C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hood Adheasive Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:28 PM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hood Adheasive Question

Greetings to all. It was such a beautiful day in Texas, I uncovered the 65 coupe and drove it for about an hour, running a few errands. I noticed the hood of my car has developed a little bit of a vibration. After looking at the metal framework that supports and strengthens the underside of the hood , I noticed mine has come loose and obviously needs to be re-attached. What is the very best way to do this??? I know I can reinforce the existing bond with something new and as long as it is neat can be touched up with the appropriate paint. I'm just wondering if there is a preferred bonding agent that is better than something off the shelf. The vibration if left unchecked could result in paint cracks in my hood which I really want to avoid.
Thanks for any advice in this area. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:32 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 954 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by SherpaPilot
Greetings to all. It was such a beautiful day in Texas, I uncovered the 65 coupe and drove it for about an hour, running a few errands. I noticed the hood of my car has developed a little bit of a vibration. After looking at the metal framework that supports and strengthens the underside of the hood , I noticed mine has come loose and obviously needs to be re-attached. What is the very best way to do this??? I know I can reinforce the existing bond with something new and as long as it is neat can be touched up with the appropriate paint. I'm just wondering if there is a preferred bonding agent that is better than something off the shelf. The vibration if left unchecked could result in paint cracks in my hood which I really want to avoid.
Thanks for any advice in this area. It is greatly appreciated.
Sherp,
Take a picture of the area that you are referring to...especially the metal framework...
Old 01-02-2017, 10:00 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,336 Posts

The only metal in the hood are the 5 riveted in nut plates, that the hinges, latches and hood support bolt to. There is no "metal framework".

If you're referring to the "X" reinforcement on the underside of the hood, it is fiberglass, just like the skin. GM never "bonded" the reinforcement to the underside of the hood skin. I forget exactly what GM used, but it wasn't a bonding agent or glue. I believe it was some kind of Dum Dum or tar type material, that secured the reinforcement to the skin, and yet still allowed the two pieces to flex a little, and move.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Nope, use the black roofing caulk/adhesive from Home Depot.

Recommended by John Z.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:01 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The only metal in the hood are the 5 riveted in nut plates, that the hinges, latches and hood support bolt to. There is no "metal framework".

If you're referring to the "X" reinforcement on the underside of the hood, it is fiberglass, just like the skin. GM never "bonded" the reinforcement to the underside of the hood skin. I forget exactly what GM used, but it wasn't a bonding agent or glue. I believe it was some kind of Dum Dum or tar type material, that secured the reinforcement to the skin, and yet still allowed the two pieces to flex a little, and move.
Correct. Its only bonded to the surface panel around the outside periphery of the underside reinforcement. The factory used a panel deadener called "gumdrops" under the inside tabs of the reinforcement. If you bond these inner tabs ... it will cause "bond burn-in" and you will (eventually) see the spots on the outside surface where you bonded it. This is caused by the heat from the exothermic reaction during the bond adhesive curing process. Don't risk it ... use something flexible and non-hardening like 3M black strip caulk or black roofing caulk. Bill
Old 01-03-2017, 12:38 AM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
Nope, use the black roofing caulk/adhesive from Home Depot.

Recommended by John Z.
As I recall this is what JohnZ recommended "DAP Premium Roof & Flashing Sealant 50 YR" and this is what I have used, works great

Name:  DAP.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  76.8 KB
Old 01-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Velox
As I recall this is what JohnZ recommended "DAP Premium Roof & Flashing Sealant 50 YR" and this is what I have used, works great

Attachment 48050494
Yep, that's the stuff.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:11 PM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I appreciate the advice. I'll pick up the DAP stuff in the morning. This will be an easy repair. My mistake on the underside bracing. Guess I just assumed it was not fiberglass.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Hey, I appreciate the advice. I'll pick up the DAP stuff in the morning. This will be an easy repair. My mistake on the underside bracing. Guess I just assumed it was not fiberglass.
It's glass but that's OK.

The DAP will stay a little flexible and that's a good thing. The hood skin does not have to be bonded tightly to the bracing.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Hi, only put the caulk where the tabs are, not on all of the surfaces !

Jack

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Adheasive Question

Quick Reply: Hood Adheasive Question