C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS to add " appearance judging "

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:49 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Mike,
....but I don't think "concours" is the right terminology for this class of automobile. Call a spade a spade..."modified class" or something similar.

Concours... think Pebble Beach... Amelia Island...

Bill
Old 02-15-2017, 11:55 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
Lets not forget about Bubba!
thank you...

Finally a place for me....

Bill
Old 02-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I'm not sure of the details of this either, but I don't think they are putting away the periscopes. Supposedly they are not getting rid of anything, just adding categories so the restomodders and modified cars can also claim some NCRS awards.

65hihp states this isn't movement away from their primary mission, but it has to be seen that way at least a little right? I guess I should look more closely at what they are actually adding before making assumptions. I did see the cars at Kissimmee, but the plan is to further expand this I think.

Probably time for NCRS to consider a name change.
No need, just change the definition of "restored". Actually, its a restorers society, so you don't even need to go that far, just include restomod / custom builders in the "restorers" tent.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:44 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,694 Posts

They were in the tent at Lakeland. More will be in the tent at upcoming Regionals.
Come on out and have a look.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:11 AM
IHBD
Instructor

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,305 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've been told that the Concourse Judging sheets are basically Flight sheets with the Originality side eliminated. The emphasis is on Condition and Operations. Cleanliness has never been a huge deal in NCRS. Each of the 4 areas has 20 points assigned to "Cleanliness"; 80 out of 4500 points. So there is Cleanliness in the new class, but it is probably low-impact like it is in Flight Judging.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:14 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I think this is good news, and a good move by the NCRS... and one that I have been stating on their forum... oh, excuse me technical discussion area, for some time (and was generally shouted down for)

The NCRS is doing a good thing, by expanding at least the appearance of their tent to include more Vette enthusiast.... one day, it might be able to include ALL Vette enthusiast. Their core business can still be the preservation of factory like cars, but as the population ages, the new blood has to come from somewhere.

I know there are folks that haven't thought twice about the NCRS because their perception has been (rightly or wrongly) that they wouldn't be welcome with the kind of car that they have.

I had argued that they should welcome ALL kinds of Vettes, as once in the tent, folks might like the idea of taking their car the full restoration route...

Or not, but the benni is that you have more people in the tent, and more folks to share the cost of the beer kegs.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Nothing like bunch of non members throwing in their useless opinions.....Best way to help, is to join in the fun.
The following users liked this post:
Brian VH McHale (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

My NCRS number is 26099... you talking to me ?

Last edited by Revfan; 02-16-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I'm 48322, Ten year member.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-18-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:58 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Here is a small excerpt from the rules of Concours 'd Elegance judging such as that at Pebble Beach and Amelia Island, etc:

" Each car must be correctly restored without blemishes, dents or marks on any part of the vehicle."

So the new Concours Division, or Class at NCRS brings Corvette restoration into the same category of the Big Boys..................i.e.: very expensive and truly collectable automobiles.The new class/division eliminates the ridiculous label "over restored" which allows Corvette owners to show their cars which have been restored to a very high level. So say goodby to such idiotic practices as oversprayed parts, partially painted parts, poor chrome finish, unpainted lower body panels, poor fit and finish, etc, etc.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 02-16-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Frankie the Fink (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by Revfan
My NCRS number is 26099... you talking to me ?

]

Not you Revy!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:02 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
Nothing like bunch of non members throwing in their useless opinions.....Best way to help, is to join in the fun.
THAT is the kind of comment that will undermine attracting new members and good feedback to help the organization determine what the "new blood" would like to see this new venue evolve to.

I was a member of NCRS back in about 1977 and dropped out shortly after because I was not into sitting around talking about original part numbers day and night. I understood the need for it to create a judging manual but it just wasn't MY thing. I have owned some type of Corvette continually since 1969 and often more than one at a time. I see things from both sides and hope that we can all get along without comments like that.
USMC 0802 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Its worth the $40 to join to me for the NCRS Restorer magazine and Driveline - I've found some ultra-rare 63 parts via the Driveline!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:14 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

It is NCRS people like you that make some feel the way they do about the club. I think it's great that NCRS want's to broaden there base to include ALL Corvettes & owners.
PS my NCRS # is 7808
USMC 0802 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

The comment was made to "curb" those that don't belong to the CLUB, that continually open the mouths negatively towards the NCRS!

I'm still trying to decide if the new judging class is beneficial or a detrimate to the clubs original mission. The club is made up of a group of obsessive analytical men and women, me included! There are plenty more of these types out there to fill the roles....

I'm still a working smuck and have to leave, but I will return to this thread.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:50 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The comment was made to "curb" those that don't belong to the CLUB, that continually open the mouths negatively towards the NCRS!

I'm still trying to decide if the new judging class is beneficial or a detrimate to the clubs original mission. The club is made up of a group of obsessive analytical men and women, me included! There are plenty more of these types out there to fill the roles....

I'm still a working smuck and have to leave, but I will return to this thread.

Of course it is detrimental to the original mission which is as the name implies a restorer's society. NCRS has done a wonderful job with that.

However, as stated there are only so many people today that can afford or want to re-condition a car to the standards of NCRS as it stood in the past. If the club wants to survive they will have to broaden their scope with some new classes to attract new members. There is no reason why it can't encompass both. It will not end the original mission and in fact as others have said here it may even find NEW members that decide they want to do a car to the standards of the original mission.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Why so much worrying about restomods. If they are driven like mine has been for the last 5 1/2 years, they will flunk the inspection criteria used at Lakeland.

For me it's not how I fare in a judged competition, as I'm not one that will even spend the time to detail car for judging.

Would I enter my car anyway? The answer is yes. For me it's about meeting and talking with people about cars.

That's the enjoyment of the Hobby I have after my real enjoyment which is being involved in the Design/Building/Modifying of a car, as Subtle as I can make Outrageous exterior body modification using design features from other Generations of Corvettes look on a 2nd gen.

This class of Judging lets me go into the Lion's Den, of Corvette purist to get their reactions, Good or Bad body modification wise to a C2's body which is considered one of the Top 10 Automobile Body Designs in the world.

Some of you have to realize there are only so many C2's left out there that can be restored to a "Like Delivered from the Factory Condition". These cars in order to maintain there Value can not be driven, an are rarely driven or shown to the General Public.

Non original C2's can be brought to a reasonable sate of originality that are derivable that can be driven so younger generations can see them and learn to appreciate their classic design.

The NCRS might want to think about a Driver Class, Restomod Class that maintains a stock body, and a Modified Body Class where the originality of the body is not retain that is not just Restomods but all modified body C2's from over the years. Maybe a class for restored Drag cars and Track cars so their owners can show them off too, as they are a huge part of what made Corvettes popular.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 02-17-2017 at 08:43 PM.
6T5RUSH (02-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS to add " appearance judging "

Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Of course it is detrimental to the original mission which is as the name implies a restorer's society. NCRS has done a wonderful job with that.

However, as stated there are only so many people today that can afford or want to re-condition a car to the standards of NCRS as it stood in the past. If the club wants to survive they will have to broaden their scope with some new classes to attract new members. There is no reason why it can't encompass both. It will not end the original mission and in fact as others have said here it may even find NEW members that decide they want to do a car to the standards of the original mission.
Thank you 68hemi, for engaging with such a reasonable and rational reply. For those of you that feel that I may be lacking in genius, I'll attempt to give an intelligent answer. (Perhaps, just to be the devil's advocate.)
It may be argued that this may diminish the value of previous Top Flight Awards. I pose this question, in 20, 30, or more years from now, will a manual or an award be needed to teach future generations how to restore a car to it's "resto mod" condition or build?

It might also be said that these modders are simply in the wrong club? I think there are many, that have owned cars that they returned to an original state and others that have done the exact opposite. Each example, these folks have tired, and now search for more distractions from the trials and tribulations of life. This may fill the gap....

The NCRS is a great club, and it's original mission IMO should remain the same. If it dies, so be it. History will read that the club stood higher than most and was able to document, and retain the image it has had since it's conception.

I could never see Rolls Royce building an 35k economy car.....

Regards.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:05 AM
igaston
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 & C6 is the answer

I'm in the NCRS. I started on the "young" side at age 34. I'm not sure I agree with the new concourse judging. It's my belief that the cheaper corvettes that are NCRS "legal"are simply not that attractive. The C4s (84-96) just aren't that pretty. Now that the C5's are legal and eventually C6's, I think you'll see renewed interest from younger people again, without need to change the fundamental mission of the NCRS. 97-99 C5 is legal so market the hell out of that.

Last edited by igaston; 02-18-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:41 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

It's about the money. More cars more NCRS money. 200$ to enter, crazy.

Quick Reply: NCRS to add " appearance judging "