C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

SRIII Frame owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:18 AM
grif54
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default SRIII Frame owners

Hello everyone. I am debating about purchasing a SRIII frame the last week or two, I just acquired a 64 coupe that needs a complete redo. I am still deciding to use the original frame with an LS and overdrive trans or using the SRIII setup. I should be able to offset the cost by selling a solid frame that is all powdercoated and all new parts with a rebuilt rearend. I guess my real question is if anyone in the western Pennsylvania region along with Ohio has a car with one of these chassis? And if I would be able to take a look at it? Thanks, Nick
Old 03-24-2016, 05:15 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I am obviously not near you, but I will tell you that the SRIII chassis is fantastic. If you plan on keeping the car though and you are on a strict budget and capable of reconditioning suspension parts on your own, you might want to look into corvette corrections chassis.
Not sure if you are planning on going with c4, c5/c6 or c7 suspension, but the c5 up suspension on the rear will require extensive work on the tub, especially if you have a convertible.
I have been trying to sell a perfect 64 rolling chassis for over a month now and I'm asking around 4 grand with zero offers. Just FYI. It's difficult to move a 64 chassis even if it's perfect. The most I have ever sold a chassis for was 15K, but it was fully reconditioned with high end suspension components, and had a 350 with TPI, computer, etc and an automatic transmission. I managed to sell a 66 rebuilt chassis with a 327 and 4 speed for 10K, but it took months to find a buyer.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:39 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I am in Norwalk Ohio......if that's convenient....
Old 03-24-2016, 08:58 PM
grif54
Intermediate

Thanks 65silververt, I did a lot of research about 3 years ago for the same car I just acquired. I really like the SRIII and am almost sure I am going to purchase one. I have been in contact with SRIII over e-mail a few times. They seem like a great bunch of people. I really want to do the C5/6 setup but am torn on which rear to use, any suggestions? I am going get a mostly bare frame and get junkyard parts and restore and paint them how I like, likely do my own lines also. I also am going to get a floor section from him because it seems like the easiest and quickest way to go. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:37 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a '67 convertible and went with a C5 front & C4 rear set up on mine for some of the reasons 65silververt mentioned. I wanted to keep the body on the outside completely stock so I also used SRIII tubs to get the widest tire possible under the fenders and still allow me room to put the top down. (I have a thread "67 restomod" if you want to look at my set up) As I understand C5 and up have a wider stance so your wheels will require an offset which will not allow much depth or lip unless you get wider rear quarters such as GTS or others...I didn't want to do that. As far as rear set up goes, I snapped these pics when I was at the SRIII shop the other day checking on my build. This is the 1st SRIII chassis using a Camaro ZL1 rear end (I think it's a C6 set up) looked very cool!

Old 03-24-2016, 11:14 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I love the Currie 9" he uses. I know it's a ford unit, but it's bullet proof and it's the same thing roadster shop uses. I have one of each chassis currently.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:23 AM
Protour63
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in medina and have one in the build stage. You could definitely swing by and check out if you feel it would help.
Derek
Old 03-25-2016, 08:48 AM
grif54
Intermediate

Thanks guys, That suspension doesn't really look like C6 so I am guessing it is a new C7 setup! Dang that is all new stuff there. I am actually thinking about using the Camaro rear because the price of a brand new unit is actually fairly reasonable for the price I can get it for. The only problem is that they come in a 3.45, then it jumps to a 3.91. I am going to use a T56 Magnum with a 2.66 first gear and am not sure either one is optimal, I think a 3.70 would be the best choice. What ratio and trans are you guys running?
Old 03-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Protour63
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock Camaro rears are actually kind of weak compared to a Dana 44. You can get the frame set up to accept a Camaro rear, then use either the Zl1 or aftermarket upgraded Camaro center. For example, Driveshaft shop has a Fab 9" conversion that would be tough as nails. A friend of mine just had SRiii build him a frame that way and he plans to get a DANA 60 center section for it. All depends on your intensions for the car. A Dana44 can be pretty stout when set up right for street applications.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default SRIII Chassis

Originally Posted by grif54
Hello everyone. I am debating about purchasing a SRIII frame the last week or two, I just acquired a 64 coupe that needs a complete redo. I am still deciding to use the original frame with an LS and overdrive trans or using the SRIII setup. I should be able to offset the cost by selling a solid frame that is all powdercoated and all new parts with a rebuilt rearend. Thanks, Nick
Nick,

We used the SRIII frame for our 63 coupe project and, were we do build another, we would go that route again. Mike Stockdale was a pleasure to do business with, his design and quality are top-notch and he delivers on his promises.

We wrote an eight part project series for our build covering each aspect of a project like this. The links to each article are at the bottom of page 10 on our web site. The direct link to that page is: http://www.richsclassiccorvettes.com..._Project.shtml

The second article covers the chassis and why we chose to go with the SRIII unit. The link to the article is here: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pro...z06-supension/

As you've mentioned we also sold our original chassis both to help offset the cost of a new frame as well as the fact that going this route really doesn't make it practical to go back to stock.

We hope the information is of help in making your choice. You won't be disappointed in going with the SRIII chassis.

Rich
Old 03-25-2016, 11:56 AM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Nick,
Call SR III and speak with Mike. He's the most patient guy imaginable, and will take all the time needed to explain the pros and cons of the various front/rear options with you.

I had a lot of questions when I bought my chassis from him. I had a LOT more as I went through the actual build. The first time you do a major project like this, there's a steep learning curve. Mike took the time to go through any issues I had, guide me to the appropriate suppliers (steering column couplers, engine mounts, etc.), and keep your levels of anxiety at manageable levels.

Good luck,
Rick
Old 03-25-2016, 12:15 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

I used the Sr111 frame for my 60.Very happy with it and Mike is a great guy to deal with.Every time i called him it was a pleasure talking with Mike.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:29 PM
grif54
Intermediate

Thanks richscorvettes, I have actually read your build as I have searched this site, it is quite informative. Thanks for your links, I actually read through your build again.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:33 PM
grif54
Intermediate

Thanks Rich, I actually called Mike a little while ago and left a message, I am sure he is very busy during the day. I am almost sure I am going to go with his frame, but just need to check on all of the details. Most of my questions center around the rearend choice, I am going to do theC5/6 setup but there are multiple options for a rear and I don't know which one to use. I am not going to have a high horsepower car so I do not need the strongest piece out there. The biggest engine I may use is the LS3 525 with a T56 magnum. Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:13 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by grif54
Thanks richscorvettes, I have actually read your build as I have searched this site, it is quite informative. Thanks for your links, I actually read through your build again.
Nick,

Happy to hear the articles were of some help in making your choice of frames. In the chassis & suspension article I mentioned a couple of options to consider such as having Mike run the brake lines, TIG welding and priming the frame if you are going to paint it or have him powder-coat it.

I like the idea of using the C6 rear suspension which wasn't available when we built ours. Mike has several choices for the differential and, having done many, he will be able to guide you to the choice that will work best for you.

If there is anything where we might be of help just let me know. Best of luck with your project.

Rich
Old 04-07-2016, 01:05 AM
c264
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in 64 chassis.

I have a 64 with a cracked frame. Considering options. New to forum. Not sure how to do a personal message.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 AM
grif54
Intermediate

Originally Posted by c264
I have a 64 with a cracked frame. Considering options. New to forum. Not sure how to do a personal message.
Hey c264, I really like the SRIII frame a lot and am going to order one in the next few months. It isn't the cheap way out but if you want something with an aftermarket chassis, it is the way to go. There are other options out there that are more expensive and ones that are around the same price but the SRIII came out on top for me. As far as personal messaging is, you need to click on my name and options will come up, PM will be one of them, click on it and a new page will come up that you can type a message to me. I will PM you so you can reply to me. If you were interested in my old chassis I do have one. We can PM if you are interested.

Get notified of new replies

To SRIII Frame owners

Old 04-07-2016, 06:24 PM
c264
Cruising

Thanks. I think you're making the right choice. It's the same amount of trouble, probably more with the original frame and given how much I drive it, I think I'll go the SRIII direction as well.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have built 4 cars with SRIII frames, and the next one will be SRIII as well. Mike is a pleasure to deal with and builds a great chassis at a fair price. Last one I built was all C5/C6 parts with a Winters Quickchange center section. Went that way to be able to get more tire under it, and there is no center section that is narrower than the QC.
Ended up not putting the LSA motor in it, so I did not use all the tire space I built into it! Only put a measly little 480 hp LS3 in it.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-08-2016, 12:05 AM
c264
Cruising

Thanks for the advice, John. Don't necessarily want more tire, I like the look of the 17x7 wheels I have on it now. Plus, I absolutely love the sweet sound of the current BluePrint 355/375. I had friends who got these things brand new when I was younger but had to wait until my late '60's to get my own. However, the frame was cracked when I got it a few years back and I plan to continue to drive and enjoy it for as long as I have left. Then the kids can sort it out. An SRIII frame makes the most sense for what I want. The LS 3 sounds like a very good idea too.

Quick Reply: SRIII Frame owners