C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Big island of Hawaii and Wheels/Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Seth Corbin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big island of Hawaii and Wheels/Tires

Ok so I'm kinda tossing a couple questions out here since i don't want to make lots of separate posts but first of all:

Is anyone from this forum coming out to Hawaii for the cruizin paradise week at the end of the month?

Second, I'm looking for some suggestions on wheels and tires. My 66 C2 is for sale but the market seems kind of slow and the longer it sits, the closer it gets to becoming a daily instead of a garage queen because...well why not? But the knockoff rims have got to go. I'm constantly worried that they are about to fly off and I've had them get wobbly on me a couple times. Obviously I'd like some nice, period correct looking wheels that are a direct bolt up to the stock lug pattern and some better meat. The red stripes look the part but are about as wide as bicycle tires and handle accordingly.

Suggestions?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Corbin
Ok so I'm kinda tossing a couple questions out here since i don't want to make lots of separate posts but first of all:

Is anyone from this forum coming out to Hawaii for the cruizin paradise week at the end of the month?

Second, I'm looking for some suggestions on wheels and tires. My 66 C2 is for sale but the market seems kind of slow and the longer it sits, the closer it gets to becoming a daily instead of a garage queen because...well why not? But the knockoff rims have got to go. I'm constantly worried that they are about to fly off and I've had them get wobbly on me a couple times. Obviously I'd like some nice, period correct looking wheels that are a direct bolt up to the stock lug pattern and some better meat. The red stripes look the part but are about as wide as bicycle tires and handle accordingly.

Suggestions?
Seth,

Hawaii may the best place on the planet to own a Corvette, but as it turns out Hawaii has both the fewest total number of Corvettes of any state, as well as the lowest percentage of Corvettes as a fraction of all registered cars in the state. Even Alaska (!) has more Corvettes that Hawaii - and that's just wrong! I owned my C6 on Oahu for about 6 of the 8 years I lived there, and I can attest that it is the perfect island car.

That said, there are few buyers, so patience is required, and unless you have an unobtainium Vette, it is hard to justify the cost to buy one only to have to ship it off-island. So, you gotta keep searching for that buyer - it takes a while.

I just picked up a set of used knock-offs with red line tires from a local gentleman with a stunning '66 who wanted the look, but didn't want the hassle or concerns of the knock-offs. He used the proceeds from selling his old knock-offs to me to purchase a new set of '67-style bolt on simulated knock-offs and is very happy with his choice.

I don't know the scope of the sale (and have no dog in the hunt) but a vendor in the C1/C2 parts forum is having a knock-off sale right now.

I have several friends on Oahu with C6 Corvettes, maybe they need a C2 to go with it, I know I did. How about posting your car for sale here in the for sale forum?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:57 PM
1964 in 808
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Seth,

What about going to Kona or Hilo on cruise nights, more people = more chances of a sale?

Steven
Old 06-19-2015, 06:43 PM
After38Years
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

My 66 C2 is for sale but the market seems kind of slow and the longer it sits, the closer it gets to becoming a daily instead of a garage queen because...well why not?
Things haven't changed in the 46 years since I left there. (Oahu) Had my '66 shipped there - great car, but no market for selling it when I left in '69, so I shipped it back to the mainland. Still have it!
Old 06-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Seth Corbin
7th Gear

Here is the link to the car.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589823878

There is a fair amount of unobtainium in there so I don't want to get rid of any of the original parts. If I do replace the wheels, it wont be with knockoff lookalikes as I don't really like the look. l'm looking more for something that looks nice but maybe the 67 or later style. I'm still hoping to sell at some point.

Easy Rhino: It's up on craigslist locally as well. Feel free to tell anyone on Oahu.

1964 In 808: Any idea when the meetups are? Have you been to any? I went to a car show here late last year in Kona and kinda got snubbed. Guess I needed to register for the free show so I was denied the empty parking space next to the other C2s. I get it, but still seemed kinda silly.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:25 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,335 Posts

There is a fair amount of unobtainium in there so I don't want to get rid of any of the original parts. If I do replace the wheels, it wont be with knockoff lookalikes as I don't really like the look. l'm looking more for something that looks nice but maybe the 67 or later style. I'm still hoping to sell at some point.

Easy Rhino: It's up on craigslist locally as well. Feel free to tell anyone on Oahu.

1964 In 808: Any idea when the meetups are? Have you been to any? I went to a car show here late last year in Kona and kinda got snubbed. Guess I needed to register for the free show so I was denied the empty parking space next to the other C2s. I get it, but still seemed kinda silly.
I have seen that car and it is beautiful. Gotta to be hard to find a buyer on the Big Island, unless you can induce one of those high-dollar retirees who settled there. It would not be hard to ship it to Oahu, though, with ten times the buyers. GLWS.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:14 PM
1964 in 808
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am on Oahu, you might try going to the shopping mall in Kamuela and put up a for sale sign, (more people with money)

Steven
Old 06-20-2015, 02:09 PM
reedkona
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of car guys gather early Saturday morning in Kona at Big Island Grill. You might stop by, a good place to network.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Seth Corbin
7th Gear

Originally Posted by reedkona
A lot of car guys gather early Saturday morning in Kona at Big Island Grill. You might stop by, a good place to network.
Sounds like a good plan. Any specific time for the early?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:26 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I didn't see a price for the car? Man, that would be some trip to Canada.

What is the price to ship it to L.A.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM
Seth Corbin
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I didn't see a price for the car? Man, that would be some trip to Canada.

What is the price to ship it to L.A.
I've got it listed locally at $65k but it's negotiable (within reason of course). It's about 1100 to the major west coast ports, Seattle, Oakland and San Diego. Not sure about trucking it from there. She runs great. I wouldn't hesitate to take a road trip.

Thanks for looking!

Get notified of new replies

To Big island of Hawaii and Wheels/Tires

Quick Reply: Big island of Hawaii and Wheels/Tires