C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What year would these valve covers be for?

Old 09-11-2002, 11:37 PM
racinhound
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What year would these valve covers be for?

I think they are for '65 is that right and are there any other years?

Old 09-11-2002, 11:46 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: What year would these valve covers be for? (racinhound)

I can't tell from the picture if there is a casting flaw through the "o" or not. If not, they are correct for 59L-67E. If there is a flaw, they are correct for 67, and would be the GM service part in later years as well. Sort of looks in the photo like there is a casting flaw that has been mostly polished out but the camera may be playing tricks.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:49 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

It appears that the valve covers shown have the casting flaw through the "O". The mold cracked during the early 1967 model year, so those valve covers would only be correct for mid to late 1967's. these same valve covers have been available as service replacements since then. I understand that they are not now available, but don't hold me to that. There are repro covers available without the casting flaw that are correct for 60 through early 67, I believe.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:51 PM
racinhound
Advanced

Default Re: What year would these valve covers be for? (62fuelie)

By the flaw in the "O" I assume you mean the line thru it?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:53 PM
racinhound
Advanced

Default Re: What year would these valve covers be for? (JoesC5)

Ok didn't see your reply before I posted the other. Thank you both for the information.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:00 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Yes, the line is the casting flaw. Since this went into service about late 66 (for 67 models) and was available from Chev parts for MANY years, they are sort of a dime a dozen (minimal value). The 60-66 version, which is identical but without the casting line, is the more valuable version. The late 57-59 Version is the same, but has the staggered bolt pattern and only fits 55-59 heads.
The 56-early 57 Version had 2 additional fins (referred to as the 9-fin covers) and the staggered bolt pattern and the CORVETTE script was much lower than the later versions, such as what you have. The 9-fin covers are certainly the most valuable (and rarest), but their use is very limited because they ONLY fit heads with the staggered bolt pattern (55-9).
Old 09-12-2002, 05:30 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Default Re: What year would these valve covers be for? (DZAUTO)

There were six different configurations of the finned valve cover between 1956 and 1962, with only two part number changes, which makes it interesting; here's one of my staggered-hole low-script 7-fin covers, which were used starting about S/N 2900 in '57 on F.I. cars (to replace the low-script 9-fin cover with the top fin milled for air meter clearance) and about S/N 3900 on 2x4 cars. This cover was used only until about 1958 S/N 3600, when the molds were changed to increase the height of the script from .030" to .125".

Old 09-12-2002, 09:28 PM
grm
Intermediate

Default Re: What year would these valve covers be for? (JohnZ)

As I mentioned in another post the valve covers with the casting line thru the O are no longer being made so they have jumped from $60 something to the same $120ish as the valve covers without the flaw. Found this out from Corvette Central the other day.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:19 AM
76rich
Instructor

Default Re: What year would these valve covers be for? (grm)

I believe valve covers with the casting marks through the O are still being made. I bought a set without the marks from Corvette Central within the past nine months. They had Paragon stickers on the boxes. So one is to assume they come from Paragon. Both kinds of valve covers are made from the same mold. The valve covers without marks through the O are more expensive due to the fact that someone grinds the casting with a dremel tool or something similar because upon close inspection the casting marks are still visible. So one is to assume the extra expense is due to labor. Had to send one back. He had gotten a little carried away with the grinding.
Richard
Old 09-14-2002, 07:25 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

These appear to 67's with a flaw that I think was "worked on" to try and hide.
All the expert advice is great . thanks John......like your pictures too.
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To What year would these valve covers be for?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What year would these valve covers be for?