C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear end ride height

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Corby
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end ride height

Hello, installed new springs, front and rear on my '66 BB coupe but the rear end is too high. Can the rear leaf spring be adjusted to lower the ride height of the rear end? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,472 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Some people use longer end bolts. If the spring you bought was not made correctly, the results are as you describe. How many leaves are in it? This subject has been covered here before. Do a search and look in the FAQ section at the top of the page. Who made the rear spring? Dennis
Old 07-19-2015, 07:28 PM
Corby
Pro

I'll have to check. Thanks Dennis
Old 07-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

As Dennis asked, you didn’t say who manufactured your spring or the type (steel leaf, composite etc.)?

If it’s a 9 leaf (6/3) Eaton Detroit Spring, I would say put a few miles on it and it should settle in to the correct height.

You also didn’t quantify what is “too high.” A lot of people have a perception of what the height or “look” should be, without any reference. Take a look at your AIM, UPC 4, Sheet B5, and do the measurements.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:47 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

The rear can be lowered by using longer bolts on the two attachments on the ends of the springs. The longer the bolt, the lower it sits. You can use a 10" bolt with a lock nut (nylon insert) and adjust it up and down to your liking. If you go too long the end of the bolt can contact the tire, that's a bad thing.
Before you do anything, post some pictures and some measurements. I sure wouldn't do anything until it was driven a while. It's also possible the bolts that hold the center of the spring were tightened with the weight off the wheels. Full weight of the car needs to be on the spring when those four bolts are tightened so the spring can settle to it's end configuration.
Here's a picture of a car that has used adjustable longer bolts to lower and level the rear. The red arrows point to the bolts.

Name:  long rear bolts.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  106.2 KB
Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Corby
Pro

Thank you 65GGvert. I will try this first. I will also get the specs on the spring. Corvette Forum rocks when your in a pinch.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:27 AM
ATXDB
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

65GVert,

Thanks.. I think you just helped this "newbie" with a question I had about my recently purchased 65 roadster with a new rear spring in it.

When I look at it from the back, it appears the right side rear is a bit lower than the left. Based on your response below, am I correct in assuming I can just tighten the right side bolt and it will raise the right rear end up a bit?

Thanks,

David

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The rear can be lowered by using longer bolts on the two attachments on the ends of the springs. The longer the bolt, the lower it sits. You can use a 10" bolt with a lock nut (nylon insert) and adjust it up and down to your liking. If you go too long the end of the bolt can contact the tire, that's a bad thing.
Before you do anything, post some pictures and some measurements. I sure wouldn't do anything until it was driven a while. It's also possible the bolts that hold the center of the spring were tightened with the weight off the wheels. Full weight of the car needs to be on the spring when those four bolts are tightened so the spring can settle to it's end configuration.
Here's a picture of a car that has used adjustable longer bolts to lower and level the rear. The red arrows point to the bolts.

Attachment 47901691
Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXDB
65GVert,

Thanks.. I think you just helped this "newbie" with a question I had about my recently purchased 65 roadster with a new rear spring in it.

When I look at it from the back, it appears the right side rear is a bit lower than the left. Based on your response below, am I correct in assuming I can just tighten the right side bolt and it will raise the right rear end up a bit?

Thanks,

David
David,

You might be well advised to restart an original thread with this question, as the frequent (and often highly knowledgeable) contributors here may not see your question buried in a thread they have previously reviewed. Just saying. I had a similar problem, did so, and the guys here bombed my thread with more good useful info that I could have found in a month of looking on my own (I had searched the FAQ's, though).

But, in regards to your question, I would place the car, as normally loaded, on a very flat and level surface and take measurements using the AIM dimensions as the reference (also, know the size of your tires and wheels). This will help to find the actual differences side to side and differences from the as-built configuration.

Yes, you can "adjust" your leaf spring bolt height, even use longer springs; however, if there is a substantial unexplained difference in side to side height, it might be wise to try to figure out just why this difference exists, in case it is an indication of a problem.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:03 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Based on your response below, am I correct in assuming I can just tighten the right side bolt and it will raise the right rear end up a bit?

Thanks,

David
Not if you have stock link bolts - the only "adjustment" capability comes along with the 10"-long aftermarket link bolts and Nylok nuts. Also, be aware that factory chassis dimensioning was subject to a tolerance of +/- 3/8", so you could be 3/4" higher or lower on one side than on the other and still technically be in spec.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:05 PM
ATXDB
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

I went out today and measured the difference and the right side is just about 3/4" of an inch lower than the left.

I also looked and I do not have the 10" long bolts and mine has a nut with a cotter pin going through it to secure the bolt it does have on it.

Question... if I loosen the bolt on the right side will the car raise or should I tighten the left side nut to bring that one down?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

David

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Not if you have stock link bolts - the only "adjustment" capability comes along with the 10"-long aftermarket link bolts and Nylok nuts. Also, be aware that factory chassis dimensioning was subject to a tolerance of +/- 3/8", so you could be 3/4" higher or lower on one side than on the other and still technically be in spec.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:27 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

John,

I went out today and measured the difference and the right side is just about 3/4" of an inch lower than the left.

I also looked and I do not have the 10" long bolts and mine has a nut with a cotter pin going through it to secure the bolt it does have on it.

Question... if I loosen the bolt on the right side will the car raise or should I tighten the left side nut to bring that one down?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

David
You have no adjustment, as you have the stock bolts (that's good - leave it alone). If the right is a little lower sitting static, it should be just about right after you get in the car. These cars were not set up with micrometers.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:11 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

You'd have to replace the stock bolts with one with more threads as John said. I have used 8" bolts with nyloc nuts to even out before, but for 3/4" I'd leave it all stock. No one will notice except you, and you won't be able to use your cotter pin. You'll very seldom be sitting on perfectly level ground, and if you're not, the car will be higher on one side than the other. Particularly if one of the front tires is sitting in a "dip". My suggestion is to listen to JohnZ and leave it stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end ride height

Quick Reply: Rear end ride height