C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

fitech efi on my 64

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 08:10 PM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default fitech efi on my 64

I got to put in some seat time in my 64 roadster this week. I like the fitech efi. it was a very good addition to the performance enhancements in my car. from what I am going thru with the learning of the efi, I think an auto trans car will be easier to fine tune than one that is a manual. so far, smooth starts and aggressive performance out of my 421 sbc. for not much more than a premium carb, I think they are a good investment. just make sure you have a good fuel system setup. either in tank or out.... also thanks to wayne (65 vert) for some coaching and encouragement.
phil

Popular Reply

10-04-2016, 12:06 AM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

OK, in a nutshell this is what it cost me: FiTech 30002 600 hp - $995.00; Tank's Inc gas tank w/260 l/hr pump and 3-wire sending unit - $600.00; 4 extra fittings and 20 ft of gas line and a C5 Filter/Reg - $150.00. I did have to send back the FCC for a refund which I received in full - $395.00 and put towards the gas tank.

Now that I've made the swap I'm not going back. I liked my carb(s) set-up but I like this better. Remember there's only so much stock inventory on my car so moving to fuel injection is the right step for me. Yea it's not multi-port and there are no fuel rails but it works better than my carb and is returnless also, thanks to the C5 filter/reg set-up. I'm not trying to talk anyone into switching, I'm just sayin', for me it's better. How? Better starts - all the time; drive away almost immediately with no more than 30 seconds warm-up time; better gas mileage with better torque in the low and mid-range. As well, good response at high RPM, same as my carb. My last QFT carb cost me about $800.00.
After the EFI learning curve I have got everything adjusted quite well now and am more than enjoying myself driving everywhere. I even like the sound better out of the pipes as it's a more mellow tone than with the carb.

Returnless - w/100 psi gauge on a single fuel line.

Returnless - Fuel line almost looks stock. Note the M.E.Wagner PCV valve dual flow - works awesome

After dyno tuning earlier this spring it was suggested to step up the size of the sidepipes to 3" internal. Classic Chambered Exhaust should be here this week with a custom 3'' internal diameter and a 24" chambered section and a 16" resonator section - just to tone it down a bit.
Hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 10-02-2016, 11:17 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Good to here things with the EFI are starting to work themselves out. Yea an auto trans may be easier to tune.
The FiTech will keep learning for a while but as long as your adjusting parameters and different settings, learning will take a while longer. But as you close in on the sweet spot, especially the AFR's, the better it runs and the learning lessens. Just remember to save your good setting in the Read Cal. Files.
Keep learning and don't be leery about playing with the settings until you feel it's right.
Still a lot of information being exchanged on the Chevelle Tech EFI site.

I too have my ride dialed in real nice now. I've got the deceleration pops tuned out of the FiTech. It starts all the time and drives away without warm-up. Today a new freeway opened up near my place and took the wife for a nice drive on fresh blacktop. I don't get to get out of 4th gear to often in the city but today 5th gear was nice. Maybe over did the speed a little but it's running 'sooo goood' and the gas mileage is up a good bit since carburation . Might have to lean it out just a little more. There's lots of power especially down low and in the midrange and pulls hard up top. It's too bad it took me so long to get a good tune in it. Wanted to get it out to the road course a couple of times this summer but it never happened because of the tuning issue.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 10-03-2016, 06:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I would take issue with the, "...not much more than a premium carb" line though. If you are converting from a stock carbureated engine and want the FULL advantage of most (all?) of these bolt on systems then you have to plumb return fuel lines, install electric fuel pumps, modify things so that the 'brain' controls the spark map, install sensors.

When I priced these systems several years back it looked like several thousand dollars minimum to play when all was said and done.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-03-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:16 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

about $5k in mine....
Bill
Old 10-03-2016, 07:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

On my '67 Chevelle there would have been the added expense of another fuel tank or heavily modifying an existing tank to preclude cavitation.

Much of the advertising for these conversions is deceptive and leads you to believe you'll get all the benefits of a full-blown, trouble-free EFI system for a nominal cost.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
On my '67 Chevelle there would have been the added expense of another fuel tank or heavily modifying an existing tank to preclude cavitation.

Much of the advertising for these conversions is deceptive and leads you to believe you'll get all the benefits of a full-blown, trouble-free EFI system for a nominal cost.
Yup...I sent one back on account of all the extra work and expense it would have taken to do an install that I would have been satisfied with.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:31 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

I don't take issue with anyone trying to modernize the cars engine and I know modern fuel injection is very nice.

But.. in my line of thinking for the $$$ why not try to tune the carburetor, you may be surprised how good you can get one to work and learn a bunch too.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:26 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The carb in mine works fine. Car starts and runs fine...and if the carb gives up I can get another for $500 or less.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:06 AM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

OK, in a nutshell this is what it cost me: FiTech 30002 600 hp - $995.00; Tank's Inc gas tank w/260 l/hr pump and 3-wire sending unit - $600.00; 4 extra fittings and 20 ft of gas line and a C5 Filter/Reg - $150.00. I did have to send back the FCC for a refund which I received in full - $395.00 and put towards the gas tank.

Now that I've made the swap I'm not going back. I liked my carb(s) set-up but I like this better. Remember there's only so much stock inventory on my car so moving to fuel injection is the right step for me. Yea it's not multi-port and there are no fuel rails but it works better than my carb and is returnless also, thanks to the C5 filter/reg set-up. I'm not trying to talk anyone into switching, I'm just sayin', for me it's better. How? Better starts - all the time; drive away almost immediately with no more than 30 seconds warm-up time; better gas mileage with better torque in the low and mid-range. As well, good response at high RPM, same as my carb. My last QFT carb cost me about $800.00.
After the EFI learning curve I have got everything adjusted quite well now and am more than enjoying myself driving everywhere. I even like the sound better out of the pipes as it's a more mellow tone than with the carb.

Returnless - w/100 psi gauge on a single fuel line.

Returnless - Fuel line almost looks stock. Note the M.E.Wagner PCV valve dual flow - works awesome

After dyno tuning earlier this spring it was suggested to step up the size of the sidepipes to 3" internal. Classic Chambered Exhaust should be here this week with a custom 3'' internal diameter and a 24" chambered section and a 16" resonator section - just to tone it down a bit.
Hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes.

65-StingRay
Wayne

Last edited by 65-StingRay; 10-04-2016 at 12:09 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by 65-StingRay:
66Vett (03-09-2021), nfran (06-27-2017), ohiovet (10-04-2016), Stan's Customs (10-04-2016), vettefred (03-08-2021), Zoomin (12-13-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-04-2016, 12:12 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Nice looking engine compartment BTW.
The following users liked this post:
65-StingRay (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 01:26 AM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

I guess that's part of the reason I posted them. Most folks here know what they are looking at so I tried to make it look as stock as I could without giving away the ranch.

Wayne
Old 10-04-2016, 09:13 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

You did a beautiful job, very nice looking.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Its a gorgeous conversion and, if you spend the bucks, it will work... Did you make the EFI 'brain' control the spark, if not, that would be an add'l expense ? If you didn't run a return line I assume you used one of those pulse-modulated electric fuel pumps ?

The only carbs I've spent over $350 for were my 'real deal' 270hp dual quads for the '61... I got a good deal on those but - yeah eye-watering money...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-04-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:56 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Frankie, I have not yet hooked up that feature. It is a part of my FiTech system. Right now it's running as good as it ever has so I have stopped short of hooking it up. At some point I am going to try it and see how well it works.
The system came complete with the pulse-width modulated fuel pump. Add my C5 filter/reg which has a loop system return. My gas is recirculated at the rear of the car so fuel does not return as hot gas to the tank from the TBI. Here's a shot of how it looks:

Looped system for return via C5 filter/reg. Gas never heats up because it doesn't have to move to the throttle body where it warms up before returning to tank.

Connection to stock fuel line:

Here's the problem about being Canadian. If you think it's expensive to spend 300 - 400 dollars on a carb. Try buying the same carb in Canada it's easily almost 1/3 to 1/2 more. Our buying power sucks. So when I purchased the FiTech, which is half the cost of the other players in the game, I was satisfied that I paid what I believe these TBI units should cost. That includes FAST, Edelbrock, QFT, MSD, Holley, etc. These units easily are double or more than the FiTech.

What FiTech has done is driven down the prices of these overpriced systems. Holley already has answered the bell with the Holley Sniper coming in at $995.00. So I expect to see others following in the same way.Time will tell.

65-StingRay
Wayne
66Vett (03-09-2021)
Old 10-04-2016, 04:46 PM
candipogo
Racer

Default fitech total cost

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I would take issue with the, "...not much more than a premium carb" line though. If you are converting from a stock carbureated engine and want the FULL advantage of most (all?) of these bolt on systems then you have to plumb return fuel lines, install electric fuel pumps, modify things so that the 'brain' controls the spark map, install sensors.

When I priced these systems several years back it looked like several thousand dollars minimum to play when all was said and done.

Frankie, I agree that the efi unit is not all the cost. but, I ran a custom built Williams carb which cost $900 plus fuel lines, electric pump, pressure gauge, regulator and misc. I paid 400 for an aeroquip fuel pump for my carb set up.

when I made the changes needed to use the fitech with a return set up, I invested about 1800 for everything. and, I am using all aeroquip pump, filters, and gauge. I used braided stainless lines. it looks professional imho. but, that's me. I was able to do all of the work which helped a bit.

I enjoy your comments on quite a few of the posts in this section.
phil
Old 10-04-2016, 04:51 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I put a tuned port injection system on the 355 in my '60 a few years back. When I traveled from eastern Kansas to the Colorado Rockies with a carburetor on the engine I'd spend half a day with the metering rods, jets and timing to get it to run halfway decent. Those days are now in the rear view mirror.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Basic64
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any pics of the install on the 64 candipogo?? I'm considering the Fitech for my 64 roadster. Just talked to the guys at fitech this weekend at the PRI show in Indianapolis. Guys were nice and product looks good just a little unsure due to some of the issues that some of the guys had installing and tuning.. Will I have better luck with the Holley sniper or would you fellas still Go with the Fitech knowing what you know now?

Get notified of new replies

To fitech efi on my 64

Old 12-11-2016, 10:13 PM
candipogo
Racer

Default fi tech

Originally Posted by Basic64
Any pics of the install on the 64 candipogo?? I'm considering the Fitech for my 64 roadster. Just talked to the guys at fitech this weekend at the PRI show in Indianapolis. Guys were nice and product looks good just a little unsure due to some of the issues that some of the guys had installing and tuning.. Will I have better luck with the Holley sniper or would you fellas still Go with the Fitech knowing what you know now?

I don't have any pics. but, it was as easy as a carb. it just requires more plumbing. which ever system you use, run a return line and a good tank mounted fuel pump if it's in your budget. or, a frame mount set up. I had a high end frame mount set up with filters, pump and fuel shut off. I used the hard line to set up my return line. I do not recommend the sump tank for either system. too many issues.... I think fi tech has improved their tech service. it seems like they released their unit before they had adequate customer support. their handheld is good and well thought out. I am not computer savvy but I did not have much trouble doing set up and making adjustments. my biggest concern was my engine does not make much vacuum. but, my idle after a few tweaks is pretty good in and out of gear. and, the throttle response is great. it pulls hard, no hesitation, and starts quick cold or hot. I would buy again. I think fi tech as a company is improving every day. their sump tank system from the start created problems and bad press. otherwise as good as holley.
regards,phil
Old 12-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Basic64
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by candipogo
I don't have any pics. but, it was as easy as a carb. it just requires more plumbing. which ever system you use, run a return line and a good tank mounted fuel pump if it's in your budget. or, a frame mount set up. I had a high end frame mount set up with filters, pump and fuel shut off. I used the hard line to set up my return line. I do not recommend the sump tank for either system. too many issues.... I think fi tech has improved their tech service. it seems like they released their unit before they had adequate customer support. their handheld is good and well thought out. I am not computer savvy but I did not have much trouble doing set up and making adjustments. my biggest concern was my engine does not make much vacuum. but, my idle after a few tweaks is pretty good in and out of gear. and, the throttle response is great. it pulls hard, no hesitation, and starts quick cold or hot. I would buy again. I think fi tech as a company is improving every day. their sump tank system from the start created problems and bad press. otherwise as good as holley.
regards,phil
I appreciate the info and recommendations!

Jim
Old 12-16-2016, 11:21 AM
1963nova#1
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fitech 600 power adder 30004

I would like to tell everyone my experience with Fitech. First of I ordered the 30004 model with the fuel command center. My order came to $1600 through Summit racing. I ordered the unit in June and received it in October. I was very excited to finally receive the unit. I schedule it to be installed the very next day. They promote this unit to be very easy to install. It was on the car in a little over a hour at the shop which was good at $100 per hour. However now for the problems, the car would not idle. After 4 hours of trouble shooting at the shop rate, Cody the fitech tech said it was a bad ecu right out of the box. I had to pay to have it shipped both ways to fitech to get a new unit. I received the new unit back only to again have leaning issues under load. Under direction from Cody we replaced the plug and plug wires and the MSD 6AL ignition unit, Fixed nothing. He continued to give reasons why it was not the fitech's issue. However I was well over $3600 into a $1600 upgrade. So I ordered a Holley terminator 550-406 model $2400 with a 2bar map censor and installed it in the place of the fitech and it worked perfectly. Now I have a $1600 fitech pile in my trunk and have spent hours on phone getting to know Cody from fitech. I would not recommend this unit to anyone to put on any car.

Summit racing- and I quote from the service rep "we are the Walmart of the parts world, we only sell parts, we don't stand behind them. If you want your money back go to fitech"

Fitech- "We repair or replace" "We stand behind our product but don't pay for anything" "We have Thousands on units on cars, sorry your having issues with ours."

Fitech is not the same as Holley in my eyes- They have a product that works!!!!!!
Basic64 (12-16-2016)

Quick Reply: fitech efi on my 64