C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 Trunk Spear Hole Size

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:14 PM
TPIShark
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 58 Trunk Spear Hole Size

Hi, I tried a search, but didn't find pics or details. The holes on my trunk were filled. I still have the original trunk, as the "tabs" are still on the back where the nuts once resided. Assuming the holes were radiused a bit when they were filled (I just stripped the paint down to the 'glass) wanted to get a measurement on the factory hole size before I go drilling. I'm assuming there was a little play on them ?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:23 PM
jmschmit
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 58 trunk chrome.

Originally Posted by TPIShark
Hi, I tried a search, but didn't find pics or details. The holes on my trunk were filled. I still have the original trunk, as the "tabs" are still on the back where the nuts once resided. Assuming the holes were radiused a bit when they were filled (I just stripped the paint down to the 'glass) wanted to get a measurement on the factory hole size before I go drilling. I'm assuming there was a little play on them ?

Thanks!
Do you have the trunk spears now? The reason i ask is because they are very costly and takes time to get them.I drilled out my holes and looked for 27 years before I could find them. Might be easier now, mine was 16 years ago. Good luck BILL
Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 PM
TPIShark
Pro

Originally Posted by jmschmit
Do you have the trunk spears now? The reason i ask is because they are very costly and takes time to get them.I drilled out my holes and looked for 27 years before I could find them. Might be easier now, mine was 16 years ago. Good luck BILL
Hey Bill, thanks for the quick reply. Yep, I know how it goes. I located a repro brass set a while back. Has holes that I can install studs to. I mean, I can just make them fit, but I wanted to not drill them oversize if I can help it.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:16 PM
jmschmit
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 58 trunk spears

Originally Posted by TPIShark
Hey Bill, thanks for the quick reply. Yep, I know how it goes. I located a repro brass set a while back. Has holes that I can install studs to. I mean, I can just make them fit, but I wanted to not drill them oversize if I can help it.
I can't remember the size of the holes but a couple were kind of tight so I used a rat tail file to open them up a little. Some people complain that the trunk lid doesn't stay up very good. Don't put your head in until it stops moving. Most of the time my wife just holds the lid or I put an umbrella under it.Hope this helps.BILL
Old 10-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by jmschmit
I can't remember the size of the holes but a couple were kind of tight so I used a rat tail file to open them up a little. Some people complain that the trunk lid doesn't stay up very good. Don't put your head in until it stops moving. Most of the time my wife just holds the lid or I put an umbrella under it.Hope this helps.BILL
Brings back memories.... My first Corvette was a '58 with solid brass trunk irons (made by "Buzz") and the lid would not stay up.

Fixed it by switching to stiffer springs taken from a Stanley gate closer.
IIRC, they needed shortening but worked fine after dialing them in (may have added some short spacers...).
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 PM
TPIShark
Pro

Thanks guys. I have a few leads on stiffer springs. Two things I learned from Carlisle this year - some of the high dollar 58's did not have an original trunk, and definitely not original spears. ;-) I will have a trunk that stays up.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 Trunk Spear Hole Size

Quick Reply: 58 Trunk Spear Hole Size