C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

frozen clutch on a 62 sitting 40 years

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:06 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
In my high-end, gated community I'm the "...crazy old-car guy".
Better that than the "...crazy-old car guy"
Old 12-27-2016, 03:10 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

jack up the rear end, start the engine and rev it up a little and with the clutch pushed in have someone drop the jack. make sure you have a clear run out area in front of you in case it does not break loose
Old 12-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,472 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Wade, as you see, the tips and tricks here on the CF are hard too beat. Glad you got it done. Now, put some miles on that beautiful '62. Dennis
Old 12-27-2016, 06:53 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey
First off... thanks for the response to my question. I have corrected my clutch issue using information gained right here on this thread. I put the car up on jack stands and got busy. After removing the inspection cover. I had my son depress the clutch while I watched from below. The clutch side of the disc separated as normal. However, the flywheel side of the disc didn't even budge a little. The clutch was a 3-finger type. I cut a small piece of wood to secure the clutch linkage in the disengaged or pedal down position. I got a nice little 3" wide putty knife, held it tight against the flywheel, and with a few light to medium love taps the blade went in very nicely. I then rotated the flywheel to the remaining 2 places on the clutch housing and repeated the putty knife tap with no big deal. closed it all up, then started it up, and it worked like brand new... Problem solved... thank you very much

Wade

Quick Reply: frozen clutch on a 62 sitting 40 years