C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 L88 clone (tribute car)- Value?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Carlsbadliving1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting discussion. For myself, I happen to prefer matching numbers original and thus sacrificed owning a big block for a restored 67 coupe 327 / 300 with original tank sticker and protect plate. ( Not planning to sell, but I simply like the authenticity which is purely personal preference. ) However, I happen to believe "valuations" are a bit more consistent or predictable for original restored / unrestored that include documentation. Okay.........the vehicle you are entertaining purchase of sounds like a great car. If predictability in value is a low priority, I would buy the car which pleases YOU the most. Can the present owner obtain all monies invested in the recreation upon selling it? ( Probably not, but you as the buyer could offer that which YOU perceive to be fair value and let the negotiating take it's course. ) I wish both you and the seller well!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Really? So you thik that if the base car had been a documentable AL Smith body 67 427 now with a NOM that wouldn't be relevant?

Wake up, Frank! B-J just proved you wrong.

The OP said it is such, so the question are relevant.

Some things other than SWCs are relevant......
You are overly fixated on that car for some reason....so I'm thinking that trumps my SWC affinity.

You're discussing a real (or perceived as real) A.O. Smith vehicle with provenance put forward by a well known authority (whether you believe it of not) vs a complete fabrication of a car (with no excuses made for doing so) that partially mimics the rarest of the rare; with no pretense of being anything other than a fun-to-own copy.

You're comparing apples to pomegranates.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:28 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

If you had $125,000 catching fire in your pocket, would you buy a 1967 L88 tribute car with engineering from the time, or a restomod with new technologies? That's what I'd wrestle with; if you're spending the money, do you go full custom knowing it's the only one in existence, or buy a cloned old car?
Old 08-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 145 Posts

I love OLD Stuff.......

So for me, I would prefer the L88 clone.
I think it would be a blast to drive, and will draw tons of attention at a local show.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
If you had $125,000 catching fire in your pocket, would you buy a 1967 L88 tribute car with engineering from the time, or a restomod with new technologies? That's what I'd wrestle with; if you're spending the money, do you go full custom knowing it's the only one in existence, or buy a cloned old car?
I think it’s to each his own, if you will. The rest-o-mods of today are the street rods of yesteryear; I personally like street rods so I might buy another rest-o-mod someday. On the other hand some people like tributes or clones, I don’t, but I’m way to close to the purist side to be unbiased. Either is worth the most it will ever be worth the day it is completed as the owner makes the final payment. From that point on the recovery is probably 50 cents on the dollar at best. A restored original or rare car might be the same initially but history has shown they have a tendency to recover their value, if done properly.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:10 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I love OLD Stuff.......
then this commercial is for you!

Old 08-13-2015, 03:31 PM
JOHN TOMARO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tHE PRICE OF THE CAR IS $ 65,000.(MINT CONDITION)
i JUST SOLD MY VERY CLEAN 1965 RDSTR , 327-350HP #'S MATCH CAR 2 WEEKS AGO FOR $46,000. iT WAS not A FRAME OFF RESTORED CAR BUT HAD A GREAT PAINT JOB AND INTERIOR.
tHAT'S WHY I FEEL THIS CAR IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY TO ME.
cURRENTLY THERE IS AN OEM L88 HOOD FOR SALE ON EBAY FOR $14,000 alone. And as i stated before the engine does have the GM snowflake aluminum heads and intake. The 1967 L88 did not have a fan shroud or igntion sheilding (all correct).
I very much appreciate all of the feedback you guys are giving me.

Originally Posted by rsinor
I think it’s to each his own, if you will. The rest-o-mods of today are the street rods of yesteryear; I personally like street rods so I might buy another rest-o-mod someday. On the other hand some people like tributes or clones, I don’t, but I’m way to close to the purist side to be unbiased. Either is worth the most it will ever be worth the day it is completed as the owner makes the final payment. From that point on the recovery is probably 50 cents on the dollar at best. A restored original or rare car might be the same initially but history has shown they have a tendency to recover their value, if done properly.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Revfan
What would it cost to make one?

For instance, I have a NOM SB 67 Vert. What would it cost me to make a tribute L88? I paid $40K for the car, how much more would I need to put in it to get to L88 status. Not trying to fool anyone...

20K for the motor?
and what else?
I built one ....................................trus t me........it ain't cheap.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:46 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,269 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Just my own opinion here . . . based on how the car has been described, if it's priced at $65K that sounds like a damned good buy for a damned nice car. Buy it, drive it and enjoy it.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I guess that is where I was going with my "how much does it cost to build one" question.

I haven't seen the car, and don't know how faithful it is to a real L88... but it seems to me that you couldn't even get close for $65K...

You probably couldn't drive a REAL L88... but you could have LOTS of fun with an L88 Clone at $65K.

I say, if it all checks out... go for it!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JOHN TOMARO
i JUST SOLD MY VERY CLEAN 1965 RDSTR , 327-350HP #'S MATCH CAR 2 WEEKS AGO FOR $46,000. iT WAS not A FRAME OFF RESTORED CAR BUT HAD A GREAT PAINT JOB AND INTERIOR.
cURRENTLY THERE IS AN OEM L88 HOOD FOR SALE ON EBAY FOR $14,000 alone. And as i stated before the engine does have the GM snowflake aluminum heads and intake. The 1967 L88 did not have a fan shroud or igntion sheilding (all correct).
If the car you described is available for $65K you better buy it. If you don't .........................please put me in touch with the seller.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:39 AM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JOHN TOMARO
Well worth it for sure. But what do you do with a car like that? Race it or show and shine it?
Old 08-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,989 Likes on 4,808 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Owning a L88 clone is like a double edge sword. On one side it would a fun car at local shows attracting all the know it calls trying to impress there wives or girlfriends explaing why that car could sell for millions like they saw on TV.
The other side is if the engine is built like a OEM L88 it would be no fun driving it though any town with no street manors and overheating problems. And if you fix those problems it won't look and sound like a L88 anymore Now your left with a NOM BB car like all the others at shows.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:39 PM
JOHN TOMARO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Owning a L88 clone is like a double edge sword. On one side it would a fun car at local shows attracting all the know it calls trying to impress there wives or girlfriends explaing why that car could sell for millions like they saw on TV.
The other side is if the engine is built like a OEM L88 it would be no fun driving it though any town with no street manors and overheating problems. And if you fix those problems it won't look and sound like a L88 anymore Now your left with a NOM BB car like all the others at shows.
The compression was reduced to 11.75 to allow running octane 93 with
a little cam2 or airplane fuel mixed in. I would only be driving short trips. The owner drove it to me from 35 miles away on a 92degree day and the car showed no problems with over heating etc and fired right up multiple times while there. I will be driving it this coming week myself.
The car has under the car exhaust system which really allows the sound of the high compression with solid lifters to resonate. It has the desireable power windows and speed minder . I forgot to add that he did add an auxillary electric cooling fan on the front side of the radiator to help keep the engine temp down when idleing. The owner is a perfectionist and has a collection that includes 7 other 67 427 vettes and 1 small block (all frame off restorations) that are done to perfection. He is extremely knowledgeable of the midyear vettes and i've known him for many years. I consider him to be very honest and respectable. I will try to post some pics later if i can figure out how to do it.
This is a great forum and i have nothing but respect and gratitude for all the great feedback from fellow members.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

John sounds like your talking your self into liking the car more and more. If you like it and happy with owning a clone then sounds like a fun car to play with. I my self would not pay no more then 65k for it. Anything after that your getting into original born with engine big block car prices.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:37 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You are overly fixated on that car for some reason....so I'm thinking that trumps my SWC affinity.

You're discussing a real (or perceived as real) A.O. Smith vehicle with provenance put forward by a well known authority (whether you believe it of not) vs a complete fabrication of a car (with no excuses made for doing so) that partially mimics the rarest of the rare; with no pretense of being anything other than a fun-to-own copy.

You're comparing apples to pomegranates.
Frank -

My apologies for taking so long to respond to your analysis, but I'm busy here at the track in Laguna Seca looking at some real cars, rather than just hypothesizing about those on the web. It would be nice if you took the time to understand my point before turning critical.

The OP originally asked as to the value of the car; all other responders have looked at it only in the context of a L88 clone as it presently exists. My point is to ask about the underlying base condition of the car as it was originally produced. The OP responded that it was an AO Smith bodied 427. Did you miss that?

The other car that you reference was built from a stolen and stripped salvage sale. Do you think it would be so difficult to restore this one to a NOM (as the other one is) stock condition?

The true value of this car may be far more than its worth as a L88 clone. At a 65k purchase price and a now established benchmark of 200k for AOS 67 427s, there would be plenty of room to put it back to original and make some money. Heck, the hood and engine could be sold off to recoup a big chunk of the costs!

Of course documentation would be critical - that's why I asked my original questions, which you treated so dismissively and derisively.

If you had stopped to think outside the box and looked at the potential big picture before responding you wouldn't have needed to attempt to analyze my state of mind............

Carry on - I'm going back to enjoying some real cars!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 08-14-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I stand by my remarks and I'm in my garage putting new carpet in one of my two 'real' cars. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Oh - the new carpet is NOT going in the split window (for the record)...I'm currently obsessed with the '61 !!

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 L88 clone (tribute car)- Value?

Old 08-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Frank -

My apologies for taking so long to respond to your analysis, but I'm busy here at the track in Laguna Seca looking at some real cars, rather than just hypothesizing about those on the web. It would be nice if you took the time to understand my point before turning critical.

The OP originally asked as to the value of the car; all other responders have looked at it only in the context of a L88 clone as it presently exists. My point is to ask about the underlying base condition of the car as it was originally produced. The OP responded that it was an AO Smith bodied 427. Did you miss that?

The other car that you reference was built from a stolen and stripped salvage sale. Do you think it would be so difficult to restore this one to a NOM (as the other one is) stock condition?

The true value of this car may be far more than its worth as a L88 clone. At a 65k purchase price and a now established benchmark of 200k for AOS 67 427s, there would be plenty of room to put it back to original and make some money. Heck, the hood and engine could be sold off to recoup a big chunk of the costs!

Of course documentation would be critical - that's why I asked my original questions, which you treated so dismissively and derisively.

If you had stopped to think outside the box and looked at the potential big picture before responding you wouldn't have needed to attempt to analyze my state of mind............

Well said Tux. As an owner / builder on a 67 L-88 clone, I agree with your comments 100%. I enjoy my car.................when I can.

Rex
Old 08-14-2015, 03:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Opinions vary.

If your postulation is that the car in question might hit its 'true value' if put back to original (albeit NOM) configuration then have you really answered the question on what the clone is worth, as it sits ?

I'm thinking not.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-14-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Frank -

that only holds true if the car was built and shipped in the FIRST week of production preferably the first or second day. anything after that is a long stretch

Quick Reply: 1967 L88 clone (tribute car)- Value?