C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

8 mm plug wire looms for c2

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:01 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,548 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Default 8 mm plug wire looms for c2

I am chasing an intermittent miss. The 7 mm Packard wires on the 327 / 300 hp are about 8 months old with about 500 miles on them. Second set of new AC plugs.
I have terrible luck with 7 mm plug wires and AC plugs, these wires check good with an ohm meter but given the lack of separation in the wiring trough under the exhaust manifolds on both sides, I am thinking of putting 8 mm plug wires on it.
The problem is, I can't find replacement 8 mm rubber insulators for the stock GM wire supports. I don't want to drill out the holes in them as they appear to be the original and will retain them should the next owner want to return to 7 mm wires.
Does anyone know of a supplier for these 8 mm rubber insulators that will fit in the stock supports?

Last edited by R66; 08-18-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:04 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

I got mine to work it was tight but got everything under the chrome shielding .
The following users liked this post:
R66 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:04 AM
Razzle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R66
I am chasing an intermittent miss. The 7 mm Packard wires on the 327 / 300 hp are about 8 months old with about 500 miles on them. Second set of new AC plugs.
I have terrible luck with 7 mm plug wires and AC plugs, these wires check good with an ohm meter but given the lack of separation in the wiring trough under the exhaust manifolds on both sides, I am thinking of putting 8 mm plug wires on it.
The problem is, I can't find replacement 8 mm rubber insulators for the stock GM wire supports. I don't want to drill out the holes in them as they appear to be the original and will retain them should the next owner want to return to 7 mm wires.
Does anyone know of a supplier for these 8 mm rubber insulators that will fit in the stock supports?
Always hard to diagnose without being there, but most likely it's not the wires.

Last edited by Razzle; 08-18-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rtruman
I got mine to work it was tight but got everything under the chrome shielding .
Thanks,
Did you run them though the stock rubber insulators on the wire supports?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by R66
Thanks,
Did you run them though the stock rubber insulators on the wire supports?
yea tight took some time got it to work I didn't use the medal supports above plug wires .Took them off both my corvettes they cause problems .The corvette's runs better with the 8mm wires and electronic ignition
R66 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:28 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Razzle
Always hard to diagnose without being there, but most likely it's not the wires.
This is the Last item on the list, I have
rebuilt carburetor & put on a new carburetor
Plugged the heat passage in the intake, new gaskets each time.
new PCV valve and rechecked
Compression check 170 to 180 psi across the board
Valve seals and valve adjustment twice.
Timing checks and rechecks
Rebuilt distributor - new cap and rotor
Vacuum advance can checked good
Two new sets of points
Coil checked good, new NAPA coil added
Runs great off of idle, no backfires.

I have another thread on the Intermittent miss, just trying to wrap the ignition system troubleshooting up before I break down and go with a MSD box and magnetic pickup. I don't want to run 40,000 volts thru 7 mm wires designed for 25,000 volts.
Ron
Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by R66
This is the Last item on the list, I have
rebuilt carburetor & put on a new carburetor
Plugged the heat passage in the intake, new gaskets each time.
new PCV valve and rechecked
Compression check 170 to 180 psi across the board
Valve seals and valve adjustment twice.
Timing checks and rechecks
Rebuilt distributor - new cap and rotor
Vacuum advance can checked good
Two new sets of points
Coil checked good, new NAPA coil added
Runs great off of idle, no backfires.

I have another thread on the Intermittent miss, just trying to wrap the ignition system troubleshooting up before I break down and go with a MSD box and magnetic pickup. I don't want to run 40,000 volts thru 7 mm wires designed for 25,000 volts.
Ron
You don't need the box just the top of line ignition
Box would be waste of money unless you are drag racing it changing rev limiters all the time.
R66 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

As a test, try replacing with new 8mm wires (or use your current 7mm) and leave the shielding off. Just keep the wires separated and off the exhaust etc with plastic wire ties...., then you'll know if it's a "wire" problem or not. Also, try not to run #5 and #7 parallel to one another. Just my 2cents.... Good Luck with whatever you decide.
R66 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 09:22 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Taylor makes a set of Ignition Wires (Taylor Cable 73051) that are 8mm and come in black (other colors are available) for the Small Block Chevy. They look for all intents and purposes stock. It is a universal set that you cut to length and assemble the distributor end to the wire after they have been run from the plugs to the distributor.

This makes them easy to run in the correct (SBC) routing before you put the distributor end on. Even though they are 8mm I have had no difficulty getting them in the looms. I do start with new rubber looms and spray them with a little silicone to make the very cooperative. They have a silicone inner and outer jacket that provides heat protection up to 600 degrees F, along with silicone spark plug boots with distributor grips.

I have had no difficulty fitting the stock shielding as well.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 08-18-2016 at 09:28 AM.
R66 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Taylor makes a set of Ignition Wires (Taylor Cable 73051) that are 8mm and come in black (other colors are available) for the Small Block Chevy. They look for all intents and purposes stock. It is a universal set that you cut to length and assemble the distributor end to the wire after they have been run from the plugs to the distributor.

This makes them easy to run in the correct (SBC) routing before you put the distributor end on. Even though they are 8mm I have had no difficulty getting them in the looms. I do start with new rubber looms and spray them with a little silicone to make the very cooperative. They have a silicone inner and outer jacket that provides heat protection up to 600 degrees F, along with silicone spark plug boots with distributor grips.

I have had no difficulty fitting the stock shielding as well.

Good luck... GUSTO
These are the exact wires I have on my L79..... They've been on a few years now and still feel "rubbery" and flexible. The best part of these wires are the boots (nice loud click when you put them on). I also bought Taylor's crimping tool which is worth getting if you don't already have one. I used these wires on my Big Block Nova bracket racer with no problems either.
R66 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 10:49 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Started on it again this morning early. Found :with stupid: in my head. Forgot about keeping the wires well separated. Used a half a dozen more plastic insulators to spread them out. Started it up and little better, but then cleared my head of stupid and thought i have been idling the motor for over a week trying to work this out. Plus we only make short trips (less than 2 miles )with it.

Rather than burn my hands again on the hot motor, took it on a 10 mile run and came back. Idled great for about 2 minutes before I started getting the miss again, but only a slight miss and not as frequent.

On my prior thread, a knowledgable gentlemen said these carbs idle lean and with a weak ignition system, it may flutter on the lean cylinders. Really smart man.

I'm going to upgrade the wires to 8 mm and the ignition as well. Don't want to invest a lot of money for something we only drive maybe 1000 miles a year, but won't tolerate poor performance.

Until I get the ignition upgraded, I am going to drive the H#*LL out of it.

Thanks for your help gentlemen.
Ron
Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by R66
Started on it again this morning early. Found :with stupid: in my head. Forgot about keeping the wires well separated. Used a half a dozen more plastic insulators to spread them out. Started it up and little better, but then cleared my head of stupid and thought i have been idling the motor for over a week trying to work this out. Plus we only make short trips (less than 2 miles )with it.

Rather than burn my hands again on the hot motor, took it on a 10 mile run and came back. Idled great for about 2 minutes before I started getting the miss again, but only a slight miss and not as frequent.

On my prior thread, a knowledgable gentlemen said these carbs idle lean and with a weak ignition system, it may flutter on the lean cylinders. Really smart man.

I'm going to upgrade the wires to 8 mm and the ignition as well. Don't want to invest a lot of money for something we only drive maybe 1000 miles a year, but won't tolerate poor performance.

Until I get the ignition upgraded, I am going to drive the H#*LL out of it.

Thanks for your help gentlemen.
Ron
Idle it in the dark so you can see it going to ground.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:57 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

You said you have new points, did you replace the condensor too? I saw you have #45 plugs, I'd use a #46 heat range or equivalent for street use.

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 08-18-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:55 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

New wires should not cross talk, but if they do you need to get better wires. You can make your own separators with zip ties. Loosely wrap one tie around the bunch of wires, then cross between the wires with a tie. Tighten most of the way and adjust for cosmetics.

Last edited by bcwaller; 08-18-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Sky65 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 07:33 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Cool idea
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The zip tie idea isn't mine. I copied what Dick Guldstrand's shop did 20 years ago on my old site of wires.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:04 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You said about points but did you check the dwell?
Old 08-19-2016, 01:13 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 677 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by bcwaller
New wires should not cross talk, but if they do you need to get better wires. You can make your own separators with zip ties. Loosely wrap one tie around the bunch of wires, then cross between the wires with a tie. Tighten most of the way and adjust for cosmetics.

I may use that on my '66...I have 8mm stainless braided wires and have never found quite the right separators...
Old 08-19-2016, 01:24 AM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,373 Likes on 896 Posts

I run 8mm wires under the tin shielding, and through all of the stock brackets. I do not use the rubber four hole loom pieces.

I have never experienced cross fire with 8mm wires installed in this manner.

The idle test in a dark garage is a good tool.

Get notified of new replies

To 8 mm plug wire looms for c2

Quick Reply: 8 mm plug wire looms for c2