C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

how to lower pinion on diff for driveshaft alignement

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:41 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default helpful app

I used this app from Tremec when doing my 6 speed conversion, works really well, I know you got yours figured out but hope someone can use this. Takes the guess work out of setting driveline angle.
http://tremec.com/menu.php?m=154
The following users liked this post:
alexandervdr (09-28-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 02:43 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,627 Likes on 1,958 Posts

So Alexander, what angles (trans, drive shaft, differential) will you actually end up with?
Old 09-27-2015, 03:08 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
So Alexander, what angles (trans, drive shaft, differential) will you actually end up with?
I now have 2° each end, give or take 0.1°- 0.2° precision in the readings. Especially the diff side is not highly accurate.
The side rib does go lengthwise but is slightly tapered. So the reading changes about 0.5° if you put the gauge on top versus on the bottom. Those numbers change obviously too with the degree of tightening of the cushion between the diff and frame brackets. All in all I am happy with my current set-up. With the experience I gained through this exercise it will be easier for me to solve eventual vibration issues later . I may run into surprises that the gearbox does not fit in the tunnel (I reglassed the tunnel 1/2" higher), although I measured about 10 times how much clearance I have once the body will be on.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:23 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gator79
I used this app from Tremec when doing my 6 speed conversion, works really well, I know you got yours figured out but hope someone can use this. Takes the guess work out of setting driveline angle.
http://tremec.com/menu.php?m=154
Tnx! Good tip
Old 09-28-2015, 04:27 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,627 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I now have 2° each end, give or take 0.1°- 0.2° precision in the readings. Especially the diff side is not highly accurate.
The side rib does go lengthwise but is slightly tapered. So the reading changes about 0.5° if you put the gauge on top versus on the bottom. Those numbers change obviously too with the degree of tightening of the cushion between the diff and frame brackets. All in all I am happy with my current set-up. With the experience I gained through this exercise it will be easier for me to solve eventual vibration issues later . I may run into surprises that the gearbox does not fit in the tunnel (I reglassed the tunnel 1/2" higher), although I measured about 10 times how much clearance I have once the body will be on.
OK - so if that's 2 degrees slope on both transmission and rear end alignment (in same direction I assume) and your driveshaft was 2 degrees greater than your zero'd transmission yoke. So, it sounds like you are ending up with +2% deflection at the transmission and -2% deflection at the differential in a "Z" arrangement. Is that right?

Or are you saying you have +2% deflection at the transmission output and +2% at the rear differential yoke - the "W" arrangement?
Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
OK - so if that's 2 degrees slope on both transmission and rear end alignment (in same direction I assume) and your driveshaft was 2 degrees greater than your zero'd transmission yoke. So, it sounds like you are ending up with +2% deflection at the transmission and -2% deflection at the differential in a "Z" arrangement. Is that right?

Or are you saying you have +2% deflection at the transmission output and +2% at the rear differential yoke - the "W" arrangement?
It's 2° from transmission to shaft, and another 2° from shaft to pinion. So it's a 'W' configuration. Sorry for confusing you.

Quick Reply: how to lower pinion on diff for driveshaft alignement