C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Resin question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 01:37 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,627 Likes on 1,958 Posts

As far as I know the method of constructing body panels didn't change except in minor detail, from 54 or 55 until what looks to be about 72 from the posts above (I thought it was a little later).

I think for clarity what we need is for JohnZ or someone to post that GM assembly plant photo showing the worker blowing chopped fiberglass stands into the screen mold for a C2 roof panel prior to it being placed in the press molds with resin for molding and curing. I think it's in my Noland Adams book but I don't have a copy I can paste in here.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:41 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
As far as I know the method of constructing body panels didn't change except in minor detail, from 54 or 55 until what looks to be about 72 from the posts above (I thought it was a little later).

I think for clarity what we need is for JohnZ or someone to post that GM assembly plant photo showing the worker blowing chopped fiberglass stands into the screen mold for a C2 roof panel prior to it being placed in the press molds with resin for molding and curing. I think it's in my Noland Adams book but I don't have a copy I can paste in here.
Yep - there is a great photo in Nolans book - of a 54 rear upper surround
Old 11-03-2015, 01:45 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...961/61sae.html - C1 fiberglass process

Last edited by csherman; 11-03-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:02 PM
65ZR1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
What's the pat number on the 3M can? I'm asking this because the 3M I'm using cures rock hard on the surface.

What's the ambient temperature in your shop?

You mentioned using a roller, like this?
I don't have the part number handy. The car isn't at home. But I will check.
My shop temperature is between 60 and 65. I keep it a little cool so I can wear somethin to keep the glass off my skin!
My roller is exactly like that.

I once measured exactly how much hardener to add for one inch of 3m resin in the cups I use. I've been doing that amount ever since. Perhaps I need to recheck it. I was told a laminating resin would cure with a tacky surface and just assumed this was correct. Can anyone verify that the 3m is a laminating resin?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:07 PM
65ZR1
Pro

Originally Posted by csherman
65 ZR1 - are you using a roller or anything to press out air bubbles?
Yes, I'm using a roller like the one pictured in this thread. I also use the brush to drive out some air.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:10 PM
65ZR1
Pro

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
The only thing I can add is that you might experiment with trying to increase or decrease the resin applied to the mat. Bubbles sounds like the matrix may be ending up a bit too resin rich and bubbles are forming in the excess on top. If a solid layer of resin is forming over the surface after rolling it out and you are seeing the bubbles in that - that would sound to me like too much resin is being used. But, could be that it's actually resin lean if the bubbles could be areas that didn't bind together when rolled out. If you could take a picture of the bubbles that might help someone figure it out.
I am going to do some experimenting this weekend. First with accurately measuring the exact amount of hardener for this new resin and then with going a little plus and minus from there. I will let you know how it turns out and take some pictures.
Thanks,
Old 11-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 65ZR1
I don't have the part number handy. The car isn't at home. But I will check.
My shop temperature is between 60 and 65. I keep it a little cool so I can wear somethin to keep the glass off my skin!
My roller is exactly like that.

I once measured exactly how much hardener to add for one inch of 3m resin in the cups I use. I've been doing that amount ever since. Perhaps I need to recheck it. I was told a laminating resin would cure with a tacky surface and just assumed this was correct. Can anyone verify that the 3m is a laminating resin?
Resin formulas have changed over the years, so, calling it a laminating resin might not be correct.

I've had the 3M stay tacky when I didn't use enough hardener but only a couple times.

What I do a lot is heat up the surrounding glass with a heat gun, fairly warm to the touch, gun on low, 6 in. away and not directly on the wet glass.

Quick Reply: Resin question