a tank, etc., wouldn't qualify I suppose. But your statement "You absolutely do not have the "constitutional right to be as well armed as the military" could be argued. You do realize the bill of rights specifically places restrictions on the government and not the people, correct?
GTOguy (03-04-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 04:17 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Just curious. Have you ever lived in CA?

Here's a map of conceal carry counties in California. I live in a green one, and I don't go anywhere without it (and I'm not talking about the map).

The following 2 users liked this post by Randy G.:
mcb55-210 (03-04-2017), ptjsk (03-05-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 07:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Some valid points....there are two types of car thieves in my mind when it comes to classic cars:

1) punks who want a joy ride, and,
2) all out pros

The first type you MIGHT catch in the act but killing somebody over a property crime doesn't play well with a jury; particularly if the perps are young and foolish....you'll prob get your car back in OK to messed up shape. If you maim or kill the thief in a non-life threatening confrontation you will be selling the car anyway for legal costs.

The second type are ghosts; they will take your car and be gone and odds are you will never see it again or, if so, just a scrap or two....you won't get a chance to shoot these guys.

In either case pleading you just HAD to shoot a car thief when you have the vehicle insured out the aZZ isn't gonna win you a popularity contest. 50% of people are already pizzed off at you for being wealthy enough to own a classic Corvette (maybe two). And then you shot somebody over a toy, something you don't need for your livelihood or health ? Yeah - good luck with that.

I've had a CCW for longer than some here have been alive in states all up and down the East Coast.... I've lugged along wheelguns and bottom feeders from every top manufacturer that comes to mind. Enjoy your braggadocio (I think its dangerous from a legal standpoint) but keep your head on straight and don't think because you're an old man you won't get charged like anybody else and get sentenced the same way.

There are probably more instances of justified and unjustified shootings in Florida than any other place I've lived.

Unless somebody is going to hurt myself or family I'm not gonna take a chance on being in prison at 65 years old and wearing a strapless gown and high heels for Bubba or some drug kingpin...

And if you get past the criminal charges there is always the civil suit ... that can be as bad or worse...

So all you chest-thumpers take note....queue the Texans now to tell us they can shoot people over property crimes...

/rant

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-03-2017 at 10:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
jerry gollnick (03-03-2017), ptjsk (03-05-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 11:53 AM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

There's a program on TV call "Person of Interest". The hero always shoots people in the knee. I've wondered why Police don't train to do the same. I know you have to be fairly close to do that, but you have to be fairly close with a pistol anyway.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:24 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I really feel for this guy. I had my new dually truck stolen in 1990 in Knoxville at the spring Corvette show. Checked into the hotel and in less than 30 minutes, it was gone. Called the police and the cop that showed up couldn't have cared less. Almost every tool I owned was in it. They never found it. Insurance paid off after 30 days in case it's found but it was a huge hassle. I wouldn't shoot someone trying to steal it unless he's in my house, then he's dead meat.

Last edited by Geralds57; 03-03-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by kolsen911
There's a program on TV call "Person of Interest". The hero always shoots people in the knee. I've wondered why Police don't train to do the same. I know you have to be fairly close to do that, but you have to be fairly close with a pistol anyway.
Because that cowboy BS belongs in the movies. In a stressful, high adrenaline situation the first thing that goes are fine motor skills and tunnel vision starts. Many times its dark or dusk, both parties in motion and innocent bystanders involved.

You should research the stats on police officers completely missing people multiple times from just a few feet away. The typical encounter and what most train for is the 21 foot engagement. Any closer and there is a chance the other guy can disarm you...from a holstered position.

Any self-defense class will teach a double-tap to the center of body mass...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-03-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:33 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Looks good in the movies. Unfortunately there are cases of law enforcement officers unintentionally killing their own partners while trying to "wing" somebody or shoot them in the knee.
Bullets have ricocheted and actually killed bystanders and other police officers.
Suspects with multiple wounds in the extremities have been known to overpower police officers. Not a good tactic.
Much more efficient to aim for maximum body mass with vital organs. Don't fire the gun unless you mean to kill someone. Period.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Corvette

This really is a joke right?

Try to take out the legs of criminals who are shooting at you with all intentions to kill you???

Can't be serious!
Old 03-04-2017, 01:41 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

At the academy range they teach you to fill the 8x14 center mass box until the threat is eliminated. If you take your firearm out of your holster, you are prepared to shoot to kill, period. Shooting in the knee or "winging" people is a cartoon activity seen in movies and TV.

Not only will you miss, but you will kill the lady with the stroller 10 yards behind your target.
The following 3 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
Frankie the Fink (03-09-2017), GTOguy (03-04-2017), ptjsk (03-05-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 01:59 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Root2812
Of course he isn't literal. My point is a gun can't do anything. It's very tiresome that every time something bad happens someone has to say a gun could have stopped it or that won't happen to me because of my gun. And no one is trying to take your guns away or make it illegal to have one. That's an argument made up to rally gun owners up. All the so called gun control laws and proposals have been about keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and to limit assault weapons. No one really needs a closet full of automatic weapons. We all know that there is no way in hell the constitution ever gets amended to take away guns or make them illegal so why are you afraid of that. If anything they might get slightly harder to buy so if you want one it takes a few extra weeks for more back ground checks. That doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

My point is that all the statements about how a gun keeps you safe is rediculas.
You have every right to your opinion, but I think you are parroting arguments gun control people around you are saying and you might need to think about them. Check some facts and reconsider:

"No one is trying to take your guns away" -during the election the losing candidate not only promoted this idea more than once, she stated that the Australian method of gun confiscation was something the US should look at. Look it up. Her old boss agreed with her, as did many on that side.

"Or make it illegal to have one" - not only did that same candidate look at every avenue to do just that, she and her predecessor wanted to block ammo purchases, make it impossible to legally make transactions with all sorts of overregulation and when Justice Scalia died, she stated her intent to overturn as much legal gun ownership as possible, including going after the Heller decision and the Second Amendment itself. Please read her record and those who supported her.

"All the so called gun control laws..."- " all" is a patently false descriptor of the laws and painfully easy to disprove.

"Limit assault weapons" - a favorite term of the anti gun crowd. Tell us what you think an assault weapon is.

"No one needs automatic weapons"- those of us that actually know what automatic weapons are, know they are illegal.

"No way the Constitution gets amended" - again, look at the landscape before the election. The Antigun candidate was salivating at restocking a new majority at the SCOTUS and doing precisely that.

Respectfully, your entire paragraph is a summary of the Antigun crowd's most easily destroyed arguments used against those that don't know better. Ridiculously easy.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
GTOguy (03-04-2017), ptjsk (03-05-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 12:23 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

My point was simply that those who have the duty to carry weapons and protect us civilians, and are required to practice should attempt to shoot at the legs, which a lot of the time is a big target as well. If you are being shot AT, that may be a different story. Ex-Army guys know better than me, ex-Navy.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:42 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

My point was simply that those who have the duty to carry weapons and protect us civilians, and are required to practice should attempt to shoot at the legs, which a lot of the time is a big target as well. If you are being shot AT, that may be a different story. Ex-Army guys know better than me, ex-Navy.
All due respect, this is simply not realistic. As others have stated, if a situation degrades to the point where a gun is drawn and a threat needs to be stopped, the prudent thing for everybody's safety is to stop the threat. That means a center mass shot that can be made quickly and safely where bystanders are concerned. Shoot the legs? Hell, you might as well take it up a notch and ask the police to simply shoot the knife or gun out of the aggressor's hand!

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 Corvette Stolen

Old 03-05-2017, 02:16 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Just curious. Have you ever lived in CA?

Here's a map of conceal carry counties in California. I live in a green one, and I don't go anywhere without it (and I'm not talking about the map).

Gotta love the green Randy!

Great map! I'll have to save this one!

Pat
Old 03-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Solid327
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Yes, Jim's right!

About eight months after I obtained my car back, less the hardtop, I continued my search on Craigslist.

Low and behold......there it was, in Salinas.

I actually called the guy and spoke with him for quite some time. I obtained information that all but confirmed it was definitely my hardtop. I had literally just finished restoring it, so I knew several details about the top. And....the guy confirmed my specific items about the top.

Of course his Uncle had just purchased a '61 and didn't want the hardtop. That was the reason for selling it.

Anyway, I contacted the P.D. three times. Finally, after getting nowhere, the last individual I spoke with (Woman dispatcher) stated; Well....it's not really your hardtop any more anyway.

I guess I probably stuttered in disbelief as she continued to say; Didn't you receive payment from the insurance company? It's actually now their top, as you accepted payment.

I couldn't frigging believe it!

I called my Brother who was working in another Bay Area Law Agency.

I told him I was going to go down and get my hardtop!

He told me if I did that, you know what's going to happen, and you're going to be the one that gets arrested.

Unfortunately, he's right, and I do realize that car theft must be pretty low on the scale of importance for P.D.

So in the end....I guess crime pays here in the State of California!

Pat
Did you think about "buying" the top "back"? The insurance paid you for it so you wouldn't have been out of pocket I assume. Once in hand and if original ownership could definitely be established, you might be able to convince the local prosecutor to file charges. If not, then possibly a civil action could be brought against the seller where t he burden of proof is less. I'd have a tough time letting that one go.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:31 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Solid327
Did you think about "buying" the top "back"? The insurance paid you for it so you wouldn't have been out of pocket I assume. Once in hand and if original ownership could definitely be established, you might be able to convince the local prosecutor to file charges. If not, then possibly a civil action could be brought against the seller where t he burden of proof is less. I'd have a tough time letting that one go.

By the time I found the top on Craig's list, several months had already passed.

Fortunately, soon after we got our car back, a friend had come across one and purchased it. He offered it to me for the same price he paid for it, which was very nice!

So I had already replaced the top. Still though.......very tough not to go take it back!!

Pat

Quick Reply: 1960 Corvette Stolen