C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 10:03 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Nice flares !

Originally Posted by DreamBig
I’m near the end of my project. It’s a 65 with a Mid America Industries frame. I don’t think I had high blood pressure before dealing with Jeff Leech! Here is a couple photos:

Love the flares on your 65 ! Great that you retained the original wheelhouse shape so that they don't detract from the lines of the original C-2 shape. I put some similar but smaller Thumper flares on my 66 back in 1973 for SCCA B Production . Still have it. -- Ken
The following users liked this post:
DreamBig (07-02-2023)
Old 12-08-2020, 10:05 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Hollowaty
I have opened a thread in the Cars For Sale section for my project. Please see 1964 Mid America Project.

Thanks Greg
I can't seem to find it, link?
Thanks
Old 12-08-2020, 10:26 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,543 Likes on 3,008 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by keystonefarm
You have that right Jim !! Gary at Mongoose over the past few years has picked up at Jeff's shop a number of GS projects that Jeff collected the money for and did not finish. When I visited Gary back in September 2020 he showed me another GS coupe he had picked up from the MId America estate . It was another not finished but fully paid for Jeff Leach production. I'll miss talking with Gary about the Mid America follies !!! ------ Ken
I'm curious, Ken, what was Gary planning to do with the MAI cars? Surely he wasn't going to finish them for the owners at no additional cost.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:43 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Jim I'm not sure. I know one just sat there for awhile as there was a law suit against Jeff going on. The coupe was there when I was there in September. I should be going there soon to pick up my GS so I will take a look when I am there. -- Ken
Old 10-13-2022, 11:28 AM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Jim I'm not sure. I know one just sat there for awhile as there was a law suit against Jeff going on. The coupe was there when I was there in September. I should be going there soon to pick up my GS so I will take a look when I am there. -- Ken
Ken it has been a while do you still have your GS? Jim good to see you here as well. I sold mine to a guy in Norway built a 71 Road race corvette it is now floating around on youtube and now I have a rust free 72 Camaro that keeps me busy. Jeff Leech past away a couple years back.
Kevin
Old 10-13-2022, 11:35 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by vstol
Ken it has been a while do you still have your GS? Jim good to see you here as well. I sold mine to a guy in Norway built a 71 Road race corvette it is now floating around on youtube and now I have a rust free 72 Camaro that keeps me busy. Jeff Leech past away a couple years back.
Kevin
Wow, talk about a voice from the past!!!!

Yep, I'm still here and my MAI GS keeps me company down in my shop. My bride's D&D GS went to NC 3 or 4 years ago.

Jim
Old 10-13-2022, 09:21 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Wow a definite voice from the past !! I am currently Grand Sport less. Sold my Mongoose back in May it's now in Michigan and my D&D about 5 years ago. I still have my 66 and intend to keep it for awhile !! In Jan 2023 I will have owned the 66 for 51 years !! -------- Ken
Old 10-13-2022, 09:26 PM
tacamo
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.superformance.com/factor...te-grand-sport
Old 10-13-2022, 09:43 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Wow a definite voice from the past !! I am currently Grand Sport less. Sold my Mongoose back in May it's now in Michigan and my D&D about 5 years ago. I still have my 66 and intend to keep it for awhile !! In Jan 2023 I will have owned the 66 for 51 years !! -------- Ken
You have my sympathies, Ken. I can still go look at mine, even though it hasn't turned a wheel in anger in over ten years.

Old 06-17-2023, 02:18 PM
mr songman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hi there

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
You have my sympathies, Ken. I can still go look at mine, even though it hasn't turned a wheel in anger in over ten years.
I boght Kevins MA grand sport. No sucsess to get it registerd in Norway, so it is now for sale. You can say i gave up on Norway.
I take the c4 engine out of the car, and she will have a older 350 engine with 4x45DCOE Weber carbs. All rebuild with alu heads. The tranny is still the 6 speed zf. Not total assamblyed by now. Anyone interested?
Old 06-17-2023, 02:33 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by mr songman
I boght Kevins MA grand sport. No sucsess to get it registerd in Norway, so it is now for sale. You can say i gave up on Norway.
I take the c4 engine out of the car, and she will have a older 350 engine with 4x45DCOE Weber carbs. All rebuild with alu heads. The tranny is still the 6 speed zf. Not total assamblyed by now. Anyone interested?
What is the issue with registering a MAI Grand Sport in Norway? It's built around a real Corvette birdcage and has a real Corvette VIN. What more does Norway want?
Old 06-19-2023, 06:56 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

What is the issue with registering a MAI Grand Sport in Norway? It's built around a real Corvette birdcage and has a real Corvette VIN. What more does Norway want?
it uses the tubular frame with C4 suspension and the frame number doesn’t match with the VIN.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:31 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by groovyjay
it uses the tubular frame with C4 suspension and the frame number doesn’t match with the VIN.
OK, thanks. I didn't know that. So if a car is damaged so badly that a frame swap is necessary, it becomes unregisterable?
Old 06-30-2023, 11:33 PM
mr songman
Intermediate

OK, thanks. I didn't know that. So if a car is damaged so badly that a frame swap is necessary, it becomes unregisterable?
If you have the old frame still on the car you can fill in an request, but you will need to use a simular type frame to the factory spec, -no tube frame. - so in my case this case is finaly closed. So even the fact that the MA grand sport is the most solid build of the replicas, -in Norway they say tumb down.
Old 07-01-2023, 01:12 AM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 984 Likes on 780 Posts

Time to move !! Just kidding .Sorry you have to live with that .
Old 07-02-2023, 01:03 AM
mr songman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by silver837
Time to move !! Just kidding .Sorry you have to live with that .
Oh, well i try to make my way around. I bought a 64cpe that was in real bad shape in the fiberglas.🙃 So I try to build this as close to the GS look as I can. -But with factory frame. Anyone know where to get clear headlamp-covers?
Old 07-02-2023, 10:10 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Oh, well i try to make my way around. I bought a 64cpe that was in real bad shape in the fiberglas.🙃 So I try to build this as close to the GS look as I can. -But with factory frame. Anyone know where to get clear headlamp-covers?
i have a pair and I’m coming to Norway in september

what if you just swapped the frame to an original C2 chassis and get the car street worthy? Then you can upgrade the stock chassis with aftermarket stuff to be even better than the C4 stuff... just a thought

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas?

Old 07-06-2023, 11:35 AM
mr songman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groovyjay
i have a pair and I’m coming to Norway in september

what if you just swapped the frame to an original C2 chassis and get the car street worthy? Then you can upgrade the stock chassis with aftermarket stuff to be even better than the C4 stuff... just a thought
Yes, that is a good idea, I try to check it out,! I sure like to buy the lamp covers from you, can you bring them along in September? What price are you thinking?
Old 07-09-2023, 05:27 PM
Greg Hollowaty
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

If you have the old frame still on the car you can fill in an request, but you will need to use a simular type frame to the factory spec, -no tube frame. - so in my case this case is finaly closed. So even the fact that the MA grand sport is the most solid build of the replicas, -in Norway they say tumb down.
Please do not give up on getting your MA tube chassis car registered. The evaluation group is wrong when they have concluded that tube chassis’s are NOT “Similar type to factory spec” as indicated above.

The General Motors factory did design, fabricate and produce a C-2 TUBE chassis. The GM Tube chassis’s were structurally tested and fabricated specifically for the C-2 body. I recommend that you find a way to appeal their conclusion by presenting the following documentation that will clearly illustrate and describe the Similarities of the MA tube chassis and the GM tube chassis.

Publications
  1. CORVETTE – American’s Star- Spangled Sports Car
Author – Automobile Quarterly Publications

Date: 1978

Chapter 13 – Grand Sport Adventure –Tube Chassis photos and details.

1. CORVETTE GRAND SPORT STORY
Author – Lowell c. Paddock

Date: 1989

Chapter 1 – Birth of the Grand Sport – Page 20, 21, Full details of the GM Tube Chassis and photos of the pneumatic testing structure use to perform the stress evaluation of the Tube chassis design.

Your Mid America Tube chassis meets the established requirement that you must use a Similar Type of Frame as to the GM fabricated C-2 Tube chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
CORVETTE AMERICA'S.pdf (73.7 KB, 28 views)
GRAND SPORT BOOK COVER.pdf (74.0 KB, 23 views)
GM C-2 Tube Chassis.pdf (46.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-11-2023, 02:51 PM
mr songman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greg Hollowaty
Please do not give up on getting your MA tube chassis car registered. The evaluation group is wrong when they have concluded that tube chassis’s are NOT “Similar type to factory spec” as indicated above.

The General Motors factory did design, fabricate and produce a C-2 TUBE chassis. The GM Tube chassis’s were structurally tested and fabricated specifically for the C-2 body. I recommend that you find a way to appeal their conclusion by presenting the following documentation that will clearly illustrate and describe the Similarities of the MA tube chassis and the GM tube chassis.

Publications
  1. CORVETTE – American’s Star- Spangled Sports Car
Author – Automobile Quarterly Publications

Date: 1978

Chapter 13 – Grand Sport Adventure –Tube Chassis photos and details.
  1. CORVETTE GRAND SPORT STORY
Author – Lowell c. Paddock

Date: 1989

Chapter 1 – Birth of the Grand Sport – Page 20, 21, Full details of the GM Tube Chassis and photos of the pneumatic testing structure use to perform the stress evaluation of the Tube chassis design.

Your Mid America Tube chassis meets the established requirement that you must use a Similar Type of Frame as to the GM fabricated C-2 Tube chassis.
Thanks so much, well, i will sure give it a try. I try, and I come back with updates👍 Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
jim lockwood (07-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Anyone here familiar with Mid America Industries Grand Sport replicas?