C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Corvettes vs old Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I dont buy cars to get attention
this.

I buy my cars for me, and me alone, not to impress some random stranger.

YMMV
Old 12-25-2015, 10:03 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
this.

I buy my cars for me, and me alone, not to impress some random stranger.

YMMV
Yes. I'm happy to be friendly but I don't need the attention.

I loved my c6 I bought new, they represent the best Corvette for me after 1972. Mid years being my pinnacle. I would never give up my 64 to have one back. I had a 69, and my order is 63-67 priority, 68-72 next, and if there is room for a third then c6.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Like the older stuff myself, ease of ownership and working on them
Have electronic stuff in my 02 truck Ive never used since the day i took it off the dealers lot. The rest just breaks.

Out in Ca, women laugh or sneer at you in a Vette, and guys flip you off its the "old mans/rednecks" ride out here. Soon as I went back to a musclecar...different story.
Well except for the part women still hate em LOL. Which is good!!
In an old Vette? ...or a late model Vette?

...and what kind of Muscle car?
Old 12-25-2015, 10:21 PM
ucc2ic65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The c7's are sweet. But in my 65, I feel I am part of the car. The driving experience still puts a grin from ear to ear every time I drive it. That is priceless.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:29 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,122 Likes on 577 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Have electronic stuff in my 02 truck Ive never used since the day i took it off the dealers lot. The rest just breaks.

Out in Ca, women laugh or sneer at you in a Vette, and guys flip you off its the "old mans/rednecks" ride out here. Soon as I went back to a musclecar...different story.
I don't think anyone suggested that they buy cars to get attention, only that with some cars, the car draws people's attention, like it or not...The attention a car garners is a pretty good indicator of how rare, (and perhaps more interesting) that car is.

Who cares what CA people think of a car? Or women for that matter. Buy what you like, for yourself. You'll be hugely disappointed if you go through life buying things to please others. When you're old enough to have driven these 60s cars when they were new, you hopefully learned a long, long time ago that you don't buy cars to get women's attention...
Old 12-25-2015, 11:52 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Six years ago I ordered a new Grand Sport. Picked it up at the Corvette Museum and it has never been at a dealer. I always wanted a new one. That being said I should have bought a 67 coupe. In six years I put less than 12,000 mile on it.
I always prefer taking the 62. I was looking at some picture that were taken of the dash last April and noticed that I had driven well over 3,000 miles since then. I even had the 62 out today.

http://www.bormidaphotography.com/p580573239#h43b58f57
Old 12-26-2015, 12:23 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Ever think maybe those peoples' reactions have nothing to do with the car you're driving?

It's true that in SoCal a brand new Vette won't attract a second glance, but an immaculate Sebring Silver '63 Split Window Coupe is something most people here rarely, if ever, have seen on the road. Judging by the almost universal smiles and thumbs up the car receives, it really has a timeless appeal that makes it something special - even in a part of the world where Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and all types of expensive, exotic cars are commonplace.

Incidentally, "what other folks' opinions of the car might be" was never a factor when I decided I would own one.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:27 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

I am glad that I have both. Too be honest, my Z07 gets more attention than my 65.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:31 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JackTripper
I am glad that I have both. Too be honest, my Z07 gets more attention than my 65.
To be honest, it's a great looking car.

Last edited by SW Vette; 12-26-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:42 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I guess I'm the odd duck ...

I've been working on cars and been in the car business all my life. Started out drawing Roth type T-shirts in Junior High school.

I spent thousands of hours on the ground as kid installing clutches, building my own engines in a well house...and trading mechanic work for paint work in order to have nice cars.

If I didn't care what others thought.. I'd have just bought some non descript POS to drive like most of the rest of the world.

Hot rods, classics and most fast cars are a statement for other to see...at least to me and every person I know.

Other's reaction is all I care about, and the "only payday" no matter how many $$ I made on a job..."or" especially on a car I built for myself.

It is the "gasp" or "wow" when I turn on the shop lights, that is the real reward for the effort. My wife and I call it "sucking wind"...

It happens every time "without exception"..."IF" a car is truly beautiful to another person when they "first" see it ..

I don't personally know any builder or life long hobbyist that doesn't "live" for that reaction... It's what really makes all those aching back, bone tired nights worth while...imho.

Oh yeah..and I'm fine with the attention they and I get...lol!

Happy trails...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 12-26-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:43 AM
dudman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Default I

I would love to have a new Z06 in addition to my 65. But As an accountant thinks, I much prefer knowing my 65 isn't going down in value $5-10 grand a year and me only driving it on pretty days. My conscience wouldn't let me use the Z06 as a daily driver.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
I guess I'm the odd duck ...

Other's reaction is all I care about, and the "only payday" no matter how many $$ I made on a job..."or" especially on a car I built for myself.

It is the "gasp" or "wow" when I turn on the shop lights, that is the real reward for the effort. My wife and I call it "sucking wind"...

It happens every time "without exception"..."IF" a car is truly beautiful to another person when they "first" see it ..

I don't personally know any builder that or life long hobbyist that doesn't "live" for that reaction... It's what really makes all those aching back, bone tired nights worth while...imho.

Oh yeah..an I' fine with the attention they and I get...lol!

Happy trails...Stan
I don't believe a single soul on here that says they don't drive a classic Corvette for the attention. They may even believe it themselves but I don't for a minute.

And I've never seen a woman laugh at a Corvette....of any year, unless it was a C3 that had steer horns on the hood and six guns for door handles and was air brushed with Yosemite Sam under the hood....now THAT I've seen.

I sat in a guys C7, at his insistence (white one in the pic), at a Sarasota car show. Started it up and the displays came on. The TV dash lit up; the HUD display started registering info and I was reminded of my flight simulator days and I smiled and oohed and aahed over the car while thinking, "...why in the world would I want one of these?". Then they have the exciting Sport and Track options part of whose function is to detune the car so some idiot doesn't wind up in a tree because they overdrive their skill. Make no mistake - these do-dads are just another stop towards the self-driving car. And, you can make the exhaust system quieter - still trying to figure out the purpose of that.

And now, I see 2 or 3 C7s on any extended outing while driving - nothing special about them now IMO.

I had a fleeting thought of this car's owner putting it on eBay in 6-7 years and wondering why his car, with all the whiz-bang options; even though its white, isn't getting higher bids
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-26-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:25 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Don't you wish you still had a few of those?
I wish I had this one back as I ordered it in the special color. https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0...o-Z28/4-Speed/
Old 12-26-2015, 08:56 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Its performance versus style, really. The new ones will outperform the old ones every time, are safer, more fuel efficient, etc.; but the old ones, especially the 53-72, have all the style you could ever want.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:58 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
None of them. I have owned a 59, a 63, 64, 78, 87 and now I drive a 2000 convertible. When I drove my 63 coupe I got constant attention. I got "thumbs up" from every Harley rider I encountered on the highway. I got smiles from everyone.

I miss the styling of the older cars but I will continue to go forward. I enjoy the improvements over the generations.
That is exactly why the "Retro Rod" was invented. You get the best of both worlds. However, you are going to pay. (as usual)
Old 12-26-2015, 09:06 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I own a 2004 and a 2011 Z07, really like them both, but my all time favorite and what I consider the standard bearer is the 67 427 tri-power 'vert; yellow with black stinger!
Old 12-26-2015, 09:34 AM
Vetterway
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default How long...

No one ever asks how long you've owned your C7!

Get notified of new replies

To New Corvettes vs old Corvettes

Old 12-26-2015, 10:04 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Cheaper to insure and with good forever antique plates, no more registration renewals, as a bonus, state inspection exempt.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:16 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,271 Likes on 509 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I own and enjoy both. The 1962 is great fun for short road trips and local shows, the C6 convertible is a much more comfortable and reliable car for touring, vacations and even grocery-getting during the summer months. The "Corvette Experience" has many facets, and different people like them for different reasons . . . but everyone likes them, and both cars always get a lot of compliments, comments and thumbs-up reactions.

And yes, it's nice to be driving a car everyone else wants and admires. No denying that. I can truthfully say that I bought them for me, not for them . . . but the looks I get while driving them are certainly a nice bonus. Let's do our best to remember that each of us is an ambassador for all of us. Drive safely, don't be "that guy" that leads to negative perceptions of Corvette owners. Above all, enjoy your car whatever its year, and get it out there so others can enjoy it too.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,473 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

My world rotates around classic and old things, be it tangible and intangible...music and cars! Music is heard and felt. Our cars are seen, felt and heard. The new ones are a little of each, but they don't convey the visceral experience too the same level that our old ones do to us. Driving our old cars takes you from one world to another. One for the better. Dennis
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (12-26-2015)

Quick Reply: New Corvettes vs old Corvettes