C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mid year coupe door weatherstriping install

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:57 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Mid year coupe door weatherstriping install

Any special hints? I know you apply adhesive to both sides and let tack but anything else like the best place to start applying? Doors are off, I assume it's easier with them off? Thanks
Old 11-15-2015, 03:06 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

This worked well for me:
Though on a vert, both ends of the weather strip at the front and rear of the door were glued in place and allowed to set up. .. No adhesive was applied to the portion of weather strip in between. This allowed the portion of weather strip in between to stretch out taut and rest in place to whatever length it needed to.

With the ends dried in place, adhesive was carefully applied to adhere and set the remainder of weather strip in between.

If starting from one end and working towards the other while adhering the weather strip in place the rubber might come up short or long at the other end depending on how much push/pull was involved.
John
Old 11-15-2015, 05:54 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,637 Likes on 1,967 Posts

I'm not sure how to clearly explain this but think about the direction the weatherstrip will compress when the door shuts - the weatherstrip fits in a corner of the door jamb/inner panel. You primarily want to apply adhesive in the corner of the two surfaces and on the surface the rubber gets compressed against. If it's primarily glued to the jamb surface, compression of the rubber when the door is closed will eventually just shear the adhesive loose at some point and result in loose weatherstripping.

Also work short sections at a time (4 or 5 inches) and be cautious to not stretch or tension the weatherstripping as it's glued in place. Masking tape can be laid down to align with the edge of the weatherstrip and help keep adhesive off of your paint. Also, Prep-sol will remove it from the paint with a little rubbing. Of course if you are going for the factory look, don't worry about some adhesive getting on the paint here and there.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:02 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Thanks John and Dan for your posts, something to think about. I will look for my orig w/s and see if it was glued on in its entirety . Did you guys do it with the doors on or off? I would imagine it's pretty hard to affix it to the front jam with the doors on? I know it was hard to get it off even with the door on.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:13 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes - that is a difficult area to get to. It's best to do it with the doors off but I'm sure some have managed it without removing them.

If using black 3M weatherstripping adhesive, I don't know if it's just me but the stuff doesn't seem to have as long a working life as it use to. That's one reason to work short sections at a time. And the tubes seem to go bad pretty quickly after they are opened and used. For that reason I've been buying small tubes instead of the larger tubes.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

That's the stuff I got. I have an opened tube from a couple of years ago and a new tube I just bought. I'll use the new unopened tube. Thanks
Old 12-08-2015, 03:11 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Boy, this adhesive stinks, the smell that is. One door done
Attached Images  

Last edited by TWINRAY; 12-08-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:12 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default weatherstripping

Did my 63 SWC with the doors on using the methods described above. Only thing I can add is use disposable gloves. Tape off the areas you don't want to get the adhesive on (I didn't do this well and had to retouch the paint). I kept the doors closed for several weeks (winter anyway) to compress the new weather striping. Only big troubl I had was the vent windows.

good luck,
Jim
Old 12-09-2015, 11:49 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JAMES69
Did my 63 SWC with the doors on using the methods described above. Only thing I can add is use disposable gloves. Tape off the areas you don't want to get the adhesive on (I didn't do this well and had to retouch the paint). I kept the doors closed for several weeks (winter anyway) to compress the new weather striping. Only big troubl I had was the vent windows.

good luck,
Jim
Must have been a PITA with the doors on. I did the top first, then after that was affixed, did half way down the sides. Then moved the door 45 degrees and finished. I didn't put adhesive on 100 percent of the weatherstripping. You'll need 3 people to do that without messing up something. I did it in "spots." Obviously did put completly on the door so it would attach to the side AND bottom of the w/s. The adhesive is like stringy melted cheese when you finish and pull it away. Gotta watch that. It really sticks , the w/s.

Last edited by TWINRAY; 12-09-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:57 PM
blue63cpe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you glue the weatherstripping over the 4 holes that mount the vent window ? Just me but I would have hung the door and put my glass in first. Good luck hanging the doors not a easy job on coupes .
Old 12-09-2015, 06:05 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blue63cpe
Did you glue the weatherstripping over the 4 holes that mount the vent window ? Just me but I would have hung the door and put my glass in first. Good luck hanging the doors not a easy job on coupes .
W/s does not extend over the holes. If it's close , it should just push to the side. I had a hard enough (to me anyway ) of a time with the doors off. Did the other door today - glad it's done. Hope to hang the doors tomorrow, that is if my helping wife doesn't go shopping
Attached Images  

Last edited by TWINRAY; 12-09-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:11 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure how it will hold up if you spot adhered it - I hope OK. It is a tedious, stringy, messy project gluing it down - thus the need to work just a few inches at a time. PrepSol will clean up any strings of adhesive or out of place dabs of 3M when fresh but it's best to use 3M adhesive remover if it's dried awhile. Or masking tape outside the line of the weatherstripping helps too.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Not sure how it will hold up if you spot adhered it - I hope OK. It is a tedious, stringy, messy project gluing it down - thus the need to work just a few inches at a time. PrepSol will clean up any strings of adhesive or out of place dabs of 3M when fresh but it's best to use 3M adhesive remover if it's dried awhile. Or masking tape outside the line of the weatherstripping helps too.
I got brave on the 2nd door. Did pretty much 100 percent coverage on the rubber w/s side. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Probably should have done better coverage on the 1st door but was done, is done.

Last edited by TWINRAY; 12-10-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:47 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
... Probably should have done better coverage on the 1st door but was done, is done.
Well, not necessarily . I tried to "beef up" the adhesive on the 1st door and ended up taking it 75 per cent off. The reglue on both sides didn't seem to work out. I guess once adhesive gets on the w/s, putting new adhesive doesn't like to adhere well. So I pulled is all off. Luckly LI Corvette Supply is in the area and I picked up another strip along with some speed nuts and hood bolts. Tried to put the other door on with my assistant wife but that wasn't going well so I quit for the day

Get notified of new replies

To Mid year coupe door weatherstriping install

Quick Reply: Mid year coupe door weatherstriping install