C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Removing front seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 06:39 PM
cmtbet
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing front seat

I want to remove a seat from my 1962 to get it repaired. I have not removed a seat before and am looking for helpful advice. I heard there are four bolts but not sure where they are. Did a little looking around and then came here. Thanks !
Old 10-23-2016, 07:03 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cmtbet
I want to remove a seat from my 1962 to get it repaired. I have not removed a seat before and am looking for helpful advice. I heard there are four bolts but not sure where they are. Did a little looking around and then came here. Thanks !
Push the seat all the way back. You will see the two bolts in the front to remove one on each side. Then pull the seat all the way forward and you will see the bolts in the back. If I remember correctly there are two on each side. Use a universal socket to remove them. Your Done..
The following users liked this post:
cmtbet (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by prestige6
Push the seat all the way back. You will see the two bolts in the front to remove one on each side. Then pull the seat all the way forward and you will see the bolts in the back.
Actually it's even simpler than that. In a C1 there are no bolts that need to be removed from the back of the seat. Remove the front bolts and just slide the seat forward then lift out. There are two prongs at the rear of the seat tracks that go under two metal straps on the floor to secure the rear of the seat - the seat just slips into those at the rear, no bolts to take out for seat removal.
cmtbet (10-23-2016)
Old 02-07-2024, 03:29 PM
1959MyFirstVette
4th Gear

How do you remove the seat backs so that the gas tank can be removed?
Old 02-07-2024, 04:01 PM
jforb
Pro

Received 529 Likes on 209 Posts

Are you asking about a 59, or a 62 that this thread is about?

Old 02-07-2024, 04:47 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Do you want the cushions out, or the seat track itself? What repairs are you doing?
Old 02-07-2024, 05:14 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

61 and 62 have bolts in the front only. The rear slides under a bracket.
Remove the bolts in front and pull forward to remove the seat.
Also, on 61-2 cars, the seat back cushions are not removable (unlike the earlier C1s)

Fred
Old 02-07-2024, 06:16 PM
jforb
Pro

Received 529 Likes on 209 Posts

The 62 seat backs unbolt from the lower part of the seat...so they're removable, but it takes more effort, and the cushions are not separate from the frame.

But I think the latest question is about a 59, which I know nothing about.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:35 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by 1959MyFirstVette
For future information, you should open your own thread and post the car and information you are looking for instead of tacking on to a thread about another year and possible different issue.
IF you're asking about a 59, pull up on the front of the bottom cushion and then pull it out toward the dash and remove from car. For the seat back cushion, removing the bottom cushion has exposed two metal "hooks" in the spring area that hold the bottom against the back wall, pull the loops down and out from under the hooks and then lift straight up on the cushion to unclip the top slots of the seat back. No tools required unless you have to use a screwdriver to put enough pressure on the back spring brackets to slide it out from under the hooks. Two hooks at the bottom, one on left side, one on right side, obvious after you pull the bottom out. To reattach it, slide the top tabs in the seat back back into place and press down and then push the loops back over the hooks. After the first time and you see how it works, you can remove the bottom and top in about 30 seconds.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65GGvert:
jforb (02-07-2024), silfox (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 07:41 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 460 Posts

If you are in fact working on a '59, the info in the attached PDF shows how the seat cushions are mounted.
Dave Z
Attached Images
Old 02-07-2024, 09:27 PM
1959MyFirstVette
4th Gear

I am talking about a 59, I am replacing the gas tank. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:04 AM
Drummer Boy
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by prestige6
Push the seat all the way back. You will see the two bolts in the front to remove one on each side. Then pull the seat all the way forward and you will see the bolts in the back. If I remember correctly there are two on each side. Use a universal socket to remove them. Your Done..
That's not quite accurate on the '62.
First, open the tonneau for the soft top--

Yes, push the seat all the way back---on the Right side--Use a ratchet with a long extention and a 1/2 socket to remobe the bolt.
On the Left Side IF you raise the seat adjustment lever you can also get that socket onto the bolt but you might have better luck using a 1/2 ratchet box wrench.
Once those TWO bolts are removed grab the seat under the front with your left hand and grab the back with your right hand ----

Pull the seat up with your left hand and slide it forward tilting it backward as you pull.
You may have to jckey the seat around a little to dislodge it from the rear track caps.

The rear end of those tracks slide into fixed caps---there are no bolts at the rear on the '62.

Once the seat is free you get to meneuver it however you can to raise it up and get it out of the car. be VERY CAREFUL as the rear end of those track are in the perfect position to scratch paint in all kinds of placed---DONT BE IN A HURRY!

Re-installing the seat is a bit tricky-
Push the seat track HALF WAY back and as you lower the seat try to aim the rear of the tracks slightly in front of those fixed caps--
The idea is to get those track started into the caps.
Once engaged lower the front of the seat and jockey the seat back and forth and push backwards until you KNOW the rear is engaged---pull the seat back upwards--if it comes up---try and again.
Once engaged-----sit in the seat, raise the lever and push the seat all the way back-

Use a small hammer and punch to "TAP" , --the front of the track, either forward or back, into position over the hole---a #2 Phillips screw driver will fit perfectly through the hole in the seat track and into the hole---
The right side will go easily with the taps---to set the left side you will have to raise the adjuster lever to move the track.
Set the bolts and adjust your seat.
It gets better and easier with practice.
Best
Eddie
jforb (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 10:06 AM
Drummer Boy
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 1959MyFirstVette
On the '62 You can remove the tank without bothering the seats. Dont know about the '59 but it should be the same.
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Removing front seat

Quick Reply: [C1] Removing front seat