C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LS3 hood clearance in C2

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,121 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default LS3 hood clearance in C2

Does anyone know if an LS3 fits under a standard small block hood when installed in a C2?

Thanks,
Old 08-09-2015, 07:27 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

yes it does. jim
Old 08-09-2015, 07:32 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
Does anyone know if an LS3 fits under a standard small block hood when installed in a C2?

Thanks,
Engine goes under fine but there isn't miles of room. I just tried fitting the C6 engine covers to mine and they are hitting the reinforcing under the hood.... bummer.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

Will an Edelbrock Super charger kit fit??
Old 08-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

OK, then, that's one down....

Now, how about any tunnel clearance problems with a 4L65E transmission attached to the LS3?
Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 PM
daz_au
Pro

OK, then, that's one down....

Now, how about any tunnel clearance problems with a 4L65E transmission attached to the LS3?
Search the forum, they have been done and are tight apparently. Needs a new mount fabricated and some finesse setting the height of it. Type something like this into google for a head start :

4l65e tunnel site:www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes

Last edited by daz_au; 08-09-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by daz_au
Search the forum, they have been done and are tight apparently. Needs a new mount fabricated and some finesse setting the height of it. Type something like this into google for a head start :

4l65e tunnel site:www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes
Thanks, that'll get me going...

Thinking about putting the 430HP LS3 & 4l65e "Connect and Cruise" system into a 63 convertible. Using a new stock repro frame and unmodified body. I'm hearing that it will fit (snuggly) without body mods...

The body is off. The frame is bare, ready for whatever. I can change anything, but would rather get a handle on all the probable changes before I do anything.

Sounds like I need to modify the engine mounts, cooling, fuel lines and tank, frame cross-member (to make it removable) for sure. Guess I'll need a stronger differential and half shafts. Any other major surprises or stuff I should study up on?
Old 08-10-2015, 12:04 AM
daz_au
Pro

The body is off. The frame is bare, ready for whatever.
Thats a big advantage for sure. There are people on the forum that have done pretty much everything, plenty have raised the tunnel to make more room for bigger transmissions. I just shoehorned the LS3 into mine and bolted it to the muncie.

Did you buy the frame new ? Did you cross-shop the other frame options ? Not sure I would start with a stock frame if buying a new one and going the LS route, the more modern frames are setup for LS plus newer suspension, brakes, rear ends etc....
Old 08-10-2015, 12:04 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, that'll get me going...

Thinking about putting the 430HP LS3 & 4l65e "Connect and Cruise" system into a 63 convertible. Using a new stock repro frame and unmodified body. I'm hearing that it will fit (snuggly) without body mods...

The body is off. The frame is bare, ready for whatever. I can change anything, but would rather get a handle on all the probable changes before I do anything.

Sounds like I need to modify the engine mounts, cooling, fuel lines and tank, frame cross-member (to make it removable) for sure. Guess I'll need a stronger differential and half shafts. Any other major surprises or stuff I should study up on?
make your crossmember removable while the body is off. I used Tanks Inc for my tank and pump setup, works great. I am using my sock diff and halfshafts with a mild cammed LS1 and six speed. depends on how hard you plan to beat on it.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:33 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by gator79
make your crossmember removable while the body is off. I used Tanks Inc for my tank and pump setup, works great. I am using my sock diff and halfshafts with a mild cammed LS1 and six speed. depends on how hard you plan to beat on it.
I'll alter the crossmember. The frame is a stock repro because I really can't get anything but C4 suspension on a custom frame without altering the body. C4 ride is bit choppy for me, so I'm leaving the C2 stuff on there, but may change the steering to rack and pinion.

I was going to use Tanks Inc. for an in-tank pump as electrics are noisy outside the tank.

I'm not gonna flog it, just a driver with the occasional run. The stock LS3 horsepower is really much more than I need. I don't think I can get enough tire under the stock body to really use all that power anyway, even if I wanted to. Could be that a stock diff and halfshafts are fine, I'll consider keeping them until i break something.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:06 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll alter the crossmember. The frame is a stock repro because I really can't get anything but C4 suspension on a custom frame without altering the body. C4 ride is bit choppy for me, so I'm leaving the C2 stuff on there, but may change the steering to rack and pinion.

I was going to use Tanks Inc. for an in-tank pump as electrics are noisy outside the tank.

I'm not gonna flog it, just a driver with the occasional run. The stock LS3 horsepower is really much more than I need. I don't think I can get enough tire under the stock body to really use all that power anyway, even if I wanted to. Could be that a stock diff and halfshafts are fine, I'll consider keeping them until i break something.
I did the Steeroids rack and pinion conversion with an ididit tilt column and aftermarket seats, kept the stock suspension just lowered it. The car drives like a new one. Drove it 6 hours straight on a trip and it was comfortable. This is my build thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-upgrades.html

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 hood clearance in C2

Quick Reply: LS3 hood clearance in C2