C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2017

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:58 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry P
Has anybody else noticed way less commercial time?
I've been watching live and it's tolerable.
Larry
One other reason why I enjoy watching the BJ much more than the Mecum auctions on TV because every car sells at no reserve. It seems like every other car that rolls across the block at Mecum ends as "the Bid goes on".
Old 01-24-2017, 02:19 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AkrHack
One other reason why I enjoy watching the BJ much more than the Mecum auctions on TV because every car sells at no reserve. It seems like every other car that rolls across the block at Mecum ends as "the Bid goes on".
They now offer reserves on cars starting at 100K, both party's must agree that the car is truly worth the price, sales commission goes to 12% from the normal 10%.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Al T
I can't believe this sold for $19k...... $20.9k with buyers fee. I would have been all over it like a fat kid on a Smartie.
That was a real nice car for the money
Old 01-24-2017, 03:53 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by OldKarz
They now offer reserves on cars starting at 100K, both party's must agree that the car is truly worth the price, sales commission goes to 12% from the normal 10%.
To me i would rather pay the extra 2 percent on a high dollar car.Better to be safe then crying in you BEER
Old 01-24-2017, 05:34 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,019 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by OldKarz
I have not bought a car at BJ or Mecum or any other collector car auction for that matter.

From what I understand the list of cars that are consigned to these auctions is available well in advance of the actual auction dates.

Now knowing this wouldnt it make sense to get that list, see if a car you desire to buy is on it and if so hire a pro or do your own evaluation and survey of the car well in advance of the auction?

This whole idea of seeing an expensive car for the first time, taking some strangers word that it is this that or the other and then bidding on it and hoping for the best makes no sense to me.

Heck, I have been leasing new cars for awhile now but before that started when I would buy a brand new car I test drove the hell out of it and then wanted to see it on a lift.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:50 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by phil2302
I have not bought a car at BJ or Mecum or any other collector car auction for that matter.

From what I understand the list of cars that are consigned to these auctions is available well in advance of the actual auction dates.

Now knowing this wouldnt it make sense to get that list, see if a car you desire to buy is on it and if so hire a pro or do your own evaluation and survey of the car well in advance of the auction?

This whole idea of seeing an expensive car for the first time, taking some strangers word that it is this that or the other and then bidding on it and hoping for the best makes no sense to me.

Heck, I have been leasing new cars for awhile now but before that started when I would buy a brand new car I test drove the hell out of it and then wanted to see it on a lift.
Mecum as well as BJ send out a large bound magazine far in advance of all auctions showing many of the top cars, with descriptions, pictures ect. I have many times gone with certain cars on my radar, talked with owners, looked the car over, the only thing you really can not do is drive it. The only issue is the owners that consign their cars late in the process, many times miss this opportunity for the advance advertising, thus buyers show up not knowing a certain car is even going to be there.
The following users liked this post:
phil2302 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 02:47 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by phil2302

It's a new car. what the hell are you looking for under a new car ? A rusty bird cage what the hell that means. Some of you people kill me.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:33 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,019 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
It's a new car. what the hell are you looking for under a new car ? A rusty bird cage what the hell that means. Some of you people kill me.
You people.....lol
Old 01-25-2017, 04:40 PM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
I appreciate the engineering/qualty/workmanship of cars....some people are more enamored with a leather interior...I personally would Definitely want to inspect the underside of a new car prior to purchase....Seems I qualify in your usage of the term..."you people"...Mark
Old 01-25-2017, 08:42 PM
jbalch
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
This seems to be more and more the current trend. I watched a beautiful '41 Cad convertible sell for 55k (these cars have been at 70-100k for the past 15-20 years) and a so-what Fiberglass ****** (the announcers mis-pronounce it as WILLIS) go for 75k.....a full custom, gorgeous '61 Olds 88 go for 24k that must have cost 120k to build, and meanwhile, some dufus shelled out 92k for a '70 Chevy crew cab pickup, stock. Crazy combo, money and alcohol...........
"Willis" is the correct pronunciation.....
The following users liked this post:
rsinor (01-26-2017)

Quick Reply: Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2017