C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stinger hood on small block from factory

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
Darn you beat me to it.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:30 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
....and not even with the same rear clip !

Yup, you and I are thinking about the same thing. I heard recently tho that the operative phrase should be "did exist", as the story says the it was wrecked shortly after it was built and sold.
Thanks for reminding me of that beautiful creation's sad early demise. Maybe there's a curse on mixing certain details of the iconic '63 with the iconic '67?

Old 12-22-2015, 12:43 PM
VetteZr
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I've gotta add my two cents here, I am NOT an authority but I do read quite a bit when it comes to the C2's as I am still learning new & interesting facts, and someone that I do consider to be very knowledgeable agreed with the article when I showed it to him. What I had read "way back when" was that in 67 when the final C2's were being built, GM ran out of SB hoods & GM not wanting to hold up production used the BB hoods, as a result there were a number of small block cars built with big block hoods, but GM made the decision to not paint a stinger stripe on those SB cars, so those car's hoods were painted in body color only. I do know from my past experiences with GM (and I have been dealing with GM & especially Corvettes in particular) that many things have occurred over the years where there is no record of such things being done, but trust me they did happen, just like the Rockwell stinger hoods that everyone swears were NOT GM parts, however I purchased 4 of them over the parts counters at Barlow Chevy & Briskin Chevy back in the early 70's, I could go on & on, but I'll leave it at that, by the way talking about metal bodied Vettes, I am sure you all know about the Corvette Rondine!

Last edited by VetteZr; 12-22-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VetteZr
I've gotta add my two cents here, I am NOT an authority but I do read quite a bit when it comes to the C2's as I am still learning new & interesting facts, and someone that I do consider to be very knowledgeable agreed with the article when I showed it to him. What I had read "way back when" was that in 67 when the final C2's were being built, GM ran out of SB hoods & GM not wanting to hold up production used the BB hoods, as a result there were a number of small block cars built with big block hoods, but GM made the decision to not paint a stinger stripe on those sb cars, so those car's hoods were painted in body color only. I do know from my past experiences with GM (and I have been dealing with GM & especially Corvettes in particular) that many things have occurred over the years where there is no record of such things being done, but trust me they did happen, just like the Rockwell stinger hoods that everyone swears were NOT GM parts, however I purchased 4 of them over the parts counters at Barlow Chevy & Briskin Chevy back in the early 70's, I could go on & on, but I'll leave it at that, by the way talking about metal bodies Vettes, I am sure you all know about the Corvette Rondine!
You don't really believe that do you.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteZr
What I had read "way back when" was that in 67 when the final C2's were being built, GM ran out of SB hoods & GM not wanting to hold up production used the BB hoods, as a result there were a number of small block cars built with big block hoods, but GM made the decision to not paint a stinger stripe on those SB cars, so those car's hoods were painted in body color only.
Nope. Never happened. End of story.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:57 PM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Seems like a fitting ending to my OP! Thanks for the stories and entertainment.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:49 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by survivor66
Seems like a fitting ending to my OP! Thanks for the stories and entertainment.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:55 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

I was there in the beginning of NCRS #182 , over and over what people said never happened was later to be correct. Never sold a yellow and green 55, never had welded wheels,never used black walls , never used two design headlight bulbs , just a few on 1955 Corvette. ( because I like 55's ) For years Nolan and I tried to tell NCRS there is a way you can tell the color of any C1 58 to 62 when they argued they never painted a black 58 , later when we started SACE and wrote about it and showed how you could tell the color (which Nolan and I never got credit for) . They also said they never painted a black 54 /// people believe everything if NCRS said so. My 67 is what Nolan wrote about on the big Block hood but everyone knows better because it's not documented .How many C1's are documented as being correct , stop and think ,how many things that are known to be correct on C2's are also not documented . One of many reason I left NCRS and started SACE. OK now I can be scorned /

Last edited by 1955 copper; 12-23-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:47 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
I was there in the beginning of NCRS #182 , over and over what people said never happened was later to be correct. Never sold a yellow and green 55, never had welded wheels,never used black walls , never used two design headlight bulbs , just a few on 1955 Corvette. ( because I like 55's ) For years Nolan and I tried to tell NCRS you can tell the color of any C1 58 to 62 when they argued they never painted a black 58 , but later when we started SACE and wrote about it and proved you could tell the color and did originally paint a 58 black (which Nolan and I never got credit for) . They also said they never painted a black 54 /// people believe everything because NCRS said so. On what I just mentioned is there any written proof ? NO , my 67 is what Nolan wrote about on the big Block hood but everyone knows better because it's not documented .How many C1's are documented to be correct , stop and think ,how many things that are known to be correct on C2's are also not documented . One of many reason I left NCRS and started SACE. OK now I can be scorned /
When Noland Adams wrote the book on 53-62 Corvettes, he did so with extensive knowledge. That wasn't exactly the case when he did the book on 63-67, though. He relied on a lot of excellent information from GM files and a lot of information from people that he assumed were truthful and knowledgeable. Much of the information from owners was correct and some was incorrect. (some was BS)

I remember that he referred to information on the mystery big block hood on small block cars that was submitted by owners. I do remember that your car was included in that information.

However, if Noland would have seen the fake attempt to install the hood support reinforcement plate on the back side of the fender skirt BEFORE he included the info in the book, he would have deleted all of it.

Maybe you know who's car that picture was from?

I still don't think any 67 small block Corvettes left the plant with a big block hood.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:07 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by Critter1
When Noland Adams wrote the book on 53-62 Corvettes, he did so with extensive knowledge. That wasn't exactly the case when he did the book on 63-67, though. He relied on a lot of excellent information from GM files and a lot of information from people that he assumed were truthful and knowledgeable. Much of the information from owners was correct and some was incorrect. (some was BS)

I remember that he referred to information on the mystery big block hood on small block cars that was submitted by owners. I do remember that your car was included in that information.

However, if Noland would have seen the fake attempt to install the hood support reinforcement plate on the back side of the fender skirt BEFORE he included the info in the book, he would have deleted all of it.

Maybe you know who's car that picture was from?

I still don't think any 67 small block Corvettes left the plant with a big block hood.
I never said my 67 came with that BB hood ,while in Bend Oregon years ago (it took a top flight) Noland notice the hood and was curious about the hood latch support plate on the left side and was missing the right side support plate . He told me the right side holes had never been used and the hood design was different . That's it ! I never knew he used my serial number in his book which is #12345 which was hard for me to remember LOL Till years later when WE both started SACE .He lives 30 minutes from me ,saw all the info he had on C1 and C2 ,spend many hours talking about NCRS and what they think they know . That's the story nothing more ( I added the stinger hood paint when I had it repainted because I liked the look) //you all decide what you want!!

Last edited by 1955 copper; 12-24-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I will be the first to ask what's "SACE"
Old 12-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

The syllogism seems to be:

1) I paid for and bought an "all original" Corvette.
2) My Corvette has an atypical modification; different from regular factory cars.
3) Since I know I bought an original Corvette, I am one of the few lucky guys to have a factory, but, atypical car.

Just yesterday somebody came on here who one of the few (only ?) 1964s with an experimental race engine because two engine builders told him so; now the BB hood on the SB has resurfaced.

Ya now folks, you might have just bought a nice Corvette that some other owner modified and its not that one-in-a-million factory screw up.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-24-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
An early Corvette organization started by disenfranchised NCRS members:

http://www.earlycorvettes.com/corvettesite/SACE.html

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-24-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:36 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
An early Corvette organization started by disenfranchised NCRS members:

http://www.earlycorvettes.com/corvettesite/SACE.html
Well I see the FINK is at it again even tho 99% of all members are NCRS members , that's when Noland and I started losing favor with NCRS higher ups.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well I see the FINK is at it again even tho 99% of all members are NCRS members , that's when Noland and I started losing favor with NCRS higher ups.
It was not meant to be derogatory Roy. I chose that word very carefully. It means "out of favor" or "marginalized".

I've had a love/hate relationship myself with the NCRS and dropped my membership for many years and then renewed it recently. I swore I'd never get a car judged and now I am.

I still think the rigidity in some aspects of the judging is unjustified....you either put up with it or you don't it seems.

Although, the NCRS has suggested a new judging class with less rigorous requirements - which not ALL members are happy about. I think its a great idea

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-24-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:12 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

He told me the right side holes had never been used ...........
How can this be explained?
Old 12-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
How can this be explained?
Replacement front clip. Not like these cars were never wrecked

Get notified of new replies

To Stinger hood on small block from factory

Old 12-24-2015, 04:39 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

I"m not saying anything on the BB hood because I'll just get *&%$# , sorry FINK dint know what that word meant , this tread should be dumped
Old 12-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Vetterway
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Sace

Straight Axle Corvette Enthusiast
Old 12-24-2015, 05:56 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Replacement front clip. Not like these cars were never wrecked
Yeah, it could be that. It cold also be that the right apron/reinforcement wasn't put on in line process. Same with the left apron reinforcement.

Just like I described above.

Just don't get too hung up on what was on the order blanks.

Quick Reply: Stinger hood on small block from factory