C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need some help with title search

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Need some help with title search

Hi guys,

I requested a shipping report at the NCRS and I received it some days ago.
My car: 1966 coupe
My dealer code: Dealer 144 zone 22.
this is VV Cooke Chevrolet in louisville Kentucky.
production date: 12/23/1965
My Vin: 194376 S 109292

I already did a search on the forum and I have found out that the dealer closed in the 80's. Other forum members already have had contact with the last owner of VV Cooke and they were told all the information on old sales was destroyed. So as far as the dealership goes I strike a dead end here.

What I have read is that you can contact the DMV of a particular state and request a historic title search. since I'm from the Netherlands, what is the proper way to contact them?
Are their any standard forms for these situations?

Any advice will be appreciated
Old 12-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,051 Likes on 4,849 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You might had a chance from the DMV 20 years ago. But there are a lot of privacy laws in effect to allow anyone to get any info. Unless you had a court order for a criminal case which I know you don't.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
You might had a chance from the DMV 20 years ago. But there are a lot of privacy laws in effect to allow anyone to get any info. Unless you had a court order for a criminal case which I know you don't.
first encounter with the DMV already disappointed
Old 12-11-2016, 02:04 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,396 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
first encounter with the DMV already disappointed
Nowhere is correct, not to mention that every state has their own little spin on things, so the idea of anything being "standard" is completely unreasonable. All you can do is look up that state's site and search for instructions and forms, or make phone calls if the site is not helpful, and then plan on being denied at the end.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Nowhere is correct, not to mention that every state has their own little spin on things, so the idea of anything being "standard" is completely unreasonable. All you can do is look up that state's site and search for instructions and forms, or make phone calls if the site is not helpful, and then plan on being denied at the end.
I will give it a shot. but if this doesn't lead anywhere which is pretty plausible, is there any other way to find some history?
Or is it better to make history by drivng a C2 through the dutch cities.

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 12-11-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:22 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I will give it a shot. but if this doesn't lead anywhere which is pretty plausible, is there any other way to find some history?
unless you have names of any past owners to try and track down owners I wouldn't worry about it
Old 12-11-2016, 02:26 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,396 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Semi-continuous Internet searches for the VIN or the VIN derivative can lead to some success. That's how I found the original purchaser of my car 50+ years later. Equal parts determination and blind luck.

You can also try to search for information found on any old paper on the car you might have like old insurance cards, registration cards, etc and back into number or name searches from there.

Resist suggestions to contact law enforcement people for assistance. This threatens careers and puts people in unfair positions.

I used to teach a How To Buy class at Bloomington Gold and provided DMV contact listings for all 50 states. This was very effective in tracing car title histories back then, but is almost completely useless today because of privacy laws and liability concerns. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Twan Sloot (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 02:37 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

The Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994 (also referred to as the "DPPA"), Title XXX of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, is a United States federal statute governing the privacy and disclosure of personal information gathered by state Departments of Motor Vehicles.

Prior to this law, title searches were doable, and varied from state to state.

The Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994 came about because of the number of driver's who were identified by their vehicle information, and were seen entering / leaving, or in proximity to abortion clinics in the US. These drivers were subsequently subjected to harassment / embarrassment, and attacks by anti-abortion people.

These days, no state DMV employee in their right mind would give out any information.

Back in 1976, I saw a 1962 Corvette driving in Orlando with a for sale sign in the window. I could not get the phone number but I got the tag number. I called the country vehicle registration, told them about it, and they read the name and address of the owner to me over the phone.

No way that would happen today.
Twan Sloot (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Semi-continuous Internet searches for the VIN or the VIN derivative can lead to some success. That's how I found the original purchaser of my car 50+ years later. Equal parts determination and blind luck.

You can also try to search for information found on any old paper on the car you might have like old insurance cards, registration cards, etc and back into number or name searches from there.

Resist suggestions to contact law enforcement people for assistance. This threatens careers and puts people in unfair positions.

I used to teach a How To Buy class at Bloomington Gold and provided DMV contact listings for all 50 states. This was very effective in tracing car title histories back then, but is almost completely useless today because of privacy laws and liability concerns. Good luck.
Thanks, I will try some things and see how far I will come
Old 12-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

You can always try Bill Gould at Auto Ancestry (do a web search for him)...
But even he may come up dry...because of all the above reason...
Twan Sloot (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You can always try Bill Gould at Auto Ancestry (do a web search for him)...
But even he may come up dry...because of all the above reason...
interesting website he has, but 250 to 300 dollars pretty steep without getting any gurantee but on the other hand if he finds the former owners it would be a good deal
Old 12-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

interesting website he has, but 250 to 300 dollars pretty steep without getting any gurantee but on the other hand if he finds the former owners it would be a good deal
His price went up it seems but he is a heckuva nice guy...a phone call or email inquiry and I'll bet he'll indicate if he can help you or not without a bill...he did for me...then you can go from there..

EDIT: Errr - make that an email, I forgot where you're located!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-11-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Thanks Frankie
Old 12-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks Frankie
but don't get your hopes up. I tried with four different cars and he came up empty handed all four times
Old 12-12-2016, 04:49 AM
carcruse
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Wouldn't Mershon's give you any info on where they got it from? Work backwards from there.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carcruse
Wouldn't Mershon's give you any info on where they got it from? Work backwards from there.
well I asked them when buying the car but didn't got an helpful answer then, didn't think much about it, but maybe if I would mail them today and stress it out a little more I would get some info.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I doubt you'll get help from the seller's corner either but worth a try....
When I registered my '61 in Florida (I bought it in South Carolina) I was surprised to find from the DMV clerk it had been registered in Florida, in another county, two decades earlier. She wouldn't let me see the computer screen and when I asked for more info she went to her dim-witted, mid-level bureaucratic boss who asked her why I would want to know that and gave me a look like I was a convicted felon so I dropped it; never got the info...

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help with title search

Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 643 Likes on 428 Posts

What I did with my car was I sent a letter to the towns historical Society. A year latter the person in charge sent me the name and address of the dealers son who took over in the 60's. Sent the retired owner a letter about the car. He sent me the last metal dealer frames he had and news paper article from the 60's about the family dealership.
All this took about 3yrs. so take ur time.
My dealer was Economy Chevrolet Ca. No longer in business.
Good luck.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by morly1963
What I did with my car was I sent a letter to the towns historical Society. A year latter the person in charge sent me the name and address of the dealers son who took over in the 60's. Sent the retired owner a letter about the car. He sent me the last metal dealer frames he had and news paper article from the 60's about the family dealership.
All this took about 3yrs. so take ur time.
My dealer was Economy Chevrolet Ca. No longer in business.
Good luck.

Nice! As I've posted several times my old dealer (still in biz) sent me their last '60s-era metal emblem.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:21 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 643 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Nice! As I've posted several times my old dealer (still in biz) sent me their last '60s-era metal emblem.
Found a guy with an original keychain from the 60;s we are working on a price now.

Quick Reply: Need some help with title search