C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 Firewall Bonding Strip - Can I Remove?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 12:58 PM
PBChase
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 59 Firewall Bonding Strip - Can I Remove?

I am hoping the forum can give me some good advice. I am in the process of putting an LS3 in my 1959 Corvette. I am planning out locations in the engine compartment to locate the Fuse Relay Center box and Engine Control Module. One thought is to cut off the bonding strip sticking out from the firewall which will give me a smooth mounting surface. I can sand and repaint the area which will give me more space to put things. My question is if I do this will I be weakening the body in any way that will cause problems later?

As always, thanks for your input.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:06 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by PBChase
I am hoping the forum can give me some good advice. I am in the process of putting an LS3 in my 1959 Corvette. I am planning out locations in the engine compartment to locate the Fuse Relay Center box and Engine Control Module. One thought is to cut off the bonding strip sticking out from the firewall which will give me a smooth mounting surface. I can sand and repaint the area which will give me more space to put things. My question is if I do this will I be weakening the body in any way that will cause problems later?

As always, thanks for your input.
no, you cannot grind that flush and not do anything else; but you could remove only what you need to mount your 'boxes' and then grind out a full-depth "V" and then fill it in with fiberglass mat & resin to effectively make it a continuous panel.

and, you could remove the entire standing joint and do the same thing...
Bill
Old 06-25-2016, 05:34 PM
PBChase
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great advice Bill, Will do.

Thanks, Peter

Originally Posted by wmf62
no, you cannot grind that flush and not do anything else; but you could remove only what you need to mount your 'boxes' and then grind out a full-depth "V" and then fill it in with fiberglass mat & resin to effectively make it a continuous panel.

and, you could remove the entire standing joint and do the same thing...
Bill
Old 06-25-2016, 06:07 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by PBChase
Great advice Bill, Will do.

Thanks, Peter
email sent, with another alternative and pictures.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 59 Firewall Bonding Strip - Can I Remove?

Quick Reply: 59 Firewall Bonding Strip - Can I Remove?