C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 02:18 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas?

I'm seriously considering a '63 Grand Sport replica. http://www.grandsport2.com/
I've been absolutely smitten with them since I laid eyes on one last year at Road America. Does anyone here have any experience with them or can you point me in the direction of anyone who might?

I'd also consider a used one but I'd really like to build my own engine for it so I'm considering having Jeff Leech of Mid America Industries build me one. If so, I'll be selling my 2000 Camaro SS - a real show stopper and winner of many high profile car shows (in case anyone is interested in buying it). ;)

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:26 PM
lampedusa
Pro

Default Re: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas? (Mecom Racer)

I'm talking with him right now, but talk to JohnZ. He Built one.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:31 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas? (lampedusa)

I built a D&D - the Mid-America requires buying a mid-year coupe and cutting off the front and rear clips to bond on the Mid-America pieces. The D&D (and the new GSR) have their own one-piece body - doesn't require sacrificing a mid-year. Here's a link to a used D&D currently for sale in Connecticut:

http://www.cars-on-line.com/63corv5479.html
Old 08-18-2002, 09:33 AM
65ZR1
Pro

Default Re: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas? (Mecom Racer)

I dont mean to be offensive to anyone but I have seen both the D and D and Mid America grand sports. The ones by Jeff are superior in both the body and frame. You also get a true rack and pinion on the mid america design instead of a race piece on the D and D. Jeff is also a very good guy to deal with. Im buying a firewall and a set of floors off him right now. :D
Old 08-18-2002, 11:36 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas? (65ZR1)

There's a reason for the "race" rack and pinion on the D&D; the inner tie rod pivots on the Corvette rack don't align with the axis of the lower control arm inner pivots, which introduces a bump-steer geometry problem. The Sweet or Appleton sprint-car racks (I used an Appleton on mine) are custom-made to match the location of the lower control arm inner pivots and mount at the same level, so there is no bump-steer issue to contend with. Their pinion angle requires two joints in the steering shaft and a stabilizer bearing, but that's no big deal - I used standard Borgeson parts. Steering geometry has to be carefully matched to suspension geometry and engineered for proper chassis tuning, not just "use stock stuff that fits"; the front track and span between the lower control arm inner pivots is different between the tube frames and the production Corvette front crossmember arrangement, and the rack has to be engineered to accommodate this difference for optimized handling. "The devil is in the details" :D
Old 08-18-2002, 01:16 PM
65ZR1
Pro

Default Re: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas? (JohnZ)

I understand what you are saying. It is possible though to use an oem rack and pinion in the narrowed grand sport tube chassis but not the original c4 unit. I am using a 2000 cavalier rack in the frame that I built. The geometry is correct with very little bump steer. My main concern was that I intend to drive the car extensively and if I have a problem far from home the parts are as near as any auto shop. Just my personal preference. I clicked on your link. Very nice car, do you still have it? :D
Old 08-18-2002, 03:00 PM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas? (JohnZ)

Hi,
Here in Monterey for the HIstoric races there are 3 Grandsport replica's in town, 2 mid america coupes and one D&D Roadster.
I saw the GM real Mcoy GS yesterday in the meuseum tent, and there is one original Grandsport, that was used for the plug, that I beleive is the D&D replica roadster body, in the paddock.

I too am flipping out over them, I want the D&D roadster... bad.
I have located a chassis to use and putting the project on paper this week.

I am interested in the comment that was made tha D&D has a one peice body.
What does he use for doors?
SO if it is a one peice body then we totally avoid fitment issues lit making the front and rear clips meet the A pillir and doors?

Wow, that could save dozens of hours in fittment, and remove a potential project killer.
Has anyone here delt with D&D?
Anyone know the ballpark price for a body only from them?
Does anyone have their brochure or know the track, width, wheelbase, length, etc for this body?
I want to mount it on a modern Trans AM racecar aluminum spaceframe chasis built to take a C4 body. It was built by an engineering/ race firm that designs suspensions for Trans Am racing and is available turnkey.

I'm curious if it would be more economical to go with a GS body or peice together say a 67 body, windshield, doors
Thanks
Old 08-18-2002, 03:08 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas? (Evan Ginsberg)

From what I've heard lately, Jim from D&D has recently passed away. The future of D&D Corvette is uncertain as his partner doesn't seem to be doing anything to keep the business alive. At least not that I've seen or heard. I hope I'm wrong. The website is gone too.

I don't know a lot about the engineering aspects of these cars yet so a lot of what was just posted here went right over my head. :confused:

I just want a wicked weekend driver! I think I'm going to put a modified LS6 with an M6 tranny in it since I'm so familiar with how to work on the LS1 now. Modern drivetrain in a vintage body - just plain wicked. :chevy

Here's a link to a website featuring a Mid America GS. It's awesome. Take a look at the videos. http://www.finishtherace.org/grand.shtml He has a few other really slick Vettes too.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

I built a D&D - the Mid-America requires buying a mid-year coupe and cutting off the front and rear clips to bond on the Mid-America pieces. The D&D (and the new GSR) have their own one-piece body - doesn't require sacrificing a mid-year. Here's a link to a used D&D currently for sale in Connecticut:

http://www.cars-on-line.com/63corv5479.html
That car is sold. I already e-mailed that guy a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the link. That's what I'm looking for.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:12 AM
noelga
Racer

There people do Grand Sports http://www.timelessreplicasinc.com/
Old 08-19-2002, 11:59 AM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas? (noelga)

There people do Grand Sports http://www.timelessreplicasinc.com/
Thank you. I've never heard of them before. Does anyone know anything about this company?

Old 08-19-2002, 01:09 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

I'm seriously considering a '63 Grand Sport replica.
I've been absolutely smitten with them since I laid eyes on one last year at Road America. Does anyone here have any experience with them or can you point me in the direction of anyone who might?
You might also try Mike Miller at GSR Replicas (also in Akron) - he and Jeff Nestor (who was with Dean at D&D and who built the pieces for my D&D back in 1996) have partnered in this new company; their first car placed second in this year's "One Lap Of America". Website is http://www.grandsportreplica.com.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:54 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

I'm seriously considering a '63 Grand Sport replica.

You might also try Mike Miller at GSR Replicas (also in Akron) - he and Jeff Nestor (who was with Dean at D&D and who built the pieces for my D&D back in 1996) have partnered in this new company; their first car placed second in this year's "One Lap Of America". Website is http://www.grandsportreplica.com.
JohnZ, THANK YOU!!
Old 08-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Heh John,
Do you think you could post pic's again of your Grand Sport?? Or maybe email some to me at my home at mrkrichman@comcast.net This is a cable connection. Got my juices flowing after reading and looking at these posts. Might also take a plunge in the GS Pool!!!

Also, I noticed differences in the hood's, one has a bunch of louvers and one had air intakes . Could you elaborate on this? What are the different hoods all about? An also,what about being street leagle for state inspection, what needs to be addressed?
Old 08-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas? (Viet Nam Vett)

John, please send those pics to me too. I'd really appreciate it. mark2000ss@attbi.com

I can answer the hood question:
The five original GS cars went through several phases in which different hoods were designed/modified based on what they learned at the track or to accomodate different engines. The first design was pretty much just opened up for air with the forward facing scoops but then they made the louvered hood for the 377 ci engine with the Weber side-draft carbs. The front set of louvers was made to allow more air to flow through the radiator. The side louvers fed the carbs. Which hood you choose is pretty much your choice depending on which 'version' you'd like to reproduce. Otherwise, just personal preference.

This is a great book. Get it at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...49#reader-link

[Modified by Mecom Racer, 12:15 AM 8/20/2002]
Old 08-19-2002, 10:22 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

I'll post the pics here, and whoever wants them can pluck them off (just right-click, then click on "Save Picture As"):

Side View (2nd Design "Sebring" Hood As Raced By Foyt and Cannon):

[img]http://www.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=146487
[/img]

Engine (VERY stout 383):

Interior (center gauges/switches for oil & diff temp, diff cooler pump, fuel pump):

Engine Pre-Run Before Body Drop:

Halibrand Knock-Off Wheels:

The Real GS Engine At Nassau, 1963 (note 1st Design "Nassau" Hood and the HUGE quartet of 58mm Weber carburetors):

The 2nd Design "Sebring" finned hood was developed as a result of severe front end lift at high speed found at Nassau - it was intended to vent high-pressure air entering through the grille; it helped some, but the problem was never really solved.

Registering a Grand Sport varies by State - check your DMV office. A Mid-America can retain the donor car's VIN plate, and can be registered just like any other Corvette; a D&D carries its own kit VIN, and must be registered under whatever your state rules are for kit cars (although there are ways around this I won't discuss here).

Old 08-19-2002, 11:12 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Great Pic's John.. Is that an AC compressor and duct work that I see?????
Bet they could have use that in the bahams..........And No radio??? No Tunes?? Whats AC With Out Tunes????

:lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas?

Old 08-20-2002, 10:47 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas? (Viet Nam Vett)

Yup - Vintage Air A/C - was able to hide everything but the compressor (couldn't mount it low due to interference with the main frame tube); the D&D body has no provision for ventilation like the stocker does, so A/C was a necessity for comfort. No need for a radio - the tunes come out of the (open) sidepipes! :D
Old 08-21-2002, 10:04 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Just got back from visiting Mid America. Jeff is a really nice fellow. He spent around four hours with me showing me the shop, several cars he's working on, as well as a lot of tech-talk. Now I have to crunch the numbers to see whether I can make this happen.

Anyone want to buy a 2000 SS Camaro, 475hp, only 15K miles, totally decked out and a big time show winner? Super Chevy '01 & '02 winner of the modified class, GOLD at Chevy/Vettefest '01.... let me know. I'll have to let it go to get the Vette. :chevy

Old 08-27-2002, 10:51 AM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

ttt

Quick Reply: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas?