C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61 high amp charge

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by vettepoor
Joe - I have been following your thread as I have been having a similar problem with my 57(stock generator and VR). Gauge operates normally except when I use turn signals, when it shows higher than usual charging on gauge. I would think it should show slight discharge at idle? Fine at cruising speed (normal charging), also discharge shown when lights on at idle. I've checked voltage across battery terminals and all seems normal. Very puzzling!
One of the advantages of alternators is that they can charge at an idle; generators are not so great at this. So, depending on the load and how the V/R is adjusted...you may well see the needle go negative at idle. Not so sure that isn't normal behavior.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:14 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,038 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I think what he said was his needle moves between center and charge with his blinkers on instead of the other way around. Maybe his meter is wired backwards?

Dan
Old 06-25-2015, 03:34 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dplotkin
I think what he said was his needle moves between center and charge with his blinkers on instead of the other way around. Maybe his meter is wired backwards?

Dan
Dan - That is exactly what is happening that has me stumped. Needle drifts left at idle, as expected, except when blinkers are in use. I've checked for loose wires, and gauge is wired correctly. Maybe some corrosion in turn signal assembly could be causing this?

John
Old 06-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Folks should be aware that the GM (and GM licenses schematics) have the ammeter wires reversed in the document...doesn't hurt anything but your gauge will read backwards.
Dr. Rebuild's schematics have them correct.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:59 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 570 Likes on 343 Posts

Frank I believe the AIM is what shows the wires reversed. Fixed in the '62 AIM IIRC.

The wiring diagrams actually don't show proximity of their orientation.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:08 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,038 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vettepoor
Dan - That is exactly what is happening that has me stumped. Needle drifts left at idle, as expected, except when blinkers are in use. I've checked for loose wires, and gauge is wired correctly. Maybe some corrosion in turn signal assembly could be causing this?
John

I don't know that I'd let that bother me so long as its charging properly. My only guess is that you have a relay/timer type flasher unit instead of the stock thermal unit. The relay types can introduce reverse EMF (voltage) in the circuit each time the coil voltage collapses (bulbs flash off), just a guess. Look under the dash & tell us what kind of flasher unit lurks there.

Dan
Old 06-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 320 Posts

Joe, it would be a good idea to periodically check the voltage at the battery with the engine running for a while (if the ammeter is doing strange things) just to be sure you don't have an overcharge condition which could damage things. Better to be on the safe side and it will give you peace of mind.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:55 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dplotkin

Dan
The indication is correct.

I drove it again today, all indication on amp meter and other electrical functions are normal.

Thanks

Joe
Old 06-25-2015, 07:27 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Just curious, what is the purpose of the big (thumb size) capacitor on the amp meter ?

Do not think that is a factor in our analysis, capacitor either works or does not work...just curious.

Joe
Old 06-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by rich5962
Frank I believe the AIM is what shows the wires reversed. Fixed in the '62 AIM IIRC.

The wiring diagrams actually don't show proximity of their orientation.
Does that mean which ammeter terminal individual wires go to?
If so, I agree
Old 06-26-2015, 07:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by devildog
Just curious, what is the purpose of the big (thumb size) capacitor on the amp meter ?

Do not think that is a factor in our analysis, capacitor either works or does not work...just curious.

Joe
The only capacitor on these cars that ISN'T for radio noise suppression is under the distributor cap
Old 06-26-2015, 07:29 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 570 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Does that mean which ammeter terminal individual wires go to?
If so, I agree
Yes, sorry if I appeared to add some confusion to the explanation. Next time I'll try to eschew obfuscation with a simpler answer.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by rich5962
Yes, sorry if I appeared to add some confusion to the explanation. Next time I'll try to eschew obfuscation with a simpler answer.
Yeah - don't be getting too big for your britches down there in the hinterlands of Florida, not like you live with us highfalutin' folks near Disney

Anyway, I'm back to the gauge/wiring on this problem. IIRC Devildog has a 500 horsepower beast crammed in his '61. I'm thinking during his high-RPM runs and when he's got the car bouncing a little starting up that monster; his intermittent problem occurs. I think a complete wiring chase down is called for and perhaps a gauge swap. Meantime I'd pull all the fuses and start it up cold just for grins and see if the problem occurs...
Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yeah - don't be getting too big for your britches down there in the hinterlands of Florida, not like you live with us highfalutin' folks near Disney

Anyway, I'm back to the gauge/wiring on this problem. IIRC Devildog has a 500 horsepower beast crammed in his '61. I'm thinking during his high-RPM runs and when he's got the car bouncing a little starting up that monster; his intermittent problem occurs. I think a complete wiring chase down is called for and perhaps a gauge swap. Meantime I'd pull all the fuses and start it up cold just for grins and see if the problem occurs...
I have driven it several times with the old V/R reinstalled and after tightening the wires and connections. All is functioning properly, I will watch the amp meter to see if it upsets again.

Frank, now lets not exaggerate my little SBC engine does not make 500 hp, it dynoed only 496 with 470 tq. It does not actually vibrate when I get on it, but does sort of try to do a climbing right turn in the old C-1 frame.

Joe

Quick Reply: 61 high amp charge