C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Convertible Speedster Deck Lid For 65

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:39 AM
ph31mwl
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Convertible Speedster Deck Lid For 65

I was watching a Jay Leno’s Garage video where he had Joe Rogan and his 65 convertible restomod. I thought that the convertible speedster deck lid looked good especially since I am going to install aftermarket seats in my 65 convertible. The top of the seat back will be above the deck lid so I think the speedster deck lid will make it look better.

I have been doing searches on the web for someone who has the speedster decks for the C-2 Corvettes but I am unable to find anyone. I have found vendors that have them for later model Corvettes but not the C-2’s.

Is anyone aware of anyone who makes them for the 65’s??

Thanks, Mark
Old 09-06-2015, 11:16 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ph31mwl
I was watching a Jay Leno’s Garage video where he had Joe Rogan and his 65 convertible restomod. I thought that the convertible speedster deck lid looked good especially since I am going to install aftermarket seats in my 65 convertible. The top of the seat back will be above the deck lid so I think the speedster deck lid will make it look better.

I have been doing searches on the web for someone who has the speedster decks for the C-2 Corvettes but I am unable to find anyone. I have found vendors that have them for later model Corvettes but not the C-2’s.

Thanks, Mark

I'm not, but this sounds like an opportunity for for a Corvette vendor. Question is, how many C2 convertible owners are into even mild customization these days? 5%?

At a 50% C2 survival rate that's only about 3,000 prospects. Oh, and cut it in half because coupes don't count. Maybe that's why we haven't seen them commercially available yet. Next guy who builds or commissions one could save the mold and offer them here?

Last edited by sub006; 09-07-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks, Mark
Unless the contour of the seat back/headrest matches the deck humps --it's going to look pretty funky.

Were you planning on shaping the seats like Joe's car?
Old 09-06-2015, 03:25 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Is this it?

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by buns
Is this it?

Yep, Joe is very proud of those cake-pan wheels.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:39 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,054 Likes on 1,256 Posts

A distinctive looking Sting Ray for sure.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:00 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

To each his own and although I can see some potential practical value (like mounting small stereo speakers into each cove and maybe reducing back-breeze onto your neck) I still wouldn't want to see them on my own car.
Spoils the clean lines and front/rear proportions.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:31 AM
ph31mwl
Instructor

Sub006 – hmmm, good point…didn’t think about that aspect of a vendor investing the money to develop molds and everything else involved in producing these for a very limited number of prospective buyers.

Mike Geary – Another good point. As far as the seats and their shape at the top, I am looking at the Procar elite 1100 series. I saw a posting early this year in the forum where pictures of the seats in the C2 were posted. They look good. It appears that the only part of the seat that is above the deck is the headrest so the shape of the bubbles would have to be similar in shape in order to look good. Something else to think about when selecting new aftermarket seats for the car. I might have to build the bubbles myself and shape them to the seat top.

Buns – that is the car. I am not in love with the wheels though.

Thank you all for your input.

Mark
Old 09-07-2015, 10:55 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default R K Motors

Mark I believe that car was built and or sold by RK Motors in Charlotte. Maybe shoot them an E mail to see if they could make one for you. They do a whole lot of resto mods and sell a lot on consignment.
Or maybe easier to use your stock piece and have a local Corvette body shop design it per you needs. That would assure it would fit as it does now. Same gaps versus fitting a custom panel.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:57 PM
ph31mwl
Instructor

JR1, thank your for the lead. I did email RK Motors this morning asking about Joe Rogan's car. Joseph Carrol, President or RK got back to me quickly. He said that while they did sell Joe the car they can't take credit for building it and he does not know where the speedster style deck came from. Looks like I may have to make one myself

Thank you for your input. Mark
Old 09-09-2015, 02:01 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I made my own several years back by cutting out the sections from a C6 rear deck, in hindsight I think a C5 would have worked better.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by midyear

I made my own several years back by cutting out the sections from a C6 rear deck, in hindsight I think a C5 would have worked better.

Nice work! I much prefer the shape of your "humps" compared to Joe R's car. Joe's look like they belong on a C1 or a 550 Spyder.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:02 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Midyears humps are definitely more to my taste. I would think two longer humps each side with a peak matching the quarters would be even better
Old 09-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Vetterway
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Midyears humps are definitely more to my taste. I would think two longer humps each side with a peak matching the quarters would be even better
Longer "humps" would look nicer, however you don't want to defeat the convertible top fitting the car.

Vetterway
Old 09-09-2015, 05:33 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetterway
Longer "humps" would look nicer, however you don't want to defeat the convertible top fitting the car.

Vetterway
Ah! Things coupe guys don't consider right away. True dat.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:00 PM
ph31mwl
Instructor

Midyear, nice....

That is probably the only way I can go with this. I appreciate you sending the pictures and especially the "in progress" picture so I can get an idea of how you did it.

Thanks, Mark
Old 09-10-2015, 08:14 AM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Midyear, nice....

That is probably the only way I can go with this. I appreciate you sending the pictures and especially the "in progress" picture so I can get an idea of how you did it.

Thanks, Mark
No problem Mark, I have more if you need them, just send me a pm

Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Speedster Deck Lid For 65

Old 09-10-2015, 09:49 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetterway

Vetterway
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Ah! Things coupe guys don't consider right away. True dat.
You'd need a hooped up convertible top like they gave the Solstice:

Old 12-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by midyear

Excellent work, Midyear. I actually like that look very much. This black/blue '67 is perfect, love what they did with the inside waterfall as well and the mod just flows if you are going with C5 seats.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:35 PM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Quick Reply: Convertible Speedster Deck Lid For 65